Quantcast

/\~/\Wednesday Wetness Wake Up/\~/\

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

No motor oil facials this morning, so things are looking up. In fact, as of today, my truck is now paid off. Wonder how long the bliss of no car payment will last before the first major repair pops up.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
mmn espresso is strong this morning and I do need it. It shall be another day in the mid 80s and judging by how fast the grasses on the hills are turning brown, fire season is upon us.

right quad feels better but the swelling on the hip is still large but much less painful

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Work fuckery escalated to 10/FTS yesterday. Apparently it has been decreed that almost all shifts on the floor will now be 8 on, 6 off, along with a bunch of other not insignificant schedule changes. I have enough seniority to escape most of these changes but it damn near caused a riot during day shift yesterday, and word is that the much larger group of mechanics on nights took it even less well. So, today should be interesting. I'm guessing a whole hangar full of broken airplanes and gate delays lay ahead.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've had crazy allergies since this weekend. It first felt like cold but petty sure it's allergies. Take my antihistamine every day but not enough I guess when spring hits the hardest.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. Enteritis finally resolving after a mildly nauseous day. Thankfully slept well last night. I needed that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

At work.

Should be a straight forward day and then its bike night. One of our buddies is making his great return, after being MIA since last fall. Hopefully he remembers how to use his brakes, because he'll need them where we're going. :brows:

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
plan to ride in an hour, can barely hold a cup of coffee. I should probably find a hand Dr. and/or get an xray.
S has been seeing someone for carpal tunnel and arthritis in her wrist if you need a name.

Hoping to sneak out for a ride again this morning, given that the forecast is rain/storms all afternoon and evening.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The guys we hired for some outdoor renovations are certainly in no hurry to finish the work. They show up at 10:00, work a couple of hours, take a two hour lunch, work another hour or two, and are done for the day. I figured this work would take a week and we are on week three now. I don't really care but Wife is getting aggravated. There are two guys. I call them Beavis and Butthead, Sonny and Cher, Dumb and Dumber, Hall and Oates, Starsky and Hutch, Scooby and Scrappy, etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
had a dream/nightmare I was on a plane, some kind of small mid-size one, and i was close to the front. pilot clipped a tree on takeoff, bonked the nose on the ground then corrected, and i overheard him say something along the lines of "i think we can make it, let's go for it". woke in a panic. i blame @Pesqueeb

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

No motor oil facials this morning, so things are looking up. In fact, as of today, my truck is now paid off. Wonder how long the bliss of no car payment will last before the first major repair pops up.
Diesel facials are the best, for the following half hour everything looks like footage from The Young and the Restless. Diesel silk filter.

Moderate about of swearing was done today at work, but the day went fine.

Still trying to not spend money...... ordered a bike repair stand tonight, yay.
Seems our office lady didn't take my pink paint pen resignation seriously, three weeks before I finish she asked if I was still leaving.
She sounded surprised that I said 'Yes' and said she better put an ad up.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Mine's been paid off for about 6 years. But it's been in the shop for the last week awaiting a new oil pan (current one is rusted out), a new exhaust (even though a different garage replaced it last year), new rear rotors and pads (even though that same shop replaced them last year). All told, I'm looking at $4500 canuckistani pesos. I hope to get it back tomorrow.

I looked at the cost of a new car, and I'd hit that amount in under 6 months. so we're going to keep that one a while longer yet...

Work fuckery escalated to 10/FTS yesterday. Apparently it has been decreed that almost all shifts on the floor will now be 8 on, 6 off, along with a bunch of other not insignificant schedule changes. I have enough seniority to escape most of these changes but it damn near caused a riot during day shift yesterday, and word is that the much larger group of mechanics on nights took it even less well. So, today should be interesting. I'm guessing a whole hangar full of broken airplanes and gate delays lay ahead.
8 on 6 off... does that refer to days or hours? hours would suck... what were you at before?

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
8 on 6 off... does that refer to days or hours? hours would suck... what were you at before?
Days, work 8 days, off for 6. At least for day shift, the hours would be 0600-1600. This varies by shift, obviously. Currently most shifts are 4 days on, 3 off, also 10 hour days. Just a couple months ago I was working 11.5 hours days, every other weekend was a 4 dayer, but in fairness that shift was an anomaly, and basically created at my request and was too good to last. Most shifts for the history of ever in this airline, have been 4 on 3 off, hours varying.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mine's been paid off for about 6 years. But it's been in the shop for the last week awaiting a new oil pan (current one is rusted out), a new exhaust (even though a different garage replaced it last year), new rear rotors and pads (even though that same shop replaced them last year). All told, I'm looking at $4500 canuckistani pesos. I hope to get it back tomorrow.

