Quantcast

Who of You Don’t Answer Your Phones?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
fucking moron...I would assume SAR left a voice message. Even if I don't answer an unknown # if they leave a VM I would check it. I would also look at any texts sent to me. Now add in repeated calls if I was lost yeah I would answer one

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ok, but it could have been a telemarketer...Last thing I'm going to do when I'm lost is listen to how I should buy a time share in Aspen.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I take great joy in talking with “Steven from card services” to find out what kind of pizza and wings are on the buffet. I ain’t goin on no free vacation if it ain’t got my favorite pizza.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I also do not answer calls from those unknown callers.

Then again, I also don't answer calls from known callers. So.........:ph34r:

But I'm also a little further along on the logical thought process ladder than those - if I was lost and seeking help, yeah for sure I'd answering calls.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I dont answer my phone, unless its my inmediate family.
I normally expect a text asking for whatever needed, or a "can I call you? message first"
Straight up calling people on the phone is rude IMHO

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Who leaves their phone on while in the woods ? Fucking amateurs.
covid times have been a mix of entertainment and depression for me

the number of people out hiking in very expensive very new clothes literally staring at their phones 10 inches from their faces while walking and looking up every few seconds with the "is this the right one?" look on their face is something to behold

If I could find out a way to block just phone GPS systems, I'd pay money. Some people just don't belong outside

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I tended to not answer calls from unknown numbers either. Until it realized that all of the healthcare providers numbers that were trying to get a hold of me to book appointments used unlisted numbers or blocked caller ID. Why they would do that is beyond me. At any rate, I started having to use the "screen my calls" feature from Google. It works fairly well.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
the number of people out hiking in very expensive very new clothes literally staring at their phones 10 inches from their faces while walking and looking up every few seconds with the "is this the right one?" look on their face is something to behold
This gets even better here when you see people "hike" in full gear and check every trail fork on their phones in our state park 8 miles from downtown Boston.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
covid times have been a mix of entertainment and depression for me

If I could find out a way to block just phone GPS systems, I'd pay money. Some people just don't belong outside
From November to March I stopped going outside. No hiking, riding or even walking for four goddamn months because of people like you described.

After the Pandemic is over and I have completed my thru hike of the A.T. I might bulk back up to bouncer size and start walking in the middle and let those dumb fucks who refuse to give anyone an inch of space, let alone six feet, bounce off of me. Something to be said for being a large scary mammal.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
My number has been added to some Indian scammers call list lately. I wish they would keep calling, it's always a bright spot in my day.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
From November to March I stopped going outside. No hiking, riding or even walking for four goddamn months because of people like you described.

After the Pandemic is over and I have completed my thru hike of the A.T. I might bulk back up to bouncer size and start walking in the middle and let those dumb fucks who refuse to give anyone an inch of space, let alone six feet, bounce off of me. Something to be said for being a large scary mammal.
I have fun with that

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
A friend of mine used to work for a company that sells those, I understand you can even get this as a ‘feature’ in certain wifi routers. His main clients were prisons and certain govt departments but in NZ they are not illegal to deploy on private property as long as they don’t interfere with other people’s reception. They have beam shaping and all sorts.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I remember being on a SAR in the Santa Cruz Mountains. A couple was lost in the darkness. Hwy 35 where they parked their car runs along the summit ridge. when they got lost at dusk they headed downhill because it was easier walking never mind that if they went up they would hit the road. next road down hill is 10 miles away. oh and no flashlight or warm clothes. We found them at 3 am stuck in a gully 1/4 mile down hill from the highway. Yes they are the ones that should never leave the city.