Quantcast

Wow, how the fuhk do I react...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I was put on a project with the head hancho/owner of our company... he wants to launch a new product right, and he came up with a name that is taken by several other companies and doesnt fit the function of the product AT ALL. So I nicely and delicately sent him an e-mail saying that I had discovered that the name was in use by multiple organizations for products that we don't want ours associated with...

Long story short: I get an e-mail from him saying: DONT SECOND GUESS MY DECISIONS! You have obviously spent a great deal of time doing what you are not paid to do... etc etc.

Whats funny is, I am the creative director, what I was doing was precisely what my job is, plus I didnt spend a great deal of time, I spent like 10 minutes.

At first I was really mad and thought about, in all seriousness, going and telling my boss (the president) what the chairman had said to me and then giving my 2 weeks, but I think that would be a little over the top. How do you react to some crap like that? If it was a client I'd say "blow me, go find yourself another designer", but this is my main source of income :(

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
the only thing you can really do is nothing......

I get that crap alot from our head boss. 63 years old and doesn't understand what he his managing.

you could tell the boss(who sent the email saying you did too much thinking) that you simply did a google search and it took you less then two minutes. just a quick explaination of why you looked and how that typicly falls into the graphic designers job description. I doubt he would care though....sounds like an A-hole.

I give him :nuts:

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Tell him that you ARE doing your job and you were only trying to save his pathetic ass from looking like an idiot. Then give him a good nut kick.

Seriously though, this is a tough situation. Give in, and you've made youself his personal doormat for life. Stick up for yourself and he may fire you for insubordination. How reasonable is your direct boss? Could you vent to him?

golgiaparatus said:
If it was a client I'd say "blow me, go find yourself another designer", but this is my main source of income :(
I generally exercise more tact with clients than with my boss.
In your case, I would nod my head, carry on with the project, and privately document his misguided directions and your response. Sometimes the honchos need to pay for a lesson before they learn it.

golgiaparatus said:
You have obviously spent a great deal of time doing what you are not paid to do... etc etc.
Maybe he was referring to your post count. :D

D

Dingus McGee

Let your boss make an ass out of himself....it's not your reputation on the line....or is it? I could save my boss from blunders all the time but I gave up
and I leave it at the job when I walk out the door every night.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It sucks man. I'm making about half of what I used to, in part cuz of the economy and in part cuz of choice. While I'm stressed about being in debt and knowing that I can't just go party or buy stuff like I used to, I'm far happier 5 days a week, 9 hours a day than all the other alternatives available to me.

So I say tell him to get on his knees and suck you d:ck... then enjoy your new lifestyle :evil:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
No matter what else you do forward these e-mails to your personal e-mail account and bcc that account in future e-mails about this.

Just a CYA, in case things go south.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
WestCoastHucker said:
when i get those a-hole e-mails, i respond and cc a higher up....
uhh, i think the a-hole in question is the owner of the company. And god doesn't give a ****. Guess that leaves Bush?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
I would most defintely keep the emails. If this guy is as big an a-hole as you paint him to be he very well could point the finger at you when your prediction comes true.
If you have the emails you will if nothing else be able to say I told you so.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Do something creative dud.
1. put a open can of tuna in the ceiling above where he sits
2. Put a turkey leg in a sealed ball jar with a cup of mayo in it and wait a week. BAM.
3. stuff about 19 potatos in the exhaust of his Lexus or whatever the PIG drives.
4. Just walk into the office and blow his fu****g head off :eviltongu
5. Burn his house down.

Knuckle

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Punch the dude in the face call him a jackass and run away. thats what i do to my boss.

wait i have no job. ****.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
If it were me, just because I know my boss wouldn't fire me in that kind of situation. I would tell him that researching whether or not a project will benifit or hamper the company is part of my job description. I would also say that I didn't feel that I had second guessed his decision but I feel that I was making sure that everything was in order before we proceeded with the project. I would also forward all emails to my personal account.
I hate email at the office. It is so lame, it makes people have Keyboard Courage when they could just talk face to face. If he wants to yell at you in all caps then he is a moron.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
If you do talk to your boss about it, whatever you do, make sure you DON'T emphasize the fact that you were right. You might even want to go so far as to say that you were thinking about said product last night after work and the realized the name sounded kinda familiar. I definitely wouldn't quit though, having your boss chew you out blows, but it sure beats unemployment.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
gastrocnemius said:
I generally exercise more tact with clients than with my boss.
In your case, I would nod my head, carry on with the project, and privately document his misguided directions and your response. Sometimes the honchos need to pay for a lesson before they learn it.

Maybe he was referring to your post count. :D
This is basically what I have done so far. Except for an e-mail to him that basically said that it only took me 10 min to find a slew of products that used a similar name. I also threw in "It wasnt my intention to offend you, I was just trying to help"... hehe I titled the e-mail ouch, so at least he knows that his words bothered me.

Just for $hits and giggles I threw out some resume's to a few key companies, we'll see if anyone bites :D If they do then Ill have some leverage to A) Tell the man what I thought of what he said and bolt
B) or stick it to him where it counts, "his wallet" and ask him for a sizable raise because I've had another offer.

