Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got a build sheet at long last! Progress.

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 10.39.20 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 10.40.35 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 10.42.00 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 10.42.22 PM.png

Highlights:

- 3rd row
- panoramic roof
- heated washer system, ooh, and heated steering wheel
- adjustable dampers, which I wasn't sure was a US market option at all when ordering
- Burmester stereo
- power and memory for both front seats (which wasn't a given due to the whole chip shortage deal: see these 2022s!)

Can't tell if heated +/- ventilated seats are in there. Presumably so given the wheel and the washer system, part of U59 perhaps?

Also appears that it doesn't have the adaptive cruise package, the Driver Assistance Package Lite! I would have ordered that for sure… I asked my sales guy for clarification on this, not that I can do anything at this point, I think.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Also appears that it doesn't have the adaptive cruise package, the Driver Assistance Package Lite! I would have ordered that for sure… I asked my sales guy for clarification on this, not that I can do anything at this point, I think.
Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 7.01.38 AM.png

I'm glad I took photos of the ordering screen back in June 2022 when we did this! Not having that package would be a deal killer… (this has the adaptive cruise among other things)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
View attachment 189497

I'm glad I took photos of the ordering screen back in June 2022 when we did this! Not having that package would be a deal killer… (this has the adaptive cruise among other things)
I found someone else's build sheet, and now it looks like not only Driver Assistance Package Lite is missing but also heated front seats! (I'd ordered heated/ventilated, and absence of at least heat is also a dealbreaker). Gah. How did they mess this up?

Their build sheet, not mine. Notice DAP Lite and Heated front seats listed explicitly under Options.

Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 8.25.58 AM.png

Photo of the ordering screen in June 2022—not my error!

Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 8.27.01 AM.png

Trying to get a resolution:

Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 8.28.49 AM.png

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I found someone else's build sheet, and now it looks like not only Driver Assistance Package Lite is missing but also heated front seats! (I'd ordered heated/ventilated, and absence of at least heat is also a dealbreaker). Gah. How did they mess this up?
Fixed. New build sheet for the updated, now correct order.

fixed.PNG

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pulled the trigger on this same basic plan as above today since some things were on sale:

- two sets of Klipsch bookshelf speakers to use as elevation channels here in Denver
- cheap wall mount brackets for them, as they should be 8’ up or so and angled down towards the couch from the four corners of the virtual soundstage
- Denon 4700 9.2 receiver to have enough channels to drive this resulting 5.1.4 Atmos setup
- two LG S90QY 5.1.3 Atmos soundbars that’ll ultimately go with TVs in the mountain house main floor and master bedroom

To be purchased later (Black Friday? don’t need until renovations done and I don’t even have the final plans for them):

- hack up a hide-away-TV-in-cabinet setup
- LG C2s variously: 83” for Denver, 77” for mountain house main floor, 55” to hide in the cabinet in mountain house at foot of bed in master suite
- IKEA basic media console furniture: wide, low cabinet and use the feet on the TV. Ain’t nobody got time for wall mounting nonsense. Well except for the hideaway setup. I’ll make time for that goofy idea.

The current non-HDR 80” Vizio in our basement will go to the mountain house basement. As we won’t ever use it instead of the main floor setup my wife thinks we should just leave it naked and force people to use only its built in speakers. She’s probably right.
Receiver is coming Monday. Soundbars arrived in garage yesterday? and are against the wall, to be carted up to the mountains at some time and hidden away in the giant storage area/torture rooms complex for now (the one with the janky sauna and shower but no toilet, and painted concrete walls).

Bookshelf speakers came, and I had to swap out speaker mounts for beefier ones that allowed for more angle. Now I have all four elevation speakers mounted.

:)

fronts:

rears:

Note very asymmetric room design so I didn't fret about asymmetric mounting so much. well, at all.

detail, pre speaker cable, clearly. wood screws into the case to secure it to the mount, and didn't put them directly over peoples' heads:

made some long-ass cable runs for them:

Baby Aya enjoyed the packing materials:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Reminder to myself: really have to bleed the brakes on the commuter bike. Bleed kit coming Monday as I think my existing syringe fittings are for Shimano (if they're indeed different)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
More evidence that the Intuition liners were inappropriately too tight: all purple/bruised/bloody under the nail of my 2nd (longest given foot shape) toe on right foot.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I rented a high roof cargo van!

