Quantcast

Trail bike tires.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Honestly, and I know I'm a fucking weirdo, I loved the secondhand free Wild Enduros I was running till the rubber cracked more than any Maxxis.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So the difference is about $40 in favor of the SE variety "5" tire. The weight difference seems to be small, or at least the difference between the SE tire and a Maxxis 2.5 WT DHF 3c exo is 20 grams in favor of the SE5, so that's pretty neat. That would be my alternate choice. I would be willing to go XR front and SE rear, but I'd be happy to pony up for the added protection with no weight penalty.

Kevin's review made it sound like he wouldn't mind a harder compound version.

Yep, I am looking at the SE5/4 combo for $85 through bonty or the DHF/Dissector combo for $75 through planet. I've liked my exos but would be happy to try something different.
If you've been good with Exo casing Maxxis tires, why change it and add more weight?

If you're not getting flats and ride somewhere with round rocks, keep running them.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
If you think having an open channel between sideknobs and centers makes a zone with no traction look at the tire leaned right there on the ground. Both rows still have purchase and by the time you really are on the sideknobs exclusively, you're way past what most people think they're talking about. Also 'transition knobs' make some of the worst tractionless tires ever made.
I rode on quite a few shitty xc tires that the MTB press praised for their great transition knobs. They all sucked.
Sometimes it is easier to see grip being generated by the space between knobs, not the knobs themselves.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I rode on quite a few shitty xc tires that the MTB press praised for their great transition knobs. They all sucked.
Sometimes it is easier to see grip being generated by the space between knobs, not the knobs themselves.
i ardently agree with you.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sideknobs are pointless if you just put things in their way. DHFs, especially soft rubber ones really do slide a little moving into a lean on hardpack, but it's that stupid sipe smearing, not the space between the sides and centers. People started saying that so other people started saying that etc etc.

There's a reason good tires are all kind of converging into the same basic design layout.....one with channels that let the sideknobs actually get to some dirt

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you've been good with Exo casing Maxxis tires, why change it and add more weight?

If you're not getting flats and ride somewhere with round rocks, keep running them.
I think I will. The bontragers are the same weight for a "more reinforced" casing. I'm not sure what that means, if the exo casing is tougher than the XR casing, or if the bonty isn't actually more durable, but a 2.5" wt DHF exo 3c is almost exactly the same weight as the SE5 2.6", which has the "enduro" casing or bead reinforcement. I'd gladly opt for more protection for the same weight. Maybe it's the tire compound?

It's looking like DHF/Dissector in 3C flavor as those are the right combination of compound, casing, tread, and size. I'll be honest that I would love to do something different partially just because, but as I mentioned I've had no issues with EXO tires for my riding and I can't forget when I first rode Minions in 3C flavor on my DH bike back in the day. It was a revelation coming from Nokians, Arrows, Tiogas, and other shitty tires. My biggest issue is sacrificing rolling resistance for traction- I know a lot of you guys ride hard and need supportive tires, but I'm not sure I do- our trails are generally super rocky, our turns are flat and slow or 180* bermed switchbacks, and loam doesn't really happen- it's all hardpack or loose over hard. I like to find a better balance between weight and support, traction and resistance, etc....that being said, it's all coming back to maxxis.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
BTW- I do the same thing with my road tires. I really wanted to do weird euro Challenge tires last time around, but ended up with GP5000s in 28c just like everyone else.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I think I will. The bontragers are the same weight for a "more reinforced" casing. I'm not sure what that means, if the exo casing is tougher than the XR casing, or if the bonty isn't actually more durable, but a 2.5" wt DHF exo 3c is almost exactly the same weight as the SE5 2.6", which has the "enduro" casing or bead reinforcement. I'd gladly opt for more protection for the same weight. Maybe it's the tire compound?

It's looking like DHF/Dissector in 3C flavor as those are the right combination of compound, casing, tread, and size. I'll be honest that I would love to do something different partially just because, but as I mentioned I've had no issues with EXO tires for my riding and I can't forget when I first rode Minions in 3C flavor on my DH bike back in the day. It was a revelation coming from Nokians, Arrows, Tiogas, and other shitty tires. My biggest issue is sacrificing rolling resistance for traction- I know a lot of you guys ride hard and need supportive tires, but I'm not sure I do- our trails are generally super rocky, our turns are flat and slow or 180* bermed switchbacks, and loam doesn't really happen- it's all hardpack or loose over hard. I like to find a better balance between weight and support, traction and resistance, etc....that being said, it's all coming back to maxxis.
I ran a semi- slick rear tire for years for the reasons you cite and as a whole, it performed perfectly fine, so long as it was dry. Throw in a little moisture though...

