Quantcast

Today I met Travis Pastrana

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
And what a nice guy. I went up the the Pikes peak hill climb and when you go there you are basically stuck in one area till all the races stop. I am standing there with the camera and a friend and who pops out of one of only 3 other vehicles there but Travis pastrana! We all get chatting and it turns out he launched his Rally car off corner of the course!

He had some friends there and it was cool that he came over on his own just to chat. We had all had a good conversation then when the race was over we headed down to check out the car.. DAMN. I was looking at it and thought, "wow, that is going to take a lot of work" they told me it would be done by his start time tomorrow morning!

He broke basically the right front part of the car, shattered a brake rotor (how you do that without loosing the wheel is beyond me) Destroyed most of the panels on that side of the car, wrecked most of the headlights and a few windows. I guess the co-driver said "2 left" but maybe it was a bit more like a 2.5 or 3 :p

Overall a very fun day!

I can't emphasize enough how nice he was! Very concerned about everything that was going on, his fans and everything. He was very gracious to go up to the ESPN guys to give an interview that basically said... "yup, I wrecked another one.." :D

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
derekpearson said:

I may have spelled his name wrong, but he is always on the top of the pack. He was one of the origninators of the backflip and the 360 thing on a moto. He has been racing cars more recently because, like he said, he has had so many knee surgeries that he is "thinking about having zippers installed"

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
He won the first X-Games Freestyle MotoX event in '99 when he was 15. I think he raced Sea Otter in Junior X DH and won it too that year. He also won a couple Junior X Dual Slalom NCS's in '98.

andym

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
va
BigMike said:
As of a few months ago, he has never lost an MX race that he has entered :eek:
I don't know where you heard that but its not true. He is a very accomplished racer but he has lost plenty of times.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
hahha i find this funny. i grew up with travis, i actually live 2 miles from his semi- new house. I also grew up with Jim DeChamp that you're talking about. It's weird that you guys think they are all big shots.. i grew up with them ya know.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
steve45 said:
its great to hear theres still a few good guys left in the world today.

just out of intrest what car was he driving?
That is actually a funny story. He knew he was driving a Subaru. So I say, "Oh, you have an STI?" and he says that he doesn't, but can't remember the model...One of the team crew looked at him funny and said, "you are driving an STI :rolleyes:"
Later we are looking at the car and it had kevlar skid plates on the entire bottom of the car I asked him if that is what they were or if i was wrong. He looked at me with the funniest face that implied "I have no Idea" I just looked at him, laughed and said, "well I guess I am asking the guy that doesnt know what kind of car he drives" :p

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
the wop said:
hey motion boy , did you watch the freestyle mx on tejon yesterday.

I missed that, by the time I got off the mountain I had been up for 8 hours and it was only 9:45am, I was exhausted and just went home and slept for a while. I wish I knew I would have made an effort to go.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Looks like there was a lot of weather problems at the event. However Pastrana came in 9th from what I could see. Pretty good considering it has to rattle you when you ditch a car off a small cliff at the bottom of the course!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
god bless pastrami.... I'm hoping he'll bring some new light to rallying, if anybody can, he will. I heard he's reasonably fast, too. Not blinding, but quick. Too bad he knows jack about his car, I wonder what that means...

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I think it just means that he is a new addition to the team. From what I have seen he has been racing all kinds of different stuff. Porche cup, Rally as well as other kinds of racing, I dont think he has enough time to care, he just knows he is going to go fast!

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
I up there too, Me and my buddies saw his car sitting in a hotel parking lot in Colorado springs, so we walk over there and start talking to the mechanic, about rally and all that. We got to sit in the car, which was cool. Apparently one can rent a rally car and crew for $20,000 a race, which is was Travis Pastrana was doing. That explains why he didn’t know much about his car. I saw his car in the ditch where he crashed it, but didn’t get a good look at it.
Motionboy2 I don’t know how much you know about rally but I think you have some misinformation, if the co-driver said left 2 and Pastrana was going too fast then the co-driver should have said left 1 not left 3. The number included in the pace notes dictates what gear the driver should be in for the turn. It was a pretty long turn but clearly he messed up because it wasn’t that sharp. I would say the co-driver was correct with call that turn a left 2.
I saw Jesse James, driving his car. I didn’t look all that cool as you can tell from the pictures. I’ll watch the episode though; I’m interested to see what they did to it.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
fireman said:
Motionboy2 I don’t know how much you know about rally but I think you have some misinformation, if the co-driver said left 2 and Pastrana was going too fast then the co-driver should have said left 1 not left 3. The number included in the pace notes dictates what gear the driver should be in for the turn. It was a pretty long turn but clearly he messed up because it wasn’t that sharp. I would say the co-driver was correct with call that turn a left 2.
I saw Jesse James, driving his car. I didn’t look all that cool as you can tell from the pictures. I’ll watch the episode though; I’m interested to see what they did to it.
You are right, I had it backwards. My experience with rally is limited to watching it on TV. I have the greatest respect for the drivers and co-drivers but I haven't gotten into the in's and outs of it all.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I thought the number referred to the degree of the turn, not the gear. In other words, five would be 90 degrees, and one would be a very slight dogleg. Am I mixed up?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
BigMike said:
As of a few months ago, he has never lost an MX race that he has entered :eek:
Uh...yeah, thats completely false. He's a good rider, but he's never won a single race since moving to 250s and racing pro MX and SX.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Sandwich said:
I thought the number referred to the degree of the turn, not the gear. In other words, five would be 90 degrees, and one would be a very slight dogleg. Am I mixed up?
Honestly, I have no idea. I wish i knew more about the sport, but it is hard to get into when there are only 2 events within 7 hours from here a year.

I posted one picture on another site and recieved an email moments later to submit my pix to RacerX magazine... so now I have some pix in RacerX magazine! Here are 2 that won't make it but you guys can take a look.