Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Interesting that you didn't go straight to 29" from 26". I did the same!

Here is what I started mountain biking with compared to what I run today

I also had a single chainring with a 10 speed cassette at some point. 30 or 32 teeth up front with a 26" wheel
Until modern XC bikes came out (2017 Spark RC) I resisted riding a full-on XC bike. My XC race bikes were a Yeti 575, then an Ibis Mojo SL with 26". Then that bike got a 27.5 front wheel in its Maverick fork. Then it was replaced with a 5010. I knew I was giving up some efficiency but if the bike wasn't fun to ride I'd pass it over for my freeride bike.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not a "what's wrong" so much as "what's fucking expensive but not entirely an improvement"
Fitted this little lot yesterday...

_20230707_141908.JPG

Cassette is a work of art (apart from the red plastic set up sprocket indicator). impressively light (370g). Chain feels stiffer laterally than OG eagle. And so it fucking should at £105 a pop for a not even top teir chain. Drivetrain took longer to fit and set up than a mechanical drivetrain but TBF I must've done half a million of those and this was my first T type AXS. Shifts perfectly. But noticeably slower shifts over 1st gen AXS. which was way slower in comparison to 10spd nevermind an old skool 8spd 11-28.
Chainset looks great but I'm really not a fan of the sharp edge crank arm profile. Also something to bear in mind is the 55mm chainline just doesn't work properly with certain idler set ups and will need to be run offset (non drive side spaced out further than ideal) . Oh... Well.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not a "what's wrong" so much as "what's fucking expensive but not entirely an improvement"
Fitted this little lot yesterday...

View attachment 196616

Cassette is a work of art (apart from the red plastic set up sprocket indicator). impressively light (370g). Chain feels stiffer laterally than OG eagle. And so it fucking should at £105 a pop for a not even top teir chain. Drivetrain took longer to fit and set up than a mechanical drivetrain but TBF I must've done half a million of those and this was my first T type AXS. Shifts perfectly. But noticeably slower shifts over 1st gen AXS. which was way slower in comparison to 10spd nevermind an old skool 8spd 11-28.
Chainset looks great but I'm really not a fan of the sharp edge crank arm profile. Also something to bear in mind is the 55mm chainline just doesn't work properly with certain idler set ups and will née to be run offset (non drive side spaced out further than ideal) . Oh... Well.
I mean, the prices are whats wrong with the industry.

Speaking of which, I saw this while scrolling the news yesterday and lol'd. If ONLY they knew how common these expensive as fuck bikes are. They should go look at a Scott or Specialized shop.

1688738595212.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I mean, the prices are whats wrong with the industry.
Oh. I know. Entirely ridiculous.
That groupo isn't mine.

I just bought a Deore chainset off CRC for £29 so I can rob the Mk2 Saints back off my GF's bike. #104BCD4LYFyo

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
SRAM marketing sells this as the drivetrain that God wanted to make and is showing people stepping on it like if I was riding in a moshpit or using my bike as a freaking step ladder.

People riding in actual Trails™ , like Blister Review and another one that I forget broke the 150$usd replaceable cage. "It was easy to replace once I got it delivered and I removed the derailleur from the bike". I can get a few 12spd Deore derailleurs for the cost of that replacement part itself.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
SRAM marketing sells this as the drivetrain that God wanted to make and is showing people stepping on it like if I was riding in a moshpit.

People riding in actual Trails™ , like Blister Review and another one that I forget broke the 150$usd replaceable cage. "It was easy to replace once I got it delevired and I removed the derailleur from the bike". I can get a few 12spd Deore derailleurs for the cost of that replacement part itself.
Brought to you by the same people that market brakes as NEW AND IMPROVED, with brake hoses that point at and rub on handlebars.............to make the cockpit cleaner and promote cable tourism.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
SRAM marketing sells this as the drivetrain that God wanted to make and is showing people stepping on it like if I was riding in a moshpit.

People riding in actual Trails™ , like Blister Review and another one that I forget broke the 150$usd replaceable cage. "It was easy to replace once I got it delivered and I removed the derailleur from the bike". I can get a few 12spd Deore derailleurs for the cost of that replacement part itself.
Yeah, but they’ll wear out the clutch and get sloppy long before an x01 does IME, even XTR

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Call me stubborn, but in 2009, I bought a new bike that came with Hussefelt cranks. The thing creaked and I spent hours chasing out where it came from, and it ended up being from the pedal inserts. Paid to ship it to SRAM, packaged it nicely, waited for like 2 months, then got it back in a plastic bag after they declined warranty. Install the thing back on my bike and it creaked even more. Since then, 14 years ago, I have never bought anything else from SRAM except a PC851 chain.

