Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
From the company's website: "Snipptec has developed several processes that permanently change carrier materials using different electromagnetic treatments with different wavelengths. This carrier material is cast in so-called converters and interacts with the test vehicle when it is glued on. This interaction leads to altered vibrational patterns."

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Edited for a more accurate translation :
From the company marketers' website: "Snipptec has developed several processes that permanently imaginary change carrier materials perception using different electromagnetic imaginary treatments with different wavelengths pieces of material. This carrier material is cast in so-called "converters" and interacts with sticks on the test vehicle when it is glued on. This interaction leads to altered vibrational patterns small material shapes glued onto a vehicle."

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Quality control is a big one that's starting to try my patients... especially fox...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’m old enough to remember the Girvin Flexstem. I think AMP did one as well

IMG_9590.jpeg

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I’m old enough to remember the Girvin Flexstem. I think AMP did one as well

View attachment 196331
A couple days ago when I visited my friend's bike shop there was this hipster building a new gravel bike with the XXI century version of that abomination. I couldn't help but telling him "it was a bad idea back in the 90s, it's still a bad idea nowadays".

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Vecnum and Redshift are selling these abominations to naive Gravel enthusiasts now. Presumably sold on the premise it gives their bar bag a smoother ride with the slight downside of reducing the riders actual control of their bicycle

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
ergonomics are self adjusting ;)
Plus none of the jerrys with them seem to notice when their headset develops play - Bonus fore and aft suspension WIN!

specialized's BS marketing on the system is so hilarious it prompts you to check the date

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Suspension stems...

...For those days when you just can't get
your bike's sprung mass high enough

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Endurbro riding buddy just posted this on his insta this morning ...
Polish_20230705_103951708.png

:rofl:

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Agreed!
Something I just realised is that 32x52 is the same ratio as 22x36 which was the lowest ratio with a triple crankset and a 10s cassette back in the days I started mountainbiking. The likelihood of running the same wheel size on each ratio is rather low and 22x36 was pretty useless at the time. My conclusion is that the industry got better at offering useful ratio with only one "minor" downside in the form of gigantic cassettes...
When 9 speed came out cassettes jumped from 28t to 32. Most of us thought this was dumb since combined with the 22t small ring it was unusably low. When 10spd came out and 32 became 36 we just figured everyone had forgotten how to calculate gearing and choose the best gear for a steep climb. I ran 3x8 (22,32,40 11-28) on my XC bike until I switched to 27.5 wheels and 1x11 at the same time.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Vecnum and Redshift are selling these abominations to naive Gravel enthusiasts now. Presumably sold on the premise it gives their bar bag a smoother ride with the slight downside of reducing the riders actual control of their bicycle
You have no idea. When I was at Cane Creek, we kept spreadsheets for requested products - things like "why don't you make a 170 or 180mm helm? etc.

I'd say about 85% requests were for one specific product. You may be able to guess where this is going. Hundreds and hundreds of requests for suspension stems similar to the thudbuster/eeSilk.

But that said, oddly I find that to *not* be one of the things dumb about the industry. People have wanted that stuff since way longer than bike companies were offering any thought out products. If somebody wants to take a weight penalty so that they can experience less vibration in their bars while they go ride on gravel then who am I to tell them they're dumb (for that reason anyway). I'll save my efforts for telling them they're dumb for riding a gravel bike, and its the worst parts of road bikes and mountain bikes combined into one shitty experience.

It's the shit that nobody asked for that makes things demonstrably worse so that some marketing wanks can have a circle that frustrates me the most.15mm boost followed by SRAMS "actually we want bigger so we're going to make a wombo combo of stupid with stupid fucking torque caps because for some reason just sticking with the already established 20mm standard is bad."

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
JC, is that BMXing?
Nope. Roadbike. On the flat. Seated and clipped in. (The only bike I do clip in on) . Needs to be certain gearing (with fairly low resistance). Can manage over 200 on mtb with flats.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I ran 3x8 (22,32,40 11-28) on my XC bike until I switched to 27.5 wheels and 1x11 at the same time.
Interesting that you didn't go straight to 29" from 26". I did the same!

Here is what I started mountain biking with compared to what I run today

I also had a single chainring with a 10 speed cassette at some point. 30 or 32 teeth up front with a 26" wheel