Quantcast

Tips for Moab?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
States can enforce laws that are different from federal ones

Utah has a hate boner for alcohol (thanks mormons) (and you too obummer)

in the beer sections of the supermarket, all the coolers that have beer in them have stickers on the door that says "contains alcohol" in big letters or something like that
Not just Utah. A waiter at the Phoenix airport threw a tantrum when my then-nearly-70yo dad took a sip from my beer.

:crazy:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Damn, I'm glad I don't have your freedoms.

I have not been asked for any ID for alcohol in 30 years.
Legal age in Flatario is 19, and they only ask for ID if you appear to be under 25.
That is at the gub'r-mint alcoo-hol stores, supermarket or restaurant / pub / bar.

...to be 55 and have somebody remove my half-drank beer because of a random piece of paper/plastic expiring. Is not the white beard, wrinkles and the now seriously grumpy demeanor enough?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Generally only do Loma/Fruita/GJ in April as Moab isn't open for all of the enchilada's.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah well I kinda sorta agree, if I had to choose I'd probably pick Whistler over Moab too. That's part of the reason I haven't been back to Moab in over 10 years but have been to Whistler probably 15-20 times in that span. Thing is, we already drove from SF to Whistler (and beyond) this year. Plus my SO/riding partner has never ridden in Moab and it's been on her list for a long time.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
While fun, I prefer Rockstacker/Jacksons over bombing down the Jeep road. Or up-n-over from Rockstacker and finish on Ajab.
I know that's what all the cool kids say and at one time, jackson's was pretty legit. Rockstacker never was, past the first 200ft.

Jacksons is so eroded out in spots your handlebars barely fit between the boulders that used to be on the side of the trail. Plus......it kinda goes not downhill for a lot of it. The jeep road at least goes down. Neither rockstacker or jacksons really do consitently. It's just a few steep spots.

When's the last time you rode those?

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
I was just in Moab for 8 days last month. It was my first time and I had a blast. I went with five other guys who have been going on and off for 20 years, so they pretty much had everything planned and I just got to hang out and not think much.
Some of my takeaways:
I live 600 ft above sea level, so it took like two days to get acclimated to the elevation out there. Knowing this the guys planned the week by doing the easier/ lower elevation rides early and working our way up more technical/longer/higher as the week went on. Seemed to work well.

Poison Spider Bikes was great. We rented from them and did the shuttle through them. I would recommend booking the shuttle as far in advance as you can. Hell, I tried to book a rental bike two months in advance and all the high end ones were already gone.

If you want a quick lunch there is a permanent food truck area in the middle of town. We ate there multiple times. Open air with a shade canopy over the tables and misters to keep you cool. It is across from the hospital.

Also across from the hospital on the other side is a pretty nice looking dirt jump area and pump track. We never made it there, but it looked fun.

If you need a micro SD card for a GoPro or anything electronic go to Radio Shack. That place is stocked really well.

Sunscreen lip balm. The first two days my lips were dry AF.

Fiesta Mexicana was good if you are craving mexican.
Zaks pizza buffet is a must
Moab brewery has good chicken alfredo, but have them substitute the blackened chicken.
Pasta Jays was really good Italian.

It's weird hearing everyone say they needed ID's. We never were asked for ours. Maybe you guys have aged better than us?
One thing to be aware of if you are drinking is that in Utah the legal limit is 0.05 BAC as opposed to 0.08 pretty much everywhere else in the country. There were cops everywhere, but I don't ever remember seeing anyone pulled over, so I am not sure how much enforcement there is. The locals said it would probably go back up to 0.08 because SLC is going to try to get the Olympics back.:clue:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Good stuff Sorgie, thanks. Yeah we are sea-level dwellers too, but we're used to riding at similar (and higher) elevations pretty frequently and tend to acclimate quickly. Good call to ease in though.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
now that I think about it, Navajo Rocks was a nice mellow spin and would make for an easy warm up or day 1 ride.
After riding it for the first time two years ago when we were there with you, wife and I made sure to hit it this last trip on Monday as we hadn't included it last year and both enjoyed it again.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I know that's what all the cool kids say and at one time, jackson's was pretty legit. Rockstacker never was, past the first 200ft.

Jacksons is so eroded out in spots your handlebars barely fit between the boulders that used to be on the side of the trail. Plus......it kinda goes not downhill for a lot of it. The jeep road at least goes down. Neither rockstacker or jacksons really do consitently. It's just a few steep spots.

When's the last time you rode those?
It has been a few years, I could see where Jacksons would be turning into a trench. And while Rockstacker does have some flat to slightly uphill bits, I still think it's pretty fun for the techy maneuvers. But I mean I also like Blue Dot for similar reasons.

EKG and Moore Fun suck, though.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I will add...If you are going to ride a bit of Ahab (lower), do that then climb back up and ride Jackson down the other side of the ridge, that trail is super fun and not talked about much anymore.