Quantcast

çççççç Tuesday ññññññ

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Woke up early with some sore muscles after some two days of riding. Just not in shape yet. So chilling out today. Todays job is getting the lawn mower robot up and running.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Still monday here in the New World. Getting the Land Cruiser washed and gassed up.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Work and work. More of the same.

Neighbor installed a boat lift at the end of his driveway recently. He neither owns nor intends to get a boat. Curious to see what this shall become.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
gonna be windy in the delta today, driving the metal Ford Sail should be interesting. I did just get a text from dispatch that my first and last transports of the day are canceled so now my shift is 8-3, might take the dogs for a hike after work.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
He is one of those guys who cannot withstand the siren song of free shit. He was practically salivating over all the rubble in the 30 yard dumpster we got after moving in.
my next door neighbor is sorta like that. he's had a used hot tub sitting in his garage disconnected since we bought our house 10 years ago. 2 car garage, i think the only times i've seen a single car park in it was during a blizzard. i've definitely seen him take stuff from our trash on the curb. i've also seen him take stuff back into the garage that his wife threw out.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
back pain, the saga continues. muscle relaxers helped last night. more ice and advil today. will add some light stretching.
If you can get Meloxicam, give it a try. Works really well for me when the back pain starts coming on. But you gotta take it before the pain gets too severe. If i don't get on it soon enough, I'll have to turn to the muscle relaxants too, but those things knock me on my ass, so I try and avoid them as much as possible.

Also, have a look at this guy: https://www.backfitpro.com/ There's tons of videos on YouTube about the "McGill big 3", which is the three basic exercises he recommends you do to properly strengthen the back. As with everything on YT, there's a ton of bad advice out there, so look for the ones that focus on form, and alternatives that allow you to build up to the main ones if you're not ready for them. (the big three are the bird-dog, curl-up, and side-planks). A friend of mine went to see a physio that uses Dr McGill's protocol/process and said it was transformative. There aren't any registered physios or chiros in my town, but I'm thinking of heading to the Montreal area to see one of his "master clinicians" to see if they can help.

My routine now involves cat-camels, the big-three, and goblet squats with 24lbs (thinking of going up to 30lbs or so). I try and do three sets, and do them only 3-4x/week. With that routine, i've been able to keep my pain under control. Of course, that's what seems to work best for me, and it may take some exploring to find the exercises that work for you, but overall I've seen a huge improvement with that routine.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Just found out that I'm being put onto an RFP for a new plan. Apparently it's a STEM heavy Colorado school and I'm being added as the advisor "due to my extremely analytical personality and ability to interact well with engineers". They also like that my degree says UC Berkeley as part of the 'this is your advisor' - we just won't mention that it's in Anthropology.

Almost finished 1 of 8 segments to the CFP presentation last night. It's fucking dense, but I'm getting into the math today, so that should speed things up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you can get Meloxicam, give it a try. Works really well for me when the back pain starts coming on. But you gotta take it before the pain gets too severe. If i don't get on it soon enough, I'll have to turn to the muscle relaxants too, but those things knock me on my ass, so I try and avoid them as much as possible.

Also, have a look at this guy: https://www.backfitpro.com/ There's tons of videos on YouTube about the "McGill big 3", which is the three basic exercises he recommends you do to properly strengthen the back. As with everything on YT, there's a ton of bad advice out there, so look for the ones that focus on form, and alternatives that allow you to build up to the main ones if you're not ready for them. (the big three are the bird-dog, curl-up, and side-planks). A friend of mine went to see a physio that uses Dr McGill's protocol/process and said it was transformative. There aren't any registered physios or chiros in my town, but I'm thinking of heading to the Montreal area to see one of his "master clinicians" to see if they can help.

My routine now involves cat-camels, the big-three, and goblet squats with 24lbs (thinking of going up to 30lbs or so). I try and do three sets, and do them only 3-4x/week. With that routine, i've been able to keep my pain under control. Of course, that's what seems to work best for me, and it may take some exploring to find the exercises that work for you, but overall I've seen a huge improvement with that routine.
thanks for the input, i've been down this road before. i don't have a good response to meloxicam. prednisone helps but i can only take that for a few days, same with the cyclobenzaprine (which i only take at night). i know the stretches i need to do, and just patience. the long and short of it is i've just been lazy and not maintaining, then got overzealous with some house projects then went riding.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
thanks for the input, i've been down this road before. i don't have a good response to meloxicam. prednisone helps but i can only take that for a few days, same with the cyclobenzaprine (which i only take at night). i know the stretches i need to do, and just patience. the long and short of it is i've just been lazy and not maintaining, then got overzealous with some house projects then went riding.
haha, that's exactly what happened to me once the snow finally got good in mid-January. I went bezerk, and went out hard 6 nights in a row (skate skiing, fatbiking, dh skiing, back-country skiing). And my back said "fuck that", and I wound up in the hospital with crippling pain. took me a long time to recover from that. I guess it's about finding the right balance (between activity and rest)... good luck finding your solution... it's such a shitty process....

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
more rain and windy crap today. ugh. not terrible, but just enough that i'm saying no to riding. instead will do more garden stuff once it warms up a smidge more. coffee/poop/DSO walking (they were not enthusiastic) done already. do some laundry. screw around with bikes in the attached-to-house one-car bong shed. roasting some veggies later for black bean burgers/tacos.

/sweetblog

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
haha, that's exactly what happened to me once the snow finally got good in mid-January. I went bezerk, and went out hard 6 nights in a row (skate skiing, fatbiking, dh skiing, back-country skiing). And my back said "fuck that", and I wound up in the hospital with crippling pain. took me a long time to recover from that. I guess it's about finding the right balance (between activity and rest)... good luck finding your solution... it's such a shitty process....
honestly my biggest problem is that i haven't been maintaining my core strength and i packed on about 10lbs over the winter.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Wifey's Tax D-Day. Have to bring her office something fun around mid day, but I don't know what.
Then we go out to a fancy-schmancy Jackson Restaurant, because 2 for 1 season just started. (1 full price entree, second for $2.00)
It's cool, the biggest local restaurant group does it just to keep the staff working during off season, and donates the $2.00 (and contributions/tips above the servers tips) to the local food bank.

Last edited:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Morning all.
Came home to a gas leak at our dryer connection last night. Fortunately it was after the shutoff valve, so emergency averted, but no dryer use for a few days until I can get it fixed.

Weather was unseasonably nice last week, but has gone back to the normal unpredictably blah for this week. Can weather be predictably unpredictable? Welcome to the northeast in April I suppose. I may run to the LBS on my lunch break, but that's likely to be all the bike fun I get for today.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
nobody, ever.
I've done that for 5 months, eventually the rope runs out.

Plus as much as I'd like to sit here and twiddle my thumbs while getting paid, thats really boring.

And I've heard things through the grapevine. Just waiting for that call from leadership so I can spill the beans of my nonconfidence. :disgust1: