Quantcast

Trail bike tires.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I keep seeing positive reviews for them....

that design has been around a while, I remember seeing it a long time ago when they came out with it. Truth be told it looks like it has the potential to be a cornering beast. If, IF those knobs are close enough to the centerline, it might not be as bad as I'm thinking. I'd have to see it on a wheel though. Sideknobs that serve as the centermost braking knobs are backwards for better braking so it still looks like another design where they're throwing shit at a wall without really knowing what they're doing. It wouldn't take more than one change to make it probably work really well.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Okay, since I'm asking about weird shit, thoughts on this, primarily as a rear tire?:

Some good photos here:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Okay, since I'm asking about weird shit, thoughts on this, primarily as a rear tire?:

Some good photos here:

Just grab some Butcher T9s on sale and cut the crap!

EDIT: Or if you want to try obscure Spanish tires, go with MSC. They have unused Maxxis tread patterns and good compounds (Miguel Pina, the brand owner, used to be the Spanish Maxxis distributor). And they are usually under $30.

EDIT²: just be wary of some MSC tires/DT Swiss rim combos. I've heard horror stories about having to cut the tires to get them off the rims.

Last edited:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Sandwich, we like you and don't want you to auger your face into the trail. Please ride proven Maxxis tread patterns and compounds, and leave the questionable rubber to paid riders and their Sharpies

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I run a linkage fork from a dead company FFS

I honestly kind of want to try the Tioga as a front tire, just need a back tire to try out. Or I'll get distracted by something shiny and forget the whole plan

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sandwich, we like you and don't want you to auger your face into the trail. Please ride proven Maxxis tread patterns and compounds, and leave the questionable rubber to paid riders and their Sharpies
you can't go wrong with maxxis (typically), but there's enough other comparable options nowadays that the old "maxxis or death" mantra doesn't really hold weight anymore. the challenge is sorting the wheat from the chaff. hell, even i've moved away from maxxis.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
new always trumps proven and effective

the entire industry depends upon it

those wolfpack tires looks stupid and dangerous on wet leaves

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I run a linkage fork from a dead company FFS

I honestly kind of want to try the Tioga as a front tire, just need a back tire to try out. Or I'll get distracted by something shiny and forget the whole plan
I know sales are going to be good this year, but I couldn't say no to 29x2.5" DHF EXO+ for $35 each. Although I'm not sure if they're Maxxgrip or Maxterra, either will work.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
okay I'll bite- what looks stupid on them, and why do they look dangerous? I legitimately would like to know..."reading" tires is an art that I'd love to understand.
the center knobs look too wide, flat and short to penetrate anything, the dumbass intermediate knobs are in the way of the sideknobs which are way too sparse and far apart

basically the food is horrible and the portions are small

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you can't go wrong with maxxis (typically), but there's enough other comparable options nowadays that the old "maxxis or death" mantra doesn't really hold weight anymore. the challenge is sorting the wheat from the chaff. hell, even i've moved away from maxxis.
honestly the deliums are pretty cool looking, I could do a dhf copy front and their one-step-down trail on the rear. I'm just not sure i need the bonus flat protection up front and they don't offer the dhf copy in regular flavor

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
honestly the deliums are pretty cool looking, I could do a dhf copy front and their one-step-down trail on the rear. I'm just not sure i need the bonus flat protection up front and they don't offer the dhf copy in regular flavor
i've been running the DHF clone and assguy clone on my DH bike for 2 seasons now and have been impressed. clicking around their website the "light" casing only seems to save 40-50g on the models its offered on.

also, the claimed weight of the DHF clone in all around casing is about 160g lighter than the comparably sized exo+ dhf. again, claimed weights.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Bontrager SE4 fits the bill nicely.
pretty happy with this tire?

Nice deals. This too:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had the G5s on my DH bike. They were reliable and set up tubeless well, back when tubeless was so much less reliable. I really want an excuse to move away from a DHF or copy for a front tire, but the DHF/dissector or SE5/4 combo sounds just right.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I had the G5s on my DH bike. They were reliable and set up tubeless well, back when tubeless was so much less reliable. I really want an excuse to move away from a DHF or copy for a front tire, but the DHF/dissector or SE5/4 combo sounds just right.
just get two SE5s or two DHR2s

I don't know why people 'want to get away from' good tire designs but I guess that's how WTB still sells tires. DHFs are great but they're also not the only great tire.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
just get two SE5s or two DHR2s

I don't know why people 'want to get away from' good tire designs but I guess that's how WTB still sells tires. DHFs are great but they're also not the only great tire.
A) I can't fit a 2.6 on the rear of my bike. I'm not even sure I want a 2.6 up front. That's the only size on sale right now.

B) I want something that rolls faster and breaks traction sooner than my front tire. I was originally running butcher/slaughter but the slaughter died fast. I still have the butcher up front and it's OK, but I want a tougher casing and the ardent in the rear simply doesn't brake or turn well enough.

I'm not after an enduro setup, but rather a fast rolling lightweight setup that can still corner. I don't run inserts and the EXO casing had held up for years for me, so I don't feel the need to add more weight.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A) I can't fit a 2.6 on the rear of my bike. I'm not even sure I want a 2.6 up front. That's the only size on sale right now.

B) I want something that rolls faster and breaks traction sooner than my front tire. I was originally running butcher/slaughter but the slaughter died fast. I still have the butcher up front and it's OK, but I want a tougher casing and the ardent in the rear simply doesn't brake or turn well enough.

