Quantcast

Wifes new bike and my selfishness

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Well, I finally figured out why my wife doesn't really get into mountain biking too much. I let her ride my hollowpoint MTX and I rode this

:think: After about 3 minutes on her bike, my wrists felt like they were going to shatter. I then realized the brakes/shifter orientation on the bars were backwards. Gotta love Wachusett cyclery. I then realized that this bike that I tortured her to ride for 2 years is a CERTIFED TOTAL PIECE OF ******G S**T. Chain always falls off the granny, shifts like garbage. Just a total horrorshow of a bike.

I couldn't believe how horrible this bike was. Then realized that this bike was about a step up from a Wal Mart special. I felt very selfish when I got off her bike as I looked at my brand new Iron horse. Well, she loved my bike and couldn't believe how well and easy it was to ride, and this is a 36lb pig mind you. Well a quick call to the place where I ordered my MTX yeilded a price of $1500 for a Hollowpoint Sport and then a quick click over to Supergo yeilded the same bike, for $300 less, and a waiting period of one day.
Now why I would pay an extra $300 for a bike that will take 4 weeks to get vs. saving $300 and paying $20 for overnight shipping? I don't know how the LBS can stay in business, but anyhow here's what I bought her and I think it's a sweet ass bike for the price, already has disk brakes HFX 9's I think, has XT group, manitou 3way shock. She's gonna be psyched.
Knuckle

J

JRB

Cool on ya. Supergo hooked my wife up with a K2 Razorback for a grand when she had a crap ride. It had a crap fork but an XT/XTR build so I just gave her a Marz to go with it. She likes it well. Just remember, Supergo is someone's local shop. I bought a Jamis Dakar from a shop that had the frame listed on Ebay. The shops that complain should use the Internet to their advantage. I don't hold the LBS in contempt, but every retailer has to compete with web sales. It's just that we are involved with bikes so we hear about it. I am sure music shops complain too.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
loco-gringo said:
I bought a Jamis Dakar from a shop that had the frame listed on Ebay. The shops that complain should use the Internet to their advantage. I don't hold the LBS in contempt, but every retailer has to compete with web sales. It's just that we are involved with bikes so we hear about it. I am sure music shops complain too.
Agreed. Years ago, I bought my Colnago from a shop in Wisconson over the internet (way back when AOL's forums were a happenin' place). I brought the frame to my LBS, they were quitre understanding about it (considering how much I paid for it) and were perfectly happy to sell a bottom braket for it and face & chase the frame along with a Chris King headset. I bought other parts from them to get the frame up and running.

Another LBS I go to occasionally sells off stagnant inventory on Ebay. He does quite well with it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hey thats great that you still went with Iron Horse too!! Let me know what you think off the 2004 model as opposed to the 2003.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Knuckleslammer said:
She's gonna be psyched.[/IMG]
wait, she doesn't know? You're surprising her? B-day, other or randomness?

way cool.

But I'm confused, your wife's a woman, right? She didn't complain about how crappy her bike rode? A woman who didn't complain? Almost makes ya believe in god, huh?

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
dh girlie said:
uh huh...did you also have them paint KNUCKLESLAMMER on it???? Like Homer getting marge a bowling ball with homer on it...jk

How is the kitty doing?
:D

Kitty is still hurtin. His eye doesn't look like a golfball anymore. My wife took him back to the doc last week. The doc goes
"how long has this been happening" and was worried caus it still was swelled up a lot. So he switched the antibiotic (one of the 7 meds he has for his eye) and the swelling went down over the past week. His eye is starting to open, but I'm still freaked out as it looks grey, not blue like the other one :confused:
I just want him better, NOW :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

Well, I'm sure his eye will never look normal, but if he can use it, I'm happy. I just was so bummed at the thought of him having his eye removed, he's only 2 years old. But we brought him there (to the eye doctor) thinking he'd have to go bye bye for good, so we're pretty happy he's still around even though it's so sad to see his eye like that. I take him out on the leash every day and he rolls around on the cool walkway and has a blast eating/choking up grass. That damn cat had such a profound effect on me when he got a little older. He's as good/better than any dog I've seen. I have a dog too btw, before anyone attacks me :D
I just love the saimese. Prince rules. I'll take some more pics of him.
Thanks for asking.
Kevin

Nitromike

Monkey
May 14, 2004
Some ghetto in Houston
Knuckleslammer said:
Well, I finally figured out why my wife doesn't really get into mountain biking too much. I let her ride my hollowpoint MTX and I rode this

:think: After about 3 minutes on her bike, my wrists felt like they were going to shatter. I then realized the brakes/shifter orientation on the bars were backwards. Gotta love Wachusett cyclery. I then realized that this bike that I tortured her to ride for 2 years is a CERTIFED TOTAL PIECE OF ******G S**T. Chain always falls off the granny, shifts like garbage. Just a total horrorshow of a bike.

