Quantcast

What Would Westy Do (WWWD)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yesterday I was feeling dog-tired and had a minor but persistent headache all day. After a very solid week of riding I woke up at 4:30AM and just didn’t feel like pedaling at all. I ate breakfast and went back to bed until 8. Eventually I logged onto the monkey so that I could see the pictures of the Monkeys at Dalton this weekend. After reading all the times and standing (which were pretty good) I was blown away by Westy’s superb feat of physical endurance. While I am big on endurance racing I can only dream of doing what Westy did – and I know he didn’t do it by bagging rides. I felt like a chump all day while I was doing what I do… as soon as I got home I got on the bike did what I had to do – the first hour or so sucked but I worked into it and got my saddle time in.

I guess my point is that we all need people we look up to and draw inspiration from – for me, right now – that person is Westy. I wish I had been there to see him in action or be his support – support is so critical to a good endurance race. So much more challenging than farting in the mens room - don't you think L'opie?

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Again words can never do justice.

I was blown away at how quiet and friendly he was. After putting 4 race laps in on that course, I still can't comprehend what Westy has accomplished.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I was feeling pretty tired at the end of the race. Then I saw Westy cross the finish line and realized I had absolutely no idea what it meant to be tired. I almost felt guilty for being tired. Seeing Westy in action was truly inspiring. :) I felt honored that I had the chance to meet him and congratulate him.

Our team did 19 laps and we were all exhausted. Westy did 17 ON HIS OWN. :help:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I Are Baboon said:
I felt honored that I had the chance to meet him and congratulate him.
I would have too - it's pretty cool that you guys all had the chance to meet and support each other during the race. Shouting encouragement and recogizing a racer does so much for them on an emotional level. Hearing your name and knowing there are people cheering for you is such a high. 50% of endurance racing is all in the head - good support helps keep you mind where it needs to be.

Being a diehard WestCoaster... this race and you monkeys are the only good things I've ever heard about the EastCoast. :evil:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Serial Midget said:
Yesterday I was feeling dog-tired and had a minor but persistent headache all day. After a very solid week of riding I woke up at 4:30AM and just didn’t feel like pedaling at all. I ate breakfast and went back to bed until 8. Eventually I logged onto the monkey so that I could see the pictures of the Monkeys at Dalton this weekend. After reading all the times and standing (which were pretty good) I was blown away by Westy’s superb feat of physical endurance. While I am big on endurance racing I can only dream of doing what Westy did – and I know he didn’t do it by bagging rides. I felt like a chump all day while I was doing what I do… as soon as I got home I got on the bike did what I had to do – the first hour or so sucked but I worked into it and got my saddle time in.

I guess my point is that we all need people we look up to and draw inspiration from – for me, right now – that person is Westy. I wish I had been there to see him in action or be his support – support is so critical to a good endurance race. So much more challenging than farting in the mens room - don't you think L'opie?
Hey, great post Midge. I never would have read the thread about the race if you didn't post this.

WOW, I'll just think of Westy and the rest of the riders that did the event when ever I feel like sitting on my ass watching TV.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Glad I could help you out SM. :D

I think the key to doing something tough is just really wanting to accomplish it. Convince yourself that stopping is not an option, just don't set unrealistic goals.

I don't like to talk about it but something that helped me get through Dalton was thinking about my mother. She has been very sick for the past two years, but until recently has gone to work almost every day. The past few months she has been in a lot of pain, enough that doctors have pretty much just given her a huge bottle of morphine for her to take as she needs. But she does not want to be doped up and only takes ibuprofin so she can stay lucid. I figure if she could deal with that I could keep riding a bike around in circles for a while.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Skookum said:
Big deal, i think he's "doping".
Don't be suprised if his name get's dropped in this whole BALCO investigation. :evil: :monkey:

You are correct, I was consuming large amounts of this white powder.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It was truly a amazing thing to witness. All during my volunteer shift I kept track of him (and others). I was located at the Over/Under bridge for 5.5 hours and got to really witness the spirit of the race and see first hand a side of racing I never knew (I have only ever raced). I so wanted to be out there racing and well it ain't happening this year but I digress....

After my volunteer shift I checked on my team. Helped another team from Rochester (Tourdebar), and then checked on Westy as I saw him coming off a lap. I was amazed that he had no support! He explained to me about his finger and stated he wouldn't make it without his magic pills. I found some and hooked him up. When he came of his next lap I decided he could use some more help and started helping him with his bike and stuff. I felt it was the right thing to do and was very happy to help. At this point I had been up for a while and got some rest. When I woke up I helped out my team and split time between them and Westy. I was hoping that would be cool and they would understand. They did. It was heartwarming to see the level of help and cooperation amongst the teams. I hope that next year I can find some support as I think I may need it.

I talked some smack this year and stated I was going to race solo. Well that was before I realized what that entailed. Wow what a freekin massive effort it is to race a 24 hour race! I have a lot of work to do before I can be at that level. I am going to Dalton next year and I want to race in a 2 man team. I did quite a lot of training this year. But it was only to have a more comfortable year and to enjoy myself without have the springtime dreads.

All in all it was a truly fantastic time and a wonderful event. I think I may have caught the endurance racing bug. I am sure the couple of events I did compare nothing to what happened this weekend. Thanks to everyone for the cool oppurtunity to help you.

Jim (jdcamb)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy,

you are inspiring.......and gave me the itch to do a solo, but I'm hoping the itch will go away ( lol )

:thumb:

Jim,

thanks again...you went above and beyond

helping us & volunteering, and helping other teams, helping westy...even making sure splats kids were warm when it got cold at night....

:thumb:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
jdcamb said:
... I am going to Dalton next year and I want to race in a 2 man team. ..
Jim (jdcamb)
that was mighty cool of you.

Ps i've never done a 2 man team (i have done 5person, 4person and solo) but it really does seam harder than solo.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Westy is and will remain "King Monkey"...truly awe-inspiring!!! We were more than happy to cheer you on every time we saw you. I only wish you had passed me on the trail so I could have offered you some support out in the middle of the woods when I know I needed it! ;)

Can't wait for Dalton next year!!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
One of my favorite Westy moments from this past weekend came when he stopped by the 4MAAB camp. He just kind of shyly walked into our camp as we were all sitting around. Holding a box, he said quietly "Did somebody need to borrow a light?" We all just sat there and looked at him. The he said "I'm Westy from ridemonkey", and we all jumped up at once "WESTY!!!!! Nice to me you! Come on it, have a beer!!"

Good stuff. :D

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
splat said:
I really Appreciate that Jim !!!
I did not relize how much you did (while I was trying to get an Hours sleep) till my Son told me last night .

thank you very very Much .
No thank you. I think your kids are awesome. I really enjoyed having them around. You are a lucky man my friend......jdcamb

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Hey, good job Westy. Inspiring to me too and I don't even race. I was just wondering out of curiosity, what it takes as far as training to do a 24 hour race? How many hours on the bike per day, regimen etc? Not that I'll be doing it, just curious.

Knuckle

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
One of my favorite Westy moments from this past weekend came when he stopped by the 4MAAB camp. He just kind of shyly walked into our camp as we were all sitting around. Holding a box, he said quietly "Did somebody need to borrow a light?" We all just sat there and looked at him. The he said "I'm Westy from ridemonkey", and we all jumped up at once "WESTY!!!!! Nice to me you! Come on it, have a beer!!"

Good stuff. :D
That was excellent indeed - and those lights definitely helped our team out immensely!

I did my fastest lap at night and had it not been for those handlebar lights it would have most likely have been my slowest lap.

Once again, Westy, you are the man!!