Quantcast

What breed dog?

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
So the wife (and apparently the 11 month old) want a dog? Wife is voting for a ****zu (sp?). I am voting for something more like a "dog". Like the idea of beagles, but I hear they are escape artists. I grew up with larger dogs like labs, dalmations (hyper, did not last long), Irish Setter, and the like. So I guess what would be comfortable to me would be something around 20-25# and not really need a "haircut". Fur is good, smaller hard poop is good, one that is good with kids, and we have a house cat (personality wise, much like a dog!). Our cat weighs more than a ****zu?? Any suggestions? :confused: :confused:
Thanks...
Mike

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by laxincubus311
i have a jack russel, hes the coolest dog ever, he has such a personality for a god.
Ditto that - I have 2 JRTs. They need tons of exercise, and probably won't take well to sharing their universe with a cat. But they are easily trainable, fiercely loyal, and great family dogs.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
hahaha i'm sorry i have no business in this thread but i find it completely hilarious the filter won't let you type ****zu!:D

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Originally posted by Skookum
hahaha i'm sorry i have no business in this thread but i find it completely hilarious the filter won't let you type ****zu!:D
And I did spell it wrong too! Ha ha ha. Shih-zu, apparently (or did I hack that one?):rolleyes:

Thanks for all the info, the chinook is a cool looking pooch.

Mike

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Bullmastiff

This is my girl Roxy. She's a dainty lil thing at 110lbs. a bit undersized for the breed.

Kidding.

You might want to look at one of the "pointing" breeds. I had a English Pointer for 14 years that was just gentle as heck. They have oily skin which keeps shedding under control, minimizes dander (allergies?) and fleas don't like it either. The English Pointer and German Shorthaired can get a bit big but the Czech version called a Visla is usually less than 35lbs or so and they are great dogs.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
a mutt! i found my dog near a dumpster when he was a puppy, and man o man, he is the greatest and fastest dog in the universe.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by monkeyboy424
a mutt! i found my dog near a dumpster when he was a puppy, and man o man, he is the greatest and fastest dog in the universe.

exactly...just go to the pound and potentially save a dog's life...who cares what breed they are.....D

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by Sven tha Viking
a visla! cool dogs.
I grew up with one, loved it and it was a great hunting dog, but not great with kids. A little hyper and tended to dig a lot. When I grew up I loved having it around, but my mom hated him. They seem to have health problems as they grow older, really sad to see.

Personally I would stay as far away from a ****zu as you can, a girl in my class at school had one....not sure who I disliked more, her or the dog. I know cats that are better dogs than that thing.

I'm a fan of Australian Sheep Dogs. Highly intelligent, beautiful dogs, good attitude, and pleasant to be around. I've known a few people who had them and they loved the dogs, small too, but medium lengthed hair. A good dog to check out.

A pound puppy is a great idea, if you can get the right one. You can usually come out of there with a great dog.

The Ito

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by Meat Foot
I am voting for something more like a "dog". Like the idea of beagles, but I hear they are escape artists. Fur is good, smaller hard poop is good, one that is good with kids, and we have a house cat (personality wise, much like a dog!). Our cat weighs more than a ****zu?? Any suggestions? :confused: :confused:
Thanks...
Mike
I'll second the vote on the beagle. We had a maltese (little toy dog) that passed away this last Christmas. On new years day we bought a 4 month old female beagle (Sophie) and she has been the best dog. In the 5 months we have had her, she has had 3 accidents in the house, she was raised outside so I think that helped the whole house training deal. She has been great with our friends 18 month old boy, and does great with other dogs at our local dog park.

Our beagle has not shown any strong escape artist tendencies yet. She has dug around our fence in a few places, but we were able to redirect her attention elsewhere. On the attention thing, it seems like beagle have a raging case of ADD, it can be work to keep them focused on something (like training). I will say that everytime we have changed a behavoir (like from sleeping on our bed to sleeping on her bed) she picked up on it quick and within a day was in a routine.

Routine seems to be the key with beagles. I don't need an alarm in the morning anymore, Sophie wakes me up every morning at the same time to go out and eat, and every night at exactly 6:00 she lets me know its time for dinner.

Anyway, my vote is for beagles, they are great small "real" dogs.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
For the love of God, please just get one that doesn't sit outside and BARK all f*#@&ng night. Last night I thought I was going to have to knock on the neighbor's door and say, "Since I'm up because of your dog barking, I figured I'd come over and wake you up."

Luckily I fell asleep first. :D

-S.S.-

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by monkeyboy424
:stupid:

Mutts rule. I know plenty of people who have tracked down great breeders and paid through the nose for a healthy purebred only to have to deal with health issues 5 years down the road. Mutts are genetically superior:) .

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Count me in as a vote for the mutt from your local Humane Society. Westy is right, cross-breeds usually do have fewer genetic problems than purebred dogs.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Mutt - I've had 3 purebreads and 2 mutts in my life. Mutt hands down. Go hit the pound and stay away from the purebreads.

Whatever you do spay/neuter.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Get a good trail dog :) Something you can take running/biking/to the park etc etc :D

Nothing breakable
Nothing too short to keep up
Nothing that yips (ugh)

:D

Mutts are cool
I like herding breeds and sighthounds :) oh and big dogs, but big dogs don't always make great trail dogs. Saw a great ridgeback the other day, oy she was a pretty girl.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Dont get a mutt. You're putting some poor euthanasiaologist out of work and hurting the economy if you do that. Blue heelers are where its at.

Just watch last of the Dogmen.;)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I, 123543 the Mutt thing

Oreo, my Lab/Pit/Boxer whoknows mix

Smarter, less prone to health problems and if you get them at the Humane Society you are helping a great cause.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
You guys and gals are the bestest. I new I could count on ya'll. I am anti yip as well. Mutts do not bother me in the least. The family dog that we had for 14 years was predominantly lab, but was indeed a mix. No problems. I have heard extremes about all breeds. Like coming home and finding all the siding from 4 feet to the ground pulled off your house by sparky the lab.

Rescuing one from the pound or other entities is fine too.

Many of the breeds mentioned are a little large, as we like to travel in a car. As many may know, when you have a 11 month old toddler/infant/baby?? it is like packing for 4 adults. So, space becomes a premium.

Anyways thanks for all the input and keep them coming!

Mike

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
A buddy of mine did a bunch of research a while back and decided to get a Whippet.. but then the wife had him get a Lab.

That aside, I do love my Lab. I dont think you can go wrong with any dog.

TimeBomb

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Brockton, MA, U.S.A.
How about a Boston Terrier pup ? They range between 14 - 22 lbs. They're very intelligent and do not need a lot of room or exercise. I still have one unclaimed one from out last litter. She'll be ready to go by the end of May.

Attachments

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
I'll pretty much repeat what many people have said. Spend a day visiting all your surrounding Humane Societies and Pounds, I guaruntee you will fall in love with one (most likely more than one). As for breed, see what's around in the "used" dog department at said locations, you seem fairly open so you'll find a lot.