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
So bike shops love to bitch about how people buy too much stuff online, yada yada. But they're unwilling to look at why people do it (beyond price).

Background: a buddy of mine stopped working at one local shop (which had mediocre service) as a mechanic to start his own business a couple years ago, and last year opened his own shop. I like the guy and try to give him business when it makes sense. So a couple weeks ago, I discovered that I've smoked the drivetrain on my ebike after just 6 months and am going to use it as an excuse to get a Transmission setup. I call him up and ask him to check and see what he can get. He said yeah, let me look and get back to you. A couple days go by, no response. I call to check in, he goes to the computer and looks to see what he can get from QBP or SRAM. Says the one groupset I want is out of stock both places but he can get me some parts ala carte, but the cassette is out of stock for another week. I say, that's fine, go ahead and order it, but let me know if it slips because I need this for a trip in late July. I wait until the date that the cassette was supposed to be in stock, and call him to see if it shipped. "Oh, I was waiting to order it until it came in stock, looks like it's pushed a couple more days." OK fine, a few more days, just make sure it happens. I call again yesterday: "Oh man, I'm super busy, a bunch of bike boxes came in, I can't get to the computer, I'll order it tonight." I call again this morning and ask to confirm he ordered it. "Oh man, I was so busy yesterday, I just forgot, I'll go do that now." Fine, but let me know if you don't because I have a schedule I need to meet.

For fuck's sake. You're a shop manager, with like 4-5 mechanics and one person who handles orders, payroll, accounting, etc. How does it take 2 weeks to place an order for something, let alone get it in to the shop? I am TRYING to give my business to you! It was a similar story a few months ago when I wanted to get a wheelset, "Oh, I need to do this and this then I can set up an account and order that for you." A month goes by with no followup, fuck that, I'm just buying direct.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So bike shops love to bitch about how people buy too much stuff online, yada yada. But they're unwilling to look at why people do it (beyond price).

Background: a buddy of mine stopped working at one local shop (which had mediocre service) as a mechanic to start his own business a couple years ago, and last year opened his own shop. I like the guy and try to give him business when it makes sense. So a couple weeks ago, I discovered that I've smoked the drivetrain on my ebike after just 6 months and am going to use it as an excuse to get a Transmission setup. I call him up and ask him to check and see what he can get. He said yeah, let me look and get back to you. A couple days go by, no response. I call to check in, he goes to the computer and looks to see what he can get from QBP or SRAM. Says the one groupset I want is out of stock both places but he can get me some parts ala carte, but the cassette is out of stock for another week. I say, that's fine, go ahead and order it, but let me know if it slips because I need this for a trip in late July. I wait until the date that the cassette was supposed to be in stock, and call him to see if it shipped. "Oh, I was waiting to order it until it came in stock, looks like it's pushed a couple more days." OK fine, a few more days, just make sure it happens. I call again yesterday: "Oh man, I'm super busy, a bunch of bike boxes came in, I can't get to the computer, I'll order it tonight." I call again this morning and ask to confirm he ordered it. "Oh man, I was so busy yesterday, I just forgot, I'll go do that now." Fine, but let me know if you don't because I have a schedule I need to meet.

For fuck's sake. You're a shop manager, with like 4-5 mechanics and one person who handles orders, payroll, accounting, etc. How does it take 2 weeks to place an order for something, let alone get it in to the shop? I am TRYING to give my business to you! It was a similar story a few months ago when I wanted to get a wheelset, "Oh, I need to do this and this then I can set up an account and order that for you." A month goes by with no followup, fuck that, I'm just buying direct.
Sadly that story can be repeated over and over...

Bad customer service, or in this case no service, is how you lose your customers.

We have a shop here, where the owner is just completely disconnected from the reality of the bike world and seems to not give a crap. I stopped shopping there, but have other friends who still try to give him business. Its the same story, either they forget to order stuff or never have anything in stock or have flat out said "just order it online". That last one is puzzling, as they are trying to give you business, yet you can't even be bothered to click the order button? eh.......

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sadly that story can be repeated over and over...

Bad customer service, or in this case no service, is how you lose your customers.

We have a shop here, where the owner is just completely disconnected from the reality of the bike world and seems to not give a crap. I stopped shopping there, but have other friends who still try to give him business. Its the same story, either they forget to order stuff or never have anything in stock or have flat out said "just order it online". That last one is puzzling, as they are trying to give you business, yet you can't even be bothered to click the order button? eh.......

