Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I highly recommend riders I'm racing against put more weight on their bike and pay for it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Really?
The derailleur is heavy AF... But all these Leccy ones are. Nothing else is wildly heavy except the cranks. But even those are probably 100g lighter than the saints I run on most of my bikes.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Just watched a video about the new xx and xo cranks.

XO crank 532 grams bolts 8 grams ring 75 grams bash guards 82 grams.

I will see how they last, at 532 you have to spend some big money to get lighter.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I am not happy about the eight bolt chainring.

Makes all my light, old three bolt cranks useless.
Honestly that's my biggest gripe with the Transmission stuff... another new standard. I'm guessing they went to MOAR BOLTz to do the bashguard integration. I've got a set of eeWings that there's zero chance I'm replacing. Currently my only choice for a Transmission compatible chainring is one from Wolf Tooth Drop-Stop B which is out of stock in my preferred 32t. If I use their CAMO setup, I can't use my OneUp Bashguide. If I use NSB's 104bcd spider for eeWings, I'd have to step up to a 34t chainring and I'm not strong enough. :(

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Is t the same s
Honestly that's my biggest gripe with the Transmission stuff... another new standard. I'm guessing they went to MOAR BOLTz to do the bashguard integration. I've got a set of eeWings that there's zero chance I'm replacing. Currently my only choice for a Transmission compatible chainring is one from Wolf Tooth Drop-Stop B which is out of stock in my preferred 32t. If I use their CAMO setup, I can't use my OneUp Bashguide. If I use NSB's 104bcd spider for eeWings, I'd have to step up to a 34t chainring and I'm not strong enough. :(
Isn't it the same bolt spacing but with 3 MOAR drillings?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If I use NSB's 104bcd spider for eeWings, I'd have to step up to a 34t chainring and I'm not strong enough. :(
Why? 32t rings fit on 104s without having to do the goofy offset thing they do for 30s.

Edit: because SRAM's 104 T-Type rings start at 34t

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Why? 32t rings fit on 104s without having to do the goofy offset thing they do for 30s.
SRAM's T-Type 104bcd chainring is only available in 34t & 36t (it's their steel ebike chainring). Wolf Tooth does make a 32t 104 Drop-Stop B but it's not available currently.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
SRAM's T-Type 104bcd chainring is only available in 34t & 36t (it's their steel ebike chainring). Wolf Tooth does make a 32t 104 Drop-Stop B but it's not available currently.
Right, realized that as soon as I wrote it. :D

I'm sure more third party options are coming.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It's 8 bolt vs 3 bolt. I think it's technically not a new standard as it's the same pattern as they used on their road power meters or something.
It's been around for a long time on their road cranks, it's also been around a long time on the high end MTB cranks to allow for power meter.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What's stopping a T type 12spd chain from running on other brands 104 bcd NW rings?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Not sure.

Found on Google: According to SRAM, T-Type chainrings are backwards compatible with Eagle drivetrain chains, but Eagle drivetrain chainrings are not compatible with T-Type Transmission chains and cassettes.

I guess one solution that will come out will be OneUp producing T-Type chainrings for their Switch spider. Buy a Switch spider having the right interface for your crank and the right chainring for your chain. I am already on the OneUp Switch program and I can see myself staying on it for a while.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Not sure.

Found on Google: According to SRAM, T-Type chainrings are backwards compatible with Eagle drivetrain chains, but Eagle drivetrain chainrings are not compatible with T-Type Transmission chains and cassettes.

I guess one solution that will come out will be OneUp producing T-Type chainrings for their Switch spider. Buy a Switch spider having the right interface for your crank and the right chainring for your chain. I am already on the OneUp Switch program and I can see myself staying on it for a while.
Yeah, I'd happily do a Switch setup if they make one that will fit. From what my mechanic told me, the T-Type chain spaces/teeth are slightly narrower and shorter. He said I'd probably be ok using a slightly worn Eagle chainring, it just might be a bit noisier at first until it wears down more.

Edit: chatted with OneUp. Here's what they said:
  • So our chainrings will work with t-type chains however they are not a perfect match
    11:09 AM
  • so like a bit noisy at first? or less chain retention?
  • It will likely wear the chainring and chain out faster than a proper t-type compatible ring will
  • ahh ok
  • Chain retention should still be good, might be slightly more noisy
    11:10 AM
  • are you going to be releasing a newer version to address this soon?
    11:10 AM
  • Unfortunately our chainrings are not a big seller so there isn't quite enough demand for us to make an immediate change, it's something that will likely happen further down the track though

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What's stopping a T type 12spd chain from running on other brands 104 bcd NW rings?
Bigger roller diameter mostly. It kinda sorta meshes with some other rings, especially if they're a bit worn, but it's not ideal.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In motorcycle road racing, they worked very hard to get flex out of frames, then found that frames with some flexibility handled better. This from my friend Kevin Cameron...
that's because they corner at 1g+ while at super high lean angles such that forces perpendicular to the ground surface are effectively mostly lateral wrt the frame and swingarm

most of us do not do this on bicycles eh

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i'll take a little flex over a 40+lb trail bike.
fair enough. Your preference so your call. But if Saint cranks were going to be the last straw, to tip a bike over the 40lb mark it was already balanced precariously on the edge.
FWIW The bikes I have saint cranks on are a 25lb hardtail, a 27lb 140/120mm FS XC/trail bike, a 30lb 120mm FS DJ/slope bike, a 31lb 170/170mm Enduro bike, and 2x 26" Alu DH bikes at 35 and 36lb respectively.
One of the DH bikes and the slope bike are running boat anchor MK1s. The rest MK2s.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
In motorcycle road racing, they worked very hard to get flex out of frames, then found that frames with some flexibility handled better. This from my friend Kevin Cameron...
I didn't mention frame flex.
Or FUCKING motorcycles!
Tell Kevin I don't care.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fair enough. Your preference so your call. But if Saint cranks were going to be the last straw, to tip a bike over the 40lb mark it was already balanced precariously on the edge.
FWIW The bikes I have saint cranks on are a 25lb hardtail, a 27lb 140/120mm FS XC/trail bike, a 30lb 120mm FS DJ/slope bike, a 31lb 170/170mm Enduro bike, and 2x 26" Alu DH bikes at 35 and 36lb respectively.
One of the DH bikes and the slope bike are running boat anchor MK1s. The rest MK2s.
we've both been riding long enough that we remember a time when everything on a bike flexed.