I'm not after an enduro setup, but rather a fast rolling lightweight setup that can still corner. I don't run inserts and the EXO casing had held up for years for me, so I don't feel the need to add more weight.
The SE4s are available in 2.4s and are going to roll better and have less traction but with a similar tread pattern. If you are going in that direction the XR tires are basically the same with a slightly lighter casing if that isn't a concern for you.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The SE4s are available in 2.4s and are going to roll better and have less traction but with a similar tread pattern. If you are going in that direction the XR tires are basically the same with a slightly lighter casing if that isn't a concern for you.
other than some dirtjump tires, I never bought any non-dh casing bontragers. Those things hold up okay?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
other than some dirtjump tires, I never bought any non-dh casing bontragers. Those things hold up okay?
I had an XR4 outlive a rim on my hardtail. Only a single data point but I was impressed. However I have only ran the SEs since then as I have no desire to play with fire and there seem to be few downsides. But if the difference was $40 I would try again. Also the rock around here on pedal trails have been imported from Canada and carefully ground smooth. DH casings for the higher elevations with pointy domestic rocks.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Those SE5s are just the copy of the dh tire they made....which were one of the best tread designs ever. If their rubber and casing are worth a damn, those are worth grabbing.
They'd be really good if they used the same rubber as the DH ones. They don't, though.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Depending on what size you need, planet cyclery has DHF, DHRII and Assguy tires on sale for pretty good discounts. Various compounds and casings.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had an XR4 outlive a rim on my hardtail. Only a single data point but I was impressed. However I have only ran the SEs since then as I have no desire to play with fire and there seem to be few downsides. But if the difference was $40 I would try again. Also the rock around here on pedal trails have been imported from Canada and carefully ground smooth. DH casings for the higher elevations with pointy domestic rocks.
So the difference is about $40 in favor of the SE variety "5" tire. The weight difference seems to be small, or at least the difference between the SE tire and a Maxxis 2.5 WT DHF 3c exo is 20 grams in favor of the SE5, so that's pretty neat. That would be my alternate choice. I would be willing to go XR front and SE rear, but I'd be happy to pony up for the added protection with no weight penalty.

They'd be really good if they used the same rubber as the DH ones. They don't, though.
I don’t even think about the compound when I’m riding a steep fall line or otherwise brake-heavy terrain, but when I’m on wide open, mellower pitches, I wasn’t too keen on keeping the G5 on the rear wheel. It would be a different scenario if Bontrager made a hard compound version.
Kevin's review made it sound like he wouldn't mind a harder compound version.

Depending on what size you need, planet cyclery has DHF, DHRII and Assguy tires on sale for pretty good discounts. Various compounds and casings.
Yep, I am looking at the SE5/4 combo for $85 through bonty or the DHF/Dissector combo for $75 through planet. I've liked my exos but would be happy to try something different.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
I just started running a set of XR4's front and rear as a "lighter" trail tire. Just a single ride with them on the hardtail so no real feel back yet other than they roll fast on buff trails. The TM Grip rubber is 50a over the whole tread with 70a under, old ones had 61a center with 50a side knobs, changed happened in 2021 at some point.

Info on the casing and rubber for the SE tires in here. Bontrager needs to do a better job on their website detailing the rubber and casings.

Will see how the XR's do as light trail tire over the winter and probably add some SE's for the bigger 170/160 bike in spring.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have an XR4. I tried to run it in the front, but I crashed pretty quickly and it was sketch as hell. 2.4x29. I moved it to the back and put the gold standard DHF up front and it was much better. The XR4 doesn't impress me much, but it's "ok". Just not as grippy as I'd like.

I run an XR2 on the front of one bike, trying to replicate the Icon 2.35 I used to run on the same. On hardpack/not loose the icons were fun as heck on the XC bike and they measured out close to 2.5. The XR2 2.6 is just too big though, tips the balance in being way too slow and without more aggressive knobs, just lackluster.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
XR/SE4 fan, been fine with them both front and rear unlike Westy and JM...I feel like I've been able to corner pretty aggressively on them, myself. Probably has a lot to do with local soil. The SE5/6 look like interesting options.

Roll significantly faster than anything else I've tried but retain a hell of a lot of performance despite it.

I still run heavier casings and stickier/more aggressive rubber on my bigger bikes, but for logging miles and climbs it's the XR4 for me

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
DHFs are great but they're also not the only great tire.
Does anyone else still like the DHF over the assguy? I have one of those up front right now and think I miss the DHF...I kinda liked the dead zone...it reminded me to lean it harder...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Does anyone else still like the DHF over the assguy? I have one of those up front right now and think I miss the DHF...I kinda liked the dead zone...it reminded me to lean it harder...
:stupid: the assguy's tread pattern is too Schwalby to me. The "throw as many knobs as possible, in as many orientations as possible" design approach is not my cup of tea

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't know if it feels slow or it just looks slow, but I always think the assguy is making me slower when I put it on. It's not a bad tire though. I think DHF just hits the sweet spot a little more in more terrain, but there are places that I wanted the assguy over it, like PNW. When it starts to get a little wet the DHF gets out of it's element.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DHF for the summer, Assegai for our wet but not really muddy winters.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That 'dead zone' is not a dead zone the way most people refer to it. It's those poorly designed sipes on every other center knob peeling off. Butchers, dhr2s, those bontragers etc don't do that.

If you think having an open channel between sideknobs and centers makes a zone with no traction look at the tire leaned right there on the ground. Both rows still have purchase and by the time you really are on the sideknobs exclusively, you're way past what most people think they're talking about. Also 'transition knobs' make some of the worst tractionless tires ever made.

Those ass guys are a joke. They function initiating a turn just because the knobs are tall and the rubber flexes but holding a turn and god forbid trying to actually keep control drifting ain't really a thing. That flex is also why JM talks about them rolling slow, because they do. Like slim said, it's chucking a bunch of tall knobs made of a softer rubber at a wall. That's always going to work a little but it doesn't make consistent handling, especially on the dry harder shit you'll be riding in california.