In the end, I went back to knobbies. Tire weight and width contributed more to the perception of rolling resistance than knob design did.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't know why people 'want to get away from' good tire designs but I guess that's how WTB still sells tires.
welp, I listened to everybody's advice, thought carefully, shopped around, then promptly ignored all of it and bought some used WTB tires that were available locally. $25 got me a pair of very lightly used vigilante/trail boss tires, which are now mounted and weigh far more than my ardent/butcher combo. They should be good for dinkin' around in the woods, and by the time summer rolls around (and I have a job again) I will feel more comfortable buying something else, should I need it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yup. Just put my last new one on about 2 weeks ago. Thinking about just quitting mt biking after I wear the last one out.

:homer:
I quit right before throwing on that last one. I couldn't bear the sport without them. The one on the left still has tire mold whiskers.

When you finally kill that last one let me know. You could probably talk me out of them if I don't decide to try this biking in mountains thing again.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I quit right before throwing on that last one. I couldn't bear the sport without them. The one on the left still has tire mold whiskers.

When you finally kill that last one let me know. You could probably talk me out of them if I don't decide to try this biking in mountains thing again.
Will do. Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you don't take up mt biking again. :p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
would you expect anything less?

I don't think these tires are gonna work for me though. They are heavy AF and the hard compound/2ply rear is a pig. Spun out constantly and the bike is like 2lb heavier. wack
No, and don't change. Just because someone else learned something doesn't mean you have to.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
would you expect anything less?

I don't think these tires are gonna work for me though. They are heavy AF and the hard compound/2ply rear is a pig. Spun out constantly and the bike is like 2lb heavier. wack
obviously the problem is that they don't have a weird enough colorway. maybe you have some turquoise or fluorescent orange spray paint lying around you could put to good use?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
obviously the problem is that they don't have a weird enough colorway. maybe you have some turquoise or fluorescent orange spray paint lying around you could put to good use?
While I fully understand that the core problem here is sandwich, I think any double down or 2ply casing isn’t going to work for me. I was admittedly looking for more traction out of the rear, but were dealing with a ton of slippery leaves right now, so I’m not sure anything would bite.

I may spring for the maxxeees, or just deal with these for a bit. I do like the idea of confidently running low pressure though.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
In my garage. Because I foresaw the end times

You ride 27.5s?
:eek: When did you start riding the wrong wheel size?
That clearly sucked the joy out of your riding and pushed you to dirt bikes, which have smaller wheels. See....see....it all makes sense! :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I thought you 26'd your 27.5 frames?
Some of them I did.

But then people started making frames with reasonable BB heights.......and good 26" tires were getting harder to find.

Remember how when the industry was pushing one of the newer wheelsizes, every dumbass who didn't understand this was going to be mandatory said stupid shit like "just choose the wheelsize you like and run it?"

I actually did that, depending on the bike. Of course all those dumbasses are just on 29ers now......

I cut fork arches to get 27.5 wheels in 26" forks too, before fork makers realized huge fork offsets for larger wheels were an over compensation.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I insist you must guinea pig MSC tires for your fellow monkeys. You owe it to the community after requesting advice only to ignore it time after time.
nah, those are surprisingly hard to get in the US, and it's impossible to beat maxxis at 35-40$ whether OEM or not. I might try out the tioga edge because I'm mildly retarded, with a dissector or rekon or something in the rear.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
nah, those are surprisingly hard to get in the US, and it's impossible to beat maxxis at 35-40$ whether OEM or not. I might try out the tioga edge because I'm mildly retarded, with a dissector or rekon or something in the rear.
Here just buy these.

they won't kill you

probably

they're made for dirt

See?
wtbdirt.JPG

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Here just buy these.

they won't kill you

probably

they're made for dirt

See?
View attachment 203794
ew, who would voluntarily buy wtb tires?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ew, who would voluntarily buy wtb tires?
If I were buying tires and wanted to try something new I'd absolutely consider those. Other than the centerknob sipes that are angled dumb, that tire looks like it would work pretty damn well.

This is how I know people buy tires based on brands and not whether they know what makes a good tire design.

truly dumb is this
or this

But that first one looks pretty legit. And it's made for dirt. Allegedly.