March 2-3, to transport a TV and two large soundbar boxes up on the 3rd, when I’m scheduled to meet the structural engineer at the house re deck reinforcement for the monstrous hot tub.

(ordered a factory refurb 83’ LG C2 so the old Vizio can be punted to the mountain house. I should order up a media console for it to sit on from IKEA and set it up with a soundbar in the basement hmm)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That is a fair point and a reason why two compartment monstrosities even bigger yet exist, for two temps.

But it’ll have a cloud control app for Wi-Fi control of the heater (also important so that it sticks to 7 cent/kWh off peak rather than 22 cent/kWh peak rate electricity as much as possible). Per the manual it’ll take 6-12 hours to raise the water temp from the minimum 80F to more normal hot tub temps. I can set it to only heat above 80 on the weekends and perhaps some intermediate 90s temp is tolerable for all activities?

It requires a 240V 50A circuit so the heater is probably a 6 kW unit or so to allow for some power for the pumps and (negligible for the) controls.

edit: from perusing replacement part listings looks like they use 5.5 and 4.0 kW heaters variously. So I was about right.
TIL that the same company I'm checking out to add a heat pump water heater to the mountain house* also has heat pump water heater applications intended for heating of hot tubs! Sounds like COP > 1 down to -5 Freedoms, then backup resistive.

Not entirely sure how this would integrate into a system in which hot tubs/swim spa monstrosities already have their own integrated circuitry controlling their own (resistive) heater. Perhaps they make a loop of water flow that comes out of the hot tub and then back into it, and then the hot tub controls only perceive that the water is magically already near desired temperature?

I like the concept in theory, especially if it could be integrated into the install for the house side of things. Reaching out for more info.

* the asterisk is because it'd be a hybrid system. likely a new, smaller than current, high efficiency NG boiler with a tank sitting there as backup, and for providing domestic hot water additionally. heat pump with its own secondary tank? sitting besides it to provide hopefully the majority of heating needs for the hydronic radiant heat system. right now there's just one 2001-era NG boiler doing all the work.

@Westy would appreciate that their engineer is having me back of napkin heating needs for the house by checking how many therms of NG I use over a given overnight period, and correlating that with the overnight temperature.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pro tip: when ordering a shorter replacement dropper for the wife's bike, ordering the correct size is recommended

30.9 != 31.6

whoops

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pro tip: when ordering a shorter replacement dropper for the wife's bike, ordering the correct size is recommended

30.9 != 31.6

whoops
to my credit, the bikesdirect site is a mess, and does read 30.9 if my eyes do not deceive me:

yet the OEM KS eTeni post is a 31.6.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
long boi is a long boi

vw-id.-buzz-lwb-new-spy-photo.jpg

vw-id.-buzz-lwb-new-spy-photo (1).jpg

The distance from driver's head to windshield makes me a bit leery.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
32F6EA20-7E03-41EA-A8E1-E289DFFD7B8A.jpeg

61A3D811-6C2A-41F2-B627-0B9D86E8E53D.jpeg

22F56A03-5920-48F9-93B3-3309C0C9DC69.jpeg

test rode a trike for a contest entry and parked on some snow in CV-friendly fashion

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is that thing all wheel drive?
In the sense that the electric bit is up front and the chain is connected to that rear axle, yes

Got it up on two wheels but was difficult to do so. Wide stance like Idaho congressmen

