Quantcast

Who of You Don’t Answer Your Phones?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I tended to not answer calls from unknown numbers either. Until it realized that all of the healthcare providers numbers that were trying to get a hold of me to book appointments used unlisted numbers or blocked caller ID. Why they would do that is beyond me. At any rate, I started having to use the "screen my calls" feature from Google. It works fairly well.
Very familiar with that. Probably had 100 calls like this. Anything from the hospitals were from unknown/blocked numbers. Dread always overcame me when I saw my phone light up w/ those. F that.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I believe that lady was climbing all the 14ers in high heels, it was on the local news a while ago. Might have been a charity thing, can't remember.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Years ago a friend of mine bought a pair of MTB wheels from a local mountain bike chick who was also an associate math professor at UVA. She wanted to meet at a local tire shop to swap wheels for cash, which seemed a little strange, but things got stranger. As he pulled into the parking lot he got a text from her telling him to go around the back of the building. When he did he saw that she was in the middle of a professional looking photoshoot where she was naked posing on stacks of used tires.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Years ago a friend of mine bought a pair of MTB wheels from a local mountain bike chick who was also an associate math professor at UVA. She wanted to meet at a local tire shop to swap wheels for cash, which seemed a little strange, but things got stranger. As he pulled into the parking lot he got a text from her telling him to go around the back of the building. When he did he saw that she was in the middle of a professional looking photoshoot where she was naked posing on stacks of used tires.
Happy ending?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Did he fix the cable?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Academia doesn't pay well. :homer:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Lots of stories start that way

None of them end that way

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Eh, I think this story was overblown.

From what I could tell the "lost" person didn't call for rescue, they just didn't return from their hike at the appointed time so S&R were alerted.

I have gotten into similar disagreement with my spousal unit (pre-cell phone, though most of the "good" trails are out of cell service) when she called the cops looking for me as I was late to return from a bike ride after getting lost due to recent logging activity on the trail.

They pulled me over shortly after I found my way back to my car @ midnight.

Thankfully I didn't have my post-ride beer open -- yet ;)

My preference is to be given until Noon the next day, which should be enough time to walk out in the AM.

She disagrees, but I maintain I've limped out of every situation so far -- knock on wood -- and wouldn't want to waste S&R's time over a mechanical.

If I am lying on the trail concussed, broken or bleeding out after being half-eaten from a bear I don't see how 12 hours would make "much" of a difference anywho...

YMMV