I couldn't believe how horrible this bike was. Then realized that this bike was about a step up from a Wal Mart special. I felt very selfish when I got off her bike as I looked at my brand new Iron horse. Well, she loved my bike and couldn't believe how well and easy it was to ride, and this is a 36lb pig mind you. Well a quick call to the place where I ordered my MTX yeilded a price of $1500 for a Hollowpoint Sport and then a quick click over to Supergo yeilded the same bike, for $300 less, and a waiting period of one day.
Now why I would pay an extra $300 for a bike that will take 4 weeks to get vs. saving $300 and paying $20 for overnight shipping? I don't know how the LBS can stay in business, but anyhow here's what I bought her and I think it's a sweet ass bike for the price, already has disk brakes HFX 9's I think, has XT group, manitou 3way shock. She's gonna be psyched.
Knuckle

But in all fairness you originally bought her a $300 childrens bike and expected it to compare to a $1000+ Iron Horse?

FRAME A1, double butted TT and Arched DT, machined head tube, arched down tube, forged dropouts w/ replaceable hanger
FORK RST Capa T4, 51mm travel, alloy steerer, Cr-Mo 25.4mm stanchions, Coil/MCU w/ preload adjustable, cold forged alloy crown, 1-piece alloy lowers w/ mini boots
HEADSET 1 1/8" threadless, sealed loose ball
STEM A-Head, 1-1/8" alloy, 15 degree rise, 11"-60mm/14"-75mm length
HANDLEBARS Alloy, flat, 6 degree sweep, 540mm width
TAPE / GRIPS Kraton "Revo" style
FRONT BRAKE Tektro, alloy linear pull, stainless steel pipe, 60mm all weather pads
REAR BRAKE Tektro, alloy linear pull, stainless steel pipe, 60mm all weather pads
BRAKE LEVERS Tektro junior "V", alloy, linear pull compatible
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Acera, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pull
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano RS-41 "Revo" twist shifters, 3/7speed
FREEWHEEL Shimano HG37, 7-speed, 14x28t
CHAIN Shimano IG
CRANKSET Truvative "ISO Flow", alloy 160mm w/ chainguard, capless bolts, 4 arm 94BCD w/ replaceable c'rings
CHAINRINGS Truvative 42t 7075 alloy, heat treated Cr-Mo 32t and 22t
BOTTOM BRACKET Truvative, square taper, 68x113mm, Cr-Mo spindle, sealed cartridge bearing, drive side crank stop
PEDALS Steel cage, resin body(toe clip compatible) w/ reflectors
RIMS Alex 24"x 1.50", alloy, double wall, pinned w/ CNC side walls
FRONT HUB Alloy, 32 hole, double sealed w/ alloy QR
REAR HUB Alloy, 32 hole, double sealed w/ alloy QR, freewheel type
SPOKES 2.0mm (14g) stainless steel, brass nipples, L239/R239mm front, L238/R237mm rear
FRONT TIRE Specialized Roll X 24x1.8 blackwall
REAR TIRE Specialized Roll X 24x1.8 blackwall
TUBES Specialized schraeder valve
SADDLE Specialized Mini Mountain
SEAT POST Alloy, micro adjust, 27.2x300mm
SEAT BINDER Specialized forged alloy, 31.8mm I.D., w/alloy QR

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Yeah, I just diddn't know and she either if she would exactly get into it like me, so we bought a cheapie, it was 26" though, not 24". I just diddn't realize how tough it was to ride that thing. It pedals and goes ok, it's just super uncomfortable. Well, now she'll have a 1/2 decent bike and a much better time.

Knuckle

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Knuckleslammer said:
:D

Kitty is still hurtin. His eye doesn't look like a golfball anymore. My wife took him back to the doc last week. The doc goes
"how long has this been happening" and was worried caus it still was swelled up a lot. So he switched the antibiotic (one of the 7 meds he has for his eye) and the swelling went down over the past week. His eye is starting to open, but I'm still freaked out as it looks grey, not blue like the other one :confused:
I just want him better, NOW :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

Well, I'm sure his eye will never look normal, but if he can use it, I'm happy. I just was so bummed at the thought of him having his eye removed, he's only 2 years old. But we brought him there (to the eye doctor) thinking he'd have to go bye bye for good, so we're pretty happy he's still around even though it's so sad to see his eye like that. I take him out on the leash every day and he rolls around on the cool walkway and has a blast eating/choking up grass. That damn cat had such a profound effect on me when he got a little older. He's as good/better than any dog I've seen. I have a dog too btw, before anyone attacks me :D
I just love the saimese. Prince rules. I'll take some more pics of him.
Thanks for asking.
Kevin
Surely after some time it will get better...like you said...he's still with you and he can use his eye, so even if it's sad now, it will be worth it when he's back to his old self. It f'n sucks when your pet is suffering. My cat had to have a couple of teeth pulled and it was so heartbreaking how pitiful she looked...but they get better and bounce back. Just sucks waiting for it. Well, I'll be looking forward to seeing new pics of him...