Even when you get good service it can be just as frustrating. Rarely does a shop have what I want, unless it is something I don't care that much about such as a mini pump. But when I do throw business their way it goes like this.

I need XXX bottom bracket, stand in line as patient employee takes 10 minutes to explain how to use the pedal wrench a customer is buying. Get told they don't have the BB I need but they can order it. Few days later I return to pick up my BB. Stand in line as patient employee takes 15 minutes to explain to dipshit customer how to use allen wrenches to install the water bottle cage they are buying. Finally get my hands on the BB I needed after two trips and over an hour invested in travel and standing in line. The LBS is great for people who have no idea what they want or need or how to install it. For people who know exactly what they want and how to use/install it, it makes little sense.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
wear out the clutch and get sloppy long before an x01 does IME, even XTR
Have a 20000mile+ zee mech here which would disagree with this experience.

Is there even a T type derailleur with that sort of mileage on it yet?

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The LBS is great for people who have no idea what they want or need or how to install it. For people who know exactly what they want and how to use/install it, it makes little sense.
A good LBS also makes sense for those last-minute emergency items and impulse buys as well, even for knowledgeable customers. (Brake pads, tires, etc.) That assumes they have what you need or want in stock though, which is a total crapshoot these days.

That said, I generally agree. There will always be a place in my heart for local bike shops but so many can't seem to help themselves, even for people that are trying to help them survive.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Even when you get good service it can be just as frustrating. Rarely does a shop have what I want, unless it is something I don't care that much about such as a mini pump. But when I do throw business their way it goes like this.

I need XXX bottom bracket, stand in line as patient employee takes 10 minutes to explain how to use the pedal wrench a customer is buying. Get told they don't have the BB I need but they can order it. Few days later I return to pick up my BB. Stand in line as patient employee takes 15 minutes to explain to dipshit customer how to use allen wrenches to install the water bottle cage they are buying. Finally get my hands on the BB I needed after two trips and over an hour invested in travel and standing in line. The LBS is great for people who have no idea what they want or need or how to install it. For people who know exactly what they want and how to use/install it, it makes little sense.
If I understand correctly, they ordered the right BB for you and you still complain? You clearly don't know how lucky you are to be dealing with such a fine bike shop.

My story would be very similar to yours, except I'd show up with the part number to help them out, they'd insist on searching the part themselves to be sure of the P/N. I'd point out they got the wrong one and explain why my P/N is the right one. Then I'd go back home, waiting for them to call when the parts gets in. I'd then go pick up the parts after it arrived, to find out they ordered the wrong fucking part, Go back home, etc.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The LBS is great for people who have no idea what they want or need or how to install it. For people who know exactly what they want and how to use/install it, it makes little sense
It's a double edge sword my good man. Ie. It makes fuck all sense for a small business to stock 600+ BBs in every conceivably configuration just to please the occasional "expert" cyclist who didn't plan far enough ahead to order the exact type/style/size/brand BB he *urgently needs*

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
It's a double edge sword my good man. Ie. It makes fuck all sense for a small business to stock 600+ BBs in every conceivably configuration just to please the occasional "expert" cyclist who didn't plan far enough ahead to order the exact type/style/size/brand BB he *urgently needs*
So, you have never had a bearing shit the bed mid-ride?

1688755514355.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If I understand correctly, they ordered the right BB for you and you still complain? You clearly don't know how lucky you are to be dealing with such a fine bike bike shop.

My story would be very similar to yours, except I'd show up with the part number to help them out, they'd insist on searching the part themselves to be sure of the P/N. I'd point out they got the wrong one and explain why my P/N is the right one. Then I'd go back home, waiting for them to call when the parts gets in. I'd then go pick up the parts after it arrived, to find out they ordered the wrong fucking part, Go back home, etc.
The shop that I mentioned above pulled one of these...

Friend needed some new headset bearings, so he swung by afterwork and asked them (said friend goes cross-eyed when I tell him about the different types of bottom brackets and whatnot that exist). They said, nope, have to bring the bike in as they're all different yadda yadda yadda.

So a few days later he swings by again, with the bike. Then, they tell him nope, don't need your bike here are some bearings.

Buddy goes home and swaps it all out. We meet up and ride two weeks ago and he explains what a cockup it was and that the top cap was too big. Seemed weird that some of it wouldn't fit, but ok. First descent it was clear that something was wrong - I told him to stop and take the stem off the bike. Turns out they gave him a stupid Giant overdrive 2 headset or whatever that nonsense crap is.

