Quantcast

Trail bike tires.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What’s good? I have a 29er that can fit 2.4s and likely no more. I’ve been running a butcher 2.3 front and ardent 2.4 rear, but the ardent sucks and the butcher is getting old.
I know minion dhfs have been the go to, but I’m not sure I need traction Over all…I’m willing to go for something that rolls better if there is an option out there. If not, minions it is.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Can't even remember what I used to run in the NE, but DHF/Aggressor is a good combo out here in CO.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
rekon rear and dhf or aggressor up front? or maybe some combo with a forekaster?

i dunno...i run dhf or dhr rear and dhf or assegai up front in my do it all bike and just take the rolling/weight penalty locally.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I try not to overthink it and just run good ol' Maxxis DHF 2.5 / DHR 2.4 EXO+ Maxxgrips on 30mm trail wheels. They go okay.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Vittoria syerra are pretty okay.
Any details? Those are interesting. Even as a Mazza/syerra combo. I've been running butcher/ardent and I think something similar is a good choice, though I wouldn't mind something with better traction than the ardent. It sounds like the aggressor/rekon fit the bill so I wonder if the same is true for syerra.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Any details? Those are interesting. Even as a Mazza/syerra combo. I've been running butcher/ardent and I think something similar is a good choice, though I wouldn't mind something with better traction than the ardent. It sounds like the aggressor/rekon fit the bill so I wonder if the same is true for syerra.
Mid 800 gram weight, I have them on my sqweeb good traction for where I ride, rolls fast.

Running Mazza now, basically a minion knock off, a lot more work, which, my lazy ass needs.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Aggressor is only good as a rear tyre and recommended as such by Maxxis for dry rocky trails. It only comes in dual compound.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've got some delium tires on my DH bike that I quite like. i wouldn't hesitate to give their trail tires a shot. will probably be going that route myself when i ultimately build up a new trail bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Aggressor is only good as a rear tyre and recommended as such by Maxxis for dry rocky trails. It only comes in dual compound.
am thinking DHF/Aggressor, Mazza/Syerra, or DHF/DHF...depends what I can get and whether I want to risk low rolling resistance on the front as well (probably not)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Mid 800 gram weight, I have them on my sqweeb good traction for where I ride, rolls fast.

Running Mazza now, basically a minion knock off, a lot more work, which, my lazy ass needs.
Those Mazzas worked well here until the rain started, then not so much. I assume they offer a softer compound than OEM spec.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Any experience on the martello? looks like the in-between for something like the syerena and the mazza, which might be just right. Pinkbike seemed to like them, and vital the Mazza. I don't want another ardent, thus my hesitation with the syerra

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I did not like the Aggressor as a rear tire at least for PA trails on my 27.5 bike. The compound is too hard and I had it loose grip twice on smooth hardpack bermed turns that have never been a problem for any other tire I've used. It was one of the few rear tires I have used that I threw away before it was even half worn. It does last a long time because of the compound.

I'm still running the Bontrager XR4 Team Issue tires my Top Fuel came with and have no complaints, they work well in just about everything so far.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Front MaxxGrip / Rear MaxxTerra
EXO+ unless noted.

DHR2 / Dissector
Assegai / Dissector
Assegai / DHR2(DD)
DHR2 / DHR2(DD)

Dissector for local stuff and DHR2 DoubleDown for roadtrips to places with higher speeds, braking demands and actual rock.

Assegai being more pointy helps in the spring and fall to deal with leaves and pine straw, DHR2 for clear summer. Local trails don't turn to concrete so I can get away with a Dissector in back all season. And I still have side knobs. :panic:

<edit> I tried a Rekon in back with a DHR2 up front. Did not like. Too much of a traction mismatch. Rekon is fast, but not much grip when you are used to "real" tires under you, especially cornering.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Assegai/Aggressor here, because traction.

I find the Assegai more predictable at lesser lean angles than the Minion DHF on the bullshit “soil” we have in the high desert of Colorado, which is kinda like shitty concrete covered in finely crushed, sandy pea gravel. And Aggressor is less awkwardly drifty than the DHF2 in my experience, but still rolls reasonably well and has decent braking.

Gave up... some don't even try.
Geax Goma has entered the chat.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
To be fair... I haven't ridden anything other than Maxxis in quite a long time. I have ridden some Schwalbe, Michelin, Kenda, Specialized, and a few other options in the past but have just always come back to Maxxis... and generally the Minion DHF until discovering the Assegai more recently. And I'm just never looking for a "fast rolling" tire because A. we have shit dirt and B. I like traction. I do have a friend that just put a pair of Kryptotals on his GG Gnarvana, and he really liked them when we were out in Pisgah. I'll have to circle back with him to see how he likes them in Colorado.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Maxxgrip Assegai on the front, if for no other reason than the growling noises it makes when at speed. It sings the song of my people. I am more concerned about rolling resistance and durability for a rear tire. Although without sharp rocks here, durability just has to be better than an EXO casing. Bontrager SE4 fits the bill nicely.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
"We dont know what we're doing. Just put a bunch of lumps on it and make it really soft"
Works for me. Pretty much any tread pattern that doesn't just fold over works well with the dirt here. Need that softness when everything else is a slimy rock/root.