As for post count... I better have a good count after being on here this long :monkey:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Knuckleslammer said:
Do something creative dud.
2. Put a turkey leg in a sealed ball jar with a cup of mayo in it and wait a week. BAM.
3. stuff about 19 potatos in the exhaust of his Lexus or whatever the PIG drives.
5. Burn his house down.

Knuckle
LOL! Gotta find new job before I do that kind of stuff... besides, he lives a long way off... Maybe 15-20 hours away.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Oh, one of those a******s that drives 20 hours to work. IDIOT. Bet he never leaves either. WORK WORK WORK. I f*****g hate people. People have no lives and their only hobby is work. That puts me in a rage unseen. JERKS, go home you f*****g droids.

Knuckle

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Knuckleslammer said:
Oh, one of those a******s that drives 20 hours to work. IDIOT. Bet he never leaves either. WORK WORK WORK. I f*****g hate people. People have no lives and their only hobby is work. That puts me in a rage unseen. JERKS, go home you f*****g droids.

Knuckle
Umm... no. He is never at work. He flies in and chews people out for a week about bimonthly. Hes one of "those" a******s. Like I said, the man has 60,000,000 he he is on permanent vacation.

He is a funny funny man, he is in his early 70s, has made a huge fortune taking over and then selling companies with exception of the one he founded 25 years ago (this company). He is extremely racist... I heard a story one time that he had his personal assistant trying to find him a new limo driver... he insisted that his limo driver be a black man :eek:... I couldnt believe my ears, I knew he was a prick, but that one shocked me...

Heres more a of his wonderful personality in 99 some money magazine interviewed him and here is a small quote of his, "most people are idiots being about as adept as monkies" (talking to us :monkies: directly here)

However by far the funniest thing he has ever said to me...

First let me set the stage: He introduces his new VP of operations, even goes so far as to say that he researched this guy so much he even found out that he had the highest IQ in his graduating class (now that is anal), he spews on and on about how this guy is the best in the industry and basically says that his $hit dont stink.

2 weeks later I call him about a product development project because I was getting contradicting orders from the VP and him... he says "Dont listen to that idiot, he doesnt know the first thing about marketing".

Anyway, he is an assface in the classic sense.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
It's times like these that make me so happy to be a government employee...

It's kinda like bein in a gang...no one can phuck with you and if they do, they get slammed by the union. No OT, off at 4 every day, great benefits, retirement, decent salary...and if you have half a brain they think you're a genius! :thumb:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
dh girlie said:
It's times like these that make me so happy to be a government employee...
No kidding. It's also times like these I thank God that I have a pair of great bosses: they're smart as hell and both remember what it was like to be a noob.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Knuckleslammer said:
Do something creative dud(e).
5. Burn his house down.

Knuckle
:thumb:

"The Secret Life of Knuckles Mitty"

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Never second guess the head honcho...They have one person they pay to do so, and they are not really interested in anything someone else has to say. Most of them are only happy if'n you squeek only when asked to. :rolleyes: Sorry to hear about the a-hole...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Dear Employees:

It has been brought to management's attention that some individuals
throughout the company have been using foul language during the
course of normal conversation with their co-workers.

Due to complaints received from some employees who may be easily
offended, this type of language will be no longer been
tolerated.

We do however, realize the critical importance of being able to
accurately express your feelings when communicating with
co-workers. Therefore, a list of "TRY SAYING" new phrases has been
provided so that proper exchange of ideas and information can
continue in an effective manner.

1) TRY SAYING: I think you could use more training.
INSTEAD OF: You don't know what the f___ you're doing.

2) TRY SAYING: She's an aggressive go-getter.
INSTEAD OF: She's a ball-busting b*tch.

3) TRY SAYING: Perhaps I can work late.
INSTEAD OF: And when the f___ do you expect me to do this?

4) TRY SAYING: I'm certain that isn't feasible.
INSTEAD OF: No f______ way.

5) TRY SAYING: Really?
INSTEAD OF: You've got to be sh*tting me!

6) TRY SAYING: Perhaps! you should check with...
INSTEAD OF: Tell someone who gives a sh*t.

7) TRY SAYING: I wasn't involved in the project.
INSTEAD OF: It's not my f______ problem.

8) TRY SAYING: That's interesting.
INSTEAD OF: What the f___?

9) TRY SAYING: I'm not sure this can be implemented.
INSTEAD OF: This sh*t won't work.

10) TRY SAYING: I'll try to schedule that.
INSTEAD OF: Why the hell didn't you tell me sooner?

11) TRY SAYING: He's not familiar with the issues.
INSTEAD OF: He's got his head up his a__.

12) TRY SAYING: Excuse me, sir?
INSTEAD OF: Eat sh*t and die.

13) TRY SAYING: So you weren't happy with it?
INSTEAD OF: Kiss my a__.

14) TRY SAYING: I'm a bit overloaded at the moment.
INSTEAD OF: F___ it, I'm on salary.

15) TRY SAYING: I don't think you understand.
INSTEAD OF: Shove it up your a__.

16) TRY SAYING: I love a challenge.
INSTEAD OF: This job sucks.

17) TRY SAYING:You want me to take care of that?
INSTEAD OF: Who the hell died and made you boss?

18 ) TRY SAYING: He's somewhat insensitive.
INSTEAD OF: He's a pr*ck.

Thank You,

Human Resources