I looked at the cost of a new car, and I'd hit that amount in under 6 months. so we're going to keep that one a while longer yet...
in the same boat. car has been paid off for about 6-7 yrs now. i'm the original owner, so i know the history. its only at 140k miles right now. with how much I've been driving it lately (not a lot, i average 2 days in office a week) I'm starting to wonder if it'll still be kicking when my son (currently 9) is old enough to learn to drive.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey there bing-bong

Committed to coming in to the office today to chat with my superior despite not having a lot of physical lab work to do. Got a note that she was WFH just as I sat in the car, but I decided to come in anyways. After my near-hour-long commute, I sit in our crappy office alone pondering life. At least I can access my data from here. Makes me think that the hour-long commute to the place my friend and former not-a-boss mentioned wouldn't be so bad- I am a fan of driving 40 miles in 40 minutes more than I am 4 miles in 40 minutes, even if the time spent is the same.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Diesel facials are the best, for the following half hour everything looks like footage from The Young and the Restless. Diesel silk filter.

Moderate about of swearing was done today at work, but the day went fine.

Still trying to not spend money...... ordered a bike repair stand tonight, yay.
Seems our office lady didn't take my pink paint pen resignation seriously, three weeks before I finish she asked if I was still leaving.
She sounded surprised that I said 'Yes' and said she better put an ad up.
Been there too. Nothing like being on the receiving end of a vehicular bukkake.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Days, work 8 days, off for 6. At least for day shift, the hours would be 0600-1600. This varies by shift, obviously. Currently most shifts are 4 days on, 3 off, also 10 hour days. Just a couple months ago I was working 11.5 hours days, every other weekend was a 4 dayer, but in fairness that shift was an anomaly, and basically created at my request and was too good to last. Most shifts for the history of ever in this airline, have been 4 on 3 off, hours varying.
I can see that being a big change. and not particularly compatible with family life... sigh. it would be nice if more employers saw their employees as people, and not units of productivity...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
in the same boat. car has been paid off for about 6-7 yrs now. i'm the original owner, so i know the history. its only at 140k miles right now. with how much I've been driving it lately (not a lot, i average 2 days in office a week) I'm starting to wonder if it'll still be kicking when my son (currently 9) is old enough to learn to drive.
man, it's crazy. we don't drive to work. all our driving is done to get the kids to ski practice, and me to mountain bike trails. but the way the schedules worked out this past winter, I was at the ski club 4x/week. I think I commuted for activities more than an average person does for work. Have one more year of overlapping schedules, then they line up again. if they stick with it...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
man, it's crazy. we don't drive to work. all our driving is done to get the kids to ski practice, and me to mountain bike trails. but the way the schedules worked out this past winter, I was at the ski club 4x/week. I think I commuted for activities more than an average person does for work. Have one more year of overlapping schedules, then they line up again. if they stick with it...
the annual mileage on my car dropped drastically since covid. i'm not complaining. my round trip commute for work is 34 miles. only real "distance" is sees any more is trips to the bike park (even then only a few times a summer) and the occasional trip to my parents when its just me and the kids (sometimes my wife stays home so she can have some time to herself, which she deserves). that round trip is i think 500ish.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I can see that being a big change. and not particularly compatible with family life... sigh. it would be nice if more employers saw their employees as people, and not units of productivity...
Management has made it quite clear that they do not give a shit and that we are nothing but an expense to be cut at all costs.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
S has been seeing someone for carpal tunnel and arthritis in her wrist if you need a name.

Hoping to sneak out for a ride again this morning, given that the forecast is rain/storms all afternoon and evening.
Thanks, send it over! And I haven't forgotten about teh chainsaw either, just ... stuff.
trying to get in to Panorama today. Dr. R says it's tendonitis and arthritis, because I'm high mileage, so I'm going to try and get a steroid shot and call it fixed.

also, rode Chimney up to the saddle this morning. Glorious. go ride your bike.