Quantcast

Trail building pictures

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Is that the fecal aficionado?
No way! I do not trust the turdburgler out at the trails yet. If she doesn't feel like she got enough exercise she won't come back to the truck. Freakin puppies. Moses is a good boy, 11 years young. He doesn't really run anymore but he knows how to find a bone and relax. He gets to go everywhere.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Really nice dirt, looks like it is easy to work with.

Might I suggest a 45° backslope? It tends to fall down onto the trail when steeper and then when the other side erodes a bit, as it will, it can make it more of a rut than a trail.
The surface is capped with baseball sized basalt rock. Once through the rock it is a nice sandy loam. Can you see all the rock in the pic off to the right?

This is a rough in and I am establishing the trail bed. This bed is mostly about 28-30" wide. I want that outside edge to re-establish some grass roots. Once I get the bed roughed in and can look back down the inside line, alot of the time I come back and re-cut the backslope. I'm managing about 30ft of cut in an hour. I figure I have 12 more hours to finish establishing the bed for this trail. Want to come help?

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The surface is capped with baseball sized basalt rock. Once through the rock it is a nice sandy loam. Can you see all the rock in the pic off to the right?

This is a rough in and I am establishing the trail bed. This bed is mostly about 28-30" wide. I want that outside edge to re-establish some grass roots. Once I get the bed roughed in and can look back down the inside line, alot of the time I come back and re-cut the backslope. I'm managing about 30ft of cut in an hour. I figure I have 12 more hours to finish establishing the bed for this trail. Want to come help?
Yeah, the outside edge will re-establish roots for sure, that's what always happens around here.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
When I am bench cutting I try to sort of peel back the sod like a pita sandwich and the then pull a bunch of material into the fold. It doesnt always work out but I also take the sod clumps and pack them back into the outside edge.

Most of the trails in this system are 8-14" wide. They're all narrow and rocky. Even with the outisde edge collapsing 6-7" and the inside edge falling in 6-7", that still leaves a 14" trail.

The surface is a lot of rock and thats what mostly falls down into the trail. Its not as much dirt as you are expecting.