Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Faulty product or not, that is exactly how you do not contact a company for warranty/refund. People are much more kind if you are kind. I work retail, I am much more willing to go above and beyond to someone that is not trying to make scene.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I am curious about them breaking, might not buy another pair, but I guess I am not worrying about the pair I am riding right now.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Headset cable routing on the carbon frame, with what looks like a fiddly stem. Heaven forbid you want to change it...
1682003769055.png

Also, the stench of bullshit from this quote:
Love it, or more likely hate it, the new Tyee features integrated cable routing through the headset. Carbon frames exclusively so; the aluminum versions still also feature regular cable openings to have the option to route cables into the down tube on the side just behind the head tube.
Propain wasn't shy about mentioning that their first impression was that they hated the headset routing idea. But once they spent time with the system they couldn't help but notice the benefits: it looked clean, and because of the way the cables were routed ended up making no noise on the trail even without having to tie cables together, which was an aspect that they couldn't ignore.
Come on, the benefits are it looks clean and less noise? :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1:

And if its so great, why does the aluminum frame still have holes available for regular internal cable routing? Eh, EH?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, I was rolling my eyes hard when I read how they had to go to all these extra lengths to make it suck less (like sleeve for fork, clip on stem spacers, specially made part to work with their house brand stem.

OR... they could have just done bolt on cable clamps at normal internal routing.

The contract frame makers over in Taiwan must have been pushing this internal routing shit so hard.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not defending that saddle but are you saying that occasionally picking up a 55 lb e-bike by the saddle will create a risk of dropper post breakage more than a full-grown human bouncing up and down on it (sometimes even on trails)? :think:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not defending that saddle but are you saying that occasionally picking up a 55 lb e-bike by the saddle will create a risk of dropper post breakage more than a full-grown human bouncing up and down on it (sometimes even on trails)? :think:
I know my previous KS Lev's, no idea about my current Bike Yokes, said not to lift by the saddle when the post is dropped.

I presume it's to do with the way the air seals/cartridges are implemented, pushing down with your ass applying force in the opposite direction to pulling up.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts

Headset cable routing on the carbon frame, with what looks like a fiddly stem. Heaven forbid you want to change it...
View attachment 192734

Also, the stench of bullshit from this quote:

Come on, the benefits are it looks clean and less noise? :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1: :disgust1:

And if its so great, why does the aluminum frame still have holes available for regular internal cable routing? Eh, EH?
I bought the 2022 frame a few months back and the cable routing under the BB might be the worst I’ve ever seen. Seems like they fired the asshole that designed that and hired a bigger asshole to design the cable routing up front.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Faulty product or not, that is exactly how you do not contact a company for warranty/refund. People are much more kind if you are kind. I work retail, I am much more willing to go above and beyond to someone that is not trying to make scene.
I have told this story before, and will say it again, but the first thing I did when I was establishing my shop when I got a bike warranty claim was call the sales dudes, and find out if the warranty dude was a drinker or not. If yes, I would send a bottle of Jack with the frame or fork or whatever, if not I would have a pizza delivered around three PM.
For Smith warranties I always included hard candies, as they were in SLC, so you never knew.
I never once had a warranty denied (but I certainly told a customer or two to not bother).
The claim always included a polite ‘turd sandwich’ intro, you know, “Heey guys we love your products, and love selling them! Unfortunately, the crown broke, and our customer lost all of their teeth. Can you take care of them? We look forward to recommending your products again soon, cheers!”
I am still friends with the warranty manager from Giant, he was a Harley ex 1%-er type, and was tickled pink.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have told this story before, and will say it again, but the first thing I did when I was establishing my shop when I got a bike warranty claim was call the sales dudes, and find out if the warranty dude was a drinker or not. If yes, I would send a bottle of Jack with the frame or fork or whatever, if not I would have a pizza delivered around three PM.
For Smith warranties I always included hard candies, as they were in SLC, so you never knew.
I never once had a warranty denied (but I certainly told a customer or two to not bother).
The claim always included a polite ‘turd sandwich’ intro, you know, “Heey guys we love your products, and love selling them! Unfortunately, the crown broke, and our customer lost all of their teeth. Can you take care of them? We look forward to recommending your products again soon, cheers!”
I am still friends with the warranty manager from Giant, he was a Harley ex 1%-er type, and was tickled pink.
If you gotta do that shit for the company to do the right thing...those aren't the companies I want to be buying from...