So he makes a third trip to the shop and asks WTF. The shop kind of laughs and shrugs it off and says oops, heres a regular headset kit.

I'm not even the customer or the one that had to make 3 damn trips to a shop for a few bearings, but that shit is irritating.

:butcher:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I didn't say anything about urgency. Just having to make two time consuming trips to get the same thing in the same amount of time for a 73mm DUB BB that comes on the majority of the MTBs they sell. The LBS business model here is very much focused on the customer who wants to drop off their bike for a few days to get basic maintenance done, which has never been me. There are some shops that actually stock shit I would need but they are an hour plus drive so I'll be damned if I am going there in person. Those also have online stores and I usually order from them when possible.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
we stock the most common ones in store and i can order most other types next day usually from main storage. the only thing you can’t get is stuff at lower than srp. stocking costs.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
This is why I like to have the most common spare parts at home and why I buy some when I stumble upon a sale. That way I never need to go to a lbs in a rush.

I just want to go inside a huge impersonal Bike Parts™ building in my town with every part I'd ever need and self checkout.
IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!!

Just le me know in the comments. Like or subscribe.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just want to go inside a huge impersonal Bike Parts™ building in my town with every part I'd ever need and self checkout.

That would be awesome. Like a NAPA for bike parts.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is why I like to have the most common spare parts at home and why I buy some when I stumble upon a sale. That way I never need to go to a lbs in a rush.

You should open a bike shop :p

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That would be awesome. Like a NAPA for bike parts.
Except all the good stuff is hidden behind the counter and unless you have a Vin number for them to lookup and find the part...... :panic:

Sir I need wipers
What's the Vin number
21" wiper
What's the Vin number
??
Vin number
:banghead:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Call me stubborn, but in 2009, I bought a new bike that came with Hussefelt cranks. The thing creaked and I spent hours chasing out where it came from, and it ended up being from the pedal inserts. Paid to ship it to SRAM, packaged it nicely, waited for like 2 months, then got it back in a plastic bag after they declined warranty. Install the thing back on my bike and it creaked even more. Since then, 14 years ago, I have never bought anything else from SRAM except a PC851 chain.
Yeah, totally different company and products now. Wasnt it the holzfellers that were the decent ones back then? In any case, everything after 1x has been totally different…with the exception of brakes that have sucked till a lot more recent.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So, you have never had a bearing shit the bed mid-ride?

View attachment 196641
I didn't mention bearings bru. Or myself TBF.
I happen to have 9 fully functional bikes so a broken/worn part isn't exactly a big deal but even I "really" had to replace a bearing at short notice I already have spare bearings for every pivot, hub and most of their headsets and the tools to replace them all.
Luck doesn't come into it.

But Booo fucking hoo for you if you have just one bike and have to wait a whole two days for a replacement bearing

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
we stock the most common ones in store and i can order most other types next day usually from main storage. the only thing you can’t get is stuff at lower than srp. stocking costs.
Yeah. us too.
Oddities we'll order in when required

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I didn't mention bearings bru. Or myself TBF.
I happen to have 9 fully functional bikes so a broken/worn part isn't exactly a big deal but even I "really" had to replace a bearing at short notice I already have spare bearings for every pivot, hub and most of their headsets and the tools to replace them all.
Luck doesn't come into it.

But Booo fucking hoo for you if you have just one bike and have to wait a whole two days for a replacement bearing
Thanks for your concern; I have six and a couple frames. However road-trips are a thing and things happen. Spare parts for all eventualities basically means taking a spare bike which is not feasible in all situations so ....

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You guys really do think your cycling hobby is a LOT moar important than it actually is.
Every bike mechanics favourite kind of customer! :brows:

:dirol:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
You guys really do think your cycling hobby is a LOT moar important than it actually is.
Every bike mechanics favourite kind of customer! :brows:

:dirol:

No idea where you are coming up with the "moar important" shit - Projection?
Literally have not set foot in a shop in years and have had work done a grand total of once and that was insurance mandated after recovery of a stolen bike. I'm like you, why would I when I have been building the damn things for 50 years. If that makes me a mechanics dream customer so be it. But that does not negate the fact that shit happens and who knows what the future holds.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Looks like what my buddy Dan build
View attachment 196678

Cable management is probably under evaluation. Not sure :D
That looks way better, STA still looks like it might be a wheelie machine though.