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oh so the front hub is assisted but you pedal the rear under your own power?
yup. cadence sensor and 5 levels of assist. rolls on pretty smoothly so feels good for a cadence sensing machine. short gearing means you're never going fast anyway, and the assist caps at 14 mph in case you're bold or spinning super fast.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@stoney what can you tell me about your allroad’s roof box? How did you pick it? Regrets? I think I’ll be needing one.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@stoney what can you tell me about your allroad’s roof box? How did you pick it? Regrets? I think I’ll be needing one.
Yakima skybox, 2nd largest. Length is determined by top of car. It is a bit taller, but I use it for storing stuff during trips too. I hade a Thule for a bit but the support boom snapped on me. I've preferred the opening/locking mechanism far more with the Yakima. I would prefer one not as tall, from an aero perspective, but that's it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yakima skybox, 2nd largest. Length is determined by top of car. It is a bit taller, but I use it for storing stuff during trips too. I hade a Thule for a bit but the support boom snapped on me. I've preferred the opening/locking mechanism far more with the Yakima. I would prefer one not as tall, from an aero perspective, but that's it.
so like this one is yours?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
so like this one is yours?

Looks like it. It's the veerrrryyyy limit of length, since it was from the Forester. So make sure you get something for the smallest car.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Looks like it. It's the veerrrryyyy limit of length, since it was from the Forester. So make sure you get something for the smallest car.
Smallest will definitely be the EQB, which is a GLB with batteries.

GLB can take the M-B "roof box 450", which is 220 cm or 86.6" long. That Yakima SkyBox 16 is 81" so +/- mount position specifics should be ok. I'd have to limit myself to not getting 186 cm+ skis, though... which probably is a good idea.

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I want to figure out who actually makes this "Mercedes-Benz Roof Box 450", though:

450.PNG

it's got to be Thule or Yakima.

Character lines coming to a point anteriorly without a central depression don't look like the Yakima RocketBox, Skybox Carbonite or NX alike, definitely not the GrandTour or CBX.

Also doesn't look like the Thule Motion XT, Vector, Force XT, Pulse, or Sidekick.

mysterious.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Midget-skis, those.

:homer:
If I go down the rabbit hole and get some K2 Dispatch 120s like I've been kinda threatening to do the question really would be between 178 or 186 cm. My Mindbenders are 179 and have a longer effective edge length for nominal length... but I hated my 190 cm Moments. But those also sucked for floppiness reasons

such issues

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
For *what*?!?
for soft snow days. they are light, wide, and have metal! they sound fun.

and for mounting up with Shifts should I ever find AT boots that can be beat into submission for my feet, to in all likelihood just skin up Cranmer to take a 26m radius big curvy turns run down on high lift line days, instead of going to Iron Horse as you recommend.

although in either of those scenarios I'd be leaving my wife behind, so probably should go to Iron Horse

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
for soft snow days. they are light, wide, and have metal! they sound fun.

and for mounting up with Shifts should I ever find AT boots that can be beat into submission for my feet, to in all likelihood just skin up Cranmer to take a 26m radius big curvy turns run down on high lift line days, instead of going to Iron Horse as you recommend.

although in either of those scenarios I'd be leaving my wife behind, so probably should go to Iron Horse
120's are only appropriate on 20"+ days. And you should really look into what skins that wide weigh before doing something dumb.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
120's are only appropriate on 20"+ days. And you should really look into what skins that wide weigh before doing something dumb.

ok, fine

maybe the so much less cool 110s. got to be wider than my 108 daily drivers, though!

Powder7 has ex-lightly used demo AT setup 110s in 184 and 177... (2 cm shorter, 186 vs 184 is correct)

but first need boots as that's a showstopper. and should try out from Nick's ski library.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You should probably get skinnier skis as your daily drivers.

I've been mulling this over recently, as I think I'm at the age that I should have a quiver of skis. Something in the 96 range as a daily, along with a 115+ for... my dream days. :D

I'll probably just continue to ski my 106's, though, and the rest shall remain a dream.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You should probably get skinnier skis as your daily drivers.

I've been mulling this over recently, as I think I'm at the age that I should have a quiver of skis. Something in the 96 range as a daily, along with a 115+ for... my dream days. :D

I'll probably just continue to ski my 106's, though, and the rest shall remain a dream.
But I like my 108s everywhere. Everywhere but ice. But I do not like ice on any ski so that's fine.