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
At the end of the day, companies are run by human beings. Rideit just made sure that the warranty dude would have a good day at work and at the same time, he ensured he would reach his goal.
I don't know Rideit but he seems like a good guy to me! :cheers:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Me neither but you can watch it anyway.
Ohhh, he sounds like a dick.
Then again, I have assumed that you'd have to be a bit dickish to want those cranks anyway.

As a fatty boombalatty, I have accepted that Saints are the perfect crank for every bike.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
If you gotta do that shit for the company to do the right thing...those aren't the companies I want to be buying from...
Yeah, it wasn't a 'gotta do', it was a 'want to do'. And we are talking about Giant, Rocky, Titus, Fox, Marzocchi, Smith, Maverick, etc.
It was miraculous how much stuff we got sent to us for free, frames, forks, clothing, swag.
And when we went to trade shows, etc, they knew us, it was so fun.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Trying to remove a Sram DUB crank from the girlfriend's bike. Holy shit, how'd I do this last time? The crank bolt is stuck.....again.

I need a bigger leverage bar for my leverage bar.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Trying to remove a Sram DUB crank from the girlfriend's bike. Holy shit, how'd I do this last time? The crank bolt is stuck.....again.

I bought an 18” breaker bar and a hex bit for it. Leaned the bike against a wall while standing on the left pedal and used my right foot to stand on the breaker bar to snap it loose. Completely asinine.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

I keep hearing horror story's so got a bit paranoid.
I pull that sucker apart for a clean and re-grease a couple times a season.
So far, no problems - oh shit - that was out loud.

Fuck. :tinfoil:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

This is what various sizes of PVC pipe are nice for...in addition to setting crown races, seals, making spacers for dropouts when in transit, etc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And my method is, tighten with a breaker bar...get it off with a breaker+PVC extension. Works every time.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I bought an 18” breaker bar and a hex bit for it. Leaned the bike against a wall while standing on the left pedal and used my right foot to stand on the breaker bar to snap it loose. Completely asinine.
Yeah wtf. I tried exactlywhat you did, but it felt like somethingwas going to snap and impail my leg. My steel leverage bar was bending.

Ended up putting some PB Blaster on the bolt and having a beer. It came loose on that attempt, but it made a god awful creaking noise as it extracted itself.
y'all make me love my xt cranks. never die, easy to bolt and unbolt, no screwy standards...and you can buy a whole lotta beer with the difference in eewing price...
I need to make a new rule for the house - NO stupid single bolt cranks allowed.

I just put SLX cranks on my bike and what a dream. I missed how easy and well they mount up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah wtf. I tried exactlywhat you did, but it felt like somethingwas going to snap and impail my leg. My steel leverage bar was bending.

Ended up putting some PB Blaster on the bolt and having a beer. It came loose on that attempt, but it made a god awful creaking noise as it extracted itself.

I need to make a new rule for the house - NO stupid single bolt cranks allowed.

I just put SLX cranks on my bike and what a dream. I missed how easy and well they mount up.
I've always had luck with resting a pedal on top of a stack of wood and just whacking a regular allen wrench with a dead blow. An impulse seems to work with those more than just straight torque.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've always had luck with resting a pedal on top of a stack of wood and just whacking a regular allen wrench with a dead blow. An impulse seems to work with those more than just straight torque.
Yeah. defo. Generally I'll lean the bike against a wall. cranks level with driveside pedal forwards. insert long 8mm allen key then apply the rear brake before standing with my right foot on driveside pedal and left on the allen key. and slamming down on the allen key. BANG!
if really stubborn sheath the Allen key with the 1 1/8 crown setter for more leverage. last resort heat the bolt. Never failed (yet)

I hate DUB and generally run HTII on all my own bikes

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
y'all make me love my xt cranks. never die, easy to bolt and unbolt, no screwy standards...and you can buy a whole lotta beer with the difference in eewing price...
I haven't seen any technology yet that even slightly tempts me to step away from running HTII cranks on my bikes. I have run XTs on enduro and trail bikes for the past 10 years without issue and I regularly smack them on rocks and stuff. Plus my ability to clear jumps fully has been described as "needs encouragement" and my landing style described as "baby elephant".

They're not even expensive, nor is there a weight penalty worth worrying about. They just fucken work. You can buy a like 20 HTII BBs for the price of some of the competitions offerings as well and you get years out of them.

It really is hard to have sympathy for people who "upgrade" from HTii offerings and then break cranks or have issues.