Quantcast

Vuelta Excalibur DH wheel

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
How are they? I had a Excalibur FR on my Stinky for a front wheel, I'm getting this DH for a rear wheel on my hardtail. I thought my FR was a great wheel. I had it for a year until I screwed up on my front yard jump really bad and tacoed it. So how are they, I'm gonna pay about 85 dollars for the wheel laced to an XT hub.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Is this a used wheel that you're looking at? I have no idea what bike parts go for in the US of A, so I cant even tell by the price whether its a new or used wheel :confused: :confused:

I had a pair a while back that came on a bike. They'er okay. From the numbers that I found, theyre heavier than a Mag30 and pinned. The profile is somewhere between a Mag30 and a 321. It seemed to me that they were pretty soft and prone to dings, dents and bending more than the 521 and Mag30s that I have now so I broke quite a few spokes during the time that I had them. The rear one came to an ugly death; So tacoed, it was, that I had to cut it out of my frame just to get it off of the bike. :mad: It happened on a sideways-ish landing on a fairly small stair gap. I weight about 210#s so I dished out a decent amount of abuse on them.

If I wanted to buy a bike and they were the rims, it wouldnt stop me. I wouldnt ever build a wheel up with one because there are better rims out there. I would definitely not buy one that is used, no matter what the price.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The only time I tried Vuelta rims, it was the Excaliburs and I trashed them badly in like 2 rides. Maybe that wasn't indicative of the quality of their wheels, but I've been using Mavic ever since then with much better results.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Vuelta sucks all around. I've heard of horrible things happening to the DH ones (Major taconess). I've got their XC wheelset with the bizarre 24 spoke lacing pattern...It sucks and is getting replaced within a month.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I think I'll just go for a brand new Singletrack then, I have a pair on my Stinky and I have never had any problems with them. To get new ones it only costs 65 dollars to get the old stuff taken off and the new one laced on with new spokes. Its a much better deal I think. I kinda wanted one that had anti snake bite though, but oh well.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Echo said:
Dude. I GUARANTEE you that a Vuelta Excalibur rim will pinch flat just like any other rim on the planet...
yup..the only times that ive ever pinch flatted on my dh bike was with those rims...that there anti-snake bite thing is a massive load of crap.

I had a wheelset (Raleigh OEM) with Vuelta Excalibur rims, bent four rims over time (four or five years), the rear freehub finally croaked at about the time the rim was again too tired, replaced it with Mavic / XT. Decided I want welded rather than pinned rims from now on. I still have a front wheel I'll ride until it dies. For reference, I'm in the 165# range and don't do a lot of jumping...

J