Quantcast

¿?¿?¿? Soon dry ¿?¿?¿?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Coffee made, breakfast had, going to make a Safeway stop to grab some donuts for Haley. Supposed to drop 25* and potentially rain today. Hard tires and slick track, which is Haley's bread and butter from K1 (assuming no rain at least).

:wave:

Insomnia is back.
I've come to talk with you again...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good morning, lovelies. Humid as a moist nutsack out there this morning. I jogged 8 miles. I'm running about a minute slower per mile than I normally do on account of my sore foot, but that's still better than being unable to run. Anyway, I'll probably spin the KICKR nice and easy later because it feels good on the legs.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
howdy all

going to give the new grass its first mowing as the patches that exist are getting long. advice varies, but the most legit one from I think Perdue's ag science dept said to mow early and often. little tugs on the roots inspire deeper growth, apparently.

apple picking later. then ski shopping and more moonlighting.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Thinking about heading to Brevard on the 23rd, then Douthat, Raystown, Coopers Gap, Birdsboro, Port Jervis, back on the 3rd.

Just thinking.
you'd enjoy checking out other areas of pisgah too. could conceivably show you around if you're so inclined. 23 september or october?

douthat, when i rode there probably 20 years ago, was a cool spot. there are also some nice trail systems in west virginia, and some worthwhile spots near harrisburg, va.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
25 September to 3 October. Very fluid at this point.
I’m down for a Pisgah trip. Way over due for a Pisgah epic. There’s a campground adjacent to the Pisgah Inn off the Blue Ridge Parkway that is almost always significantly cooler and cheaper than Davidson River. Would most definitely need a sweater and sleeping bag even if it’s in the 90s in the flats.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So up Bent Creek way?
Mt Pisgah Campground is between the Bent Creek area and Brevard. You would get there from, say for example, the Horse Stables after riding Black Mountain, by driving up 276 and taking a right on the Parkway. It’s a bit out of the way from the trailheads but is at much higher elevation and probably less populated than the more popular campgrounds.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Mt Pisgah Campground is between the Bent Creek area and Brevard. You would get there from, say for example, the Horse Stables after riding Black Mountain, by driving up 276 and taking a right on the Parkway. It’s a bit out of the way from the trailheads but is at much higher elevation and probably less populated than the more popular campgrounds.
Good place for sure. Probably already booked though. I would definitely check asap. They do allow a small number of spots first come first serve. This is the way I’ve done the past two years. Seeing as it’s only about 15 miles from my house I’ll just drive up on a morning and check. Things are crazy busy around here anymore. There is no real solitude in the woods. There is a killer loop from Inn all the way down to The Hub though.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I believe our dates are Oct 7-14. Probably staying in Asheville. Still working on finalizing plans.
holler at me, eh?
Good place for sure. Probably already booked though. I would definitely check asap. They do allow a small number of spots first come first serve. This is the way I’ve done the past two years. Seeing as it’s only about 15 miles from my house I’ll just drive up on a morning and check. Things are crazy busy around here anymore. There is no real solitude in the woods.
even grandfather is a bit blown up...but still a better bet for solitude. or coleman boundary. or painted rock?

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Been a year or two since Coleman. Was so overgrown last time I rode it. May have to try an again. I always say I’m gonna go, but never do.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I believe our dates are Oct 7-14. Probably staying in Asheville. Still working on finalizing plans.
if it is not sold out....old man rollins is doing a spoken word thing at the orange peel on the 9th of october.....

always a interesting hour and a half or so....

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
holler at me, eh?
You can count in it. Last time there wasn’t enough time or cell service to connect with RM folk, but I want to this trip for sure.

if it is not sold out....old man rollins is doing a spoken word thing at the orange peel on the 9th of october.....

always a interesting hour and a half or so....
Ooh, I am highly intredasted in this. I haven’t seen Hank do spoken word since… uh… maybe 1990? Pretty sure I was still in high school.

I'm still trying to figure out who has trash day on the weekend, wtf?
Same, girl. Same.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well today got interesting. Qualified 6th (of 14); 6th in the heat; 9th in the final - because she had three positions penalties for 'avoidable contact'. Best part? It was with a teammate.:banghead:

The kid (Austin) we were pitting next to is +/-.02 on a 1:05 track, so they are effectively the same speed. We and the coaches had been telling them all day, that in the final they need to work together until 3-4 laps from the end then they can race. Together (bump draft) they were fast enough to dust 5th (209) place within two laps, then close the gap with 3 & 4 from 20 karts down to 5 in 2 more laps. But Austin decided to pass in a highspeed corner which ran them both wide, letting 7th (209) past them both. At which point, it became a 1-1 battle for the next 10 laps.

It was really good racing to watch, but oh boy... at the scales Austin got 1 penalty for blocking, Haley got 2 for avoidable contact and 1 that wasn't noted (challenging is a $100 fee if you lose). And their karts were fucking hammered.

FDM owner (Greg) and the coach (Kyle) were not happy. They had us wait for almost 1:45 after racing for them to go over the race video. :popcorn: Some of the key phrases that stuck out to me:

- you two wasted an entire race fighting over 6th place and let the podium drive away from you.

- one of you should have been on the podium today, but instead of taking pictures we're here talking about why 6th place was so important that you let 5th place by again after you already passed him.

- [to Haley] I expect to see you leading these races and on the podium. You're better than 6th place. Yet you spent the whole time blocking Austin from taking it, that you both lost the race.

- [to Austin] you turn left better than Haley [he's from midgets/quarter track]; why didn't you wait until the last few laps when you'd caught the top-4 to pass her and the rest of the drivers ahead?

So yeah. 9th, instead of 6th where she finished because of penalties.
IMG_20230910_200519.jpg
IMG_20230910_200540.jpg

Last edited: