Quantcast

€€€€ Tuesday GTM €€€€

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Present, sun burned, tired, and sore, did nothing of interest for the 4th. Realized I have not even seen a 4th of July firework since 2015, I need to Murica a bit harder next year.

DMV is gonna bend me over to the tune of $664 to register it this year. effiing commercial weight fees.
I'd have sent them an extra $2 just to make it and even $666. A friend of mine fucked up and got a "really good deal" on an f450 when what he needed was an f250, registrations was un-cheap, very un-cheap.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
yesterday

famous daves bbq has the worst fucking bbq...

waitress was coming back to ask me how my sandwich was as i was spitting it out....

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
:wave:

The Meh is strong today. Probably should have brought a bike to ride after work, but weather is predicted to be bad, and I'm having enthusiasm issues.
yesterday

famous daves bbq has the worst fucking bbq...

waitress was coming back to ask me how my sandwich was as i was spitting it out....
I know the guy who used to be the CEO and went there when I was in Minneapolis and tried it when I was in Minneapolis. Can only agree it was not good. Dave is clearly not famous for BBQ.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The shaken system ("shah ken", short for 自動車検査登録制度 ) leads to a tip top shape Japanese vehicle fleet. And it also leads to many ~10 year old formerly Japanese market cars then showing up in New Zealand for a second life after shaken becomes too much of a burden. @Changleen @DaveW back me up here.

Yes, ‘dumping’ of older 2nd hand vehicles especially from Japan has been an issue in the past. It has meant NZ has an older than average fleet but there has been regulation in the last few years to reduce this, and it’s not so bad now.
We have a medium strength MOT (called WOF) process here, much more rigorous than US but not a Swiss or Japanese strength.

Some people don’t like anti-dumping though as prices have increased, however it is still true that it is possible to buy pretty damn cheap relatively good quality vehicles here. Not totally sure this is a good thing but it means at least that socially disadvantaged people can afford a relatively safe and efficient vehicle. The problem now is too many cars.
However bigger cities are pushing hard on the urbanisation pathway now which is great. ‘The 15 minute city’ cometh one hopes. Auckland just finished major waterfront redevelopment and Queen St. is to be pedestrianised, and Wellington’s Golden Mile is also going car free in 2022 I think.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Auckland just finished major waterfront redevelopment and Queen St. is to be pedestrianised, and Wellington’s Golden Mile is also going car free in 2022 I think.
You guys have all of the nice things

but here I make way more than I would in NZ so Colorado it is!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Money is not everything. I’m pretty sure you’d be fairly well-off here too; the trouble would be affording your first house. You think US house price inflation is bad. We’re all paper millionaires here now — well those of us who own anyway…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Money is not everything. I’m pretty sure you’d be fairly well-off here too; the trouble would be affording your first house. You think US house price inflation is bad. We’re all paper millionaires here now — well those of us who own anyway…
I still have student loans. It's all baked into this system.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
If you came here you could simply stop paying them. :brows: Depending how much you wanted to keep your options open anyway…

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
20210706_154517.jpg

according to car.....

annnnnnd.....yesterday....

20210706_154335.jpg

not sure if it was bird or jack rabbit....something just went thump and went over the front of the car....

fuck desert driving...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
note to self.....no more motel 6

20210706_160406.jpg

about 8 cars in the lot....

not checking in anytime soon...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It's not that Motel 6 is the issue. It's the Motel 6's that are <$100/night that are the issue...
so how much should a room cost that you have the use of for 20 hours....it just having a bed...tv...bathroom....more than $100...?

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
so how much should a room cost that you have the use of for 20 hours....it just having a bed...tv...bathroom....more than $100...?
Usually to be confirmed clean, major name (because corporate demands to protect name), and too expensive for day-day living. That clocks in around $100-125/night at the bottom of the range, location dependent of course. It will tend to go up based on location, not down.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well fuck me. We were just having a wild rain storm and Wifey comes to tell me there's a rain drop inside. (She had a shitbox day today and is a few glasses of wine in, so I did not tell her we call that a leak.) Looks like all the silicon on the top of the window frame has failed, so water is just draining down into it. Managed to get a few pieces of duct tape laid over so that the water is sheening over, but I now have an immediate problem to deal with. Good thing I'm not busy tomorrow or Thursday, before I leave for 10-days to TN... Guess it's off to HD tomorrow to get some silicone for a temporary repair and to get a window person out.

As for how? I'd assume when she lit the grill on fire last summer it might have damaged the silicone and we're just now seeing the repercussions.