Quantcast

□■Middle of the meh□■

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Had a meh morning working with German junk but got to work on removing a little Isuzu diesel engine this arv and that was fun, hooray for the Japanese and putting thought in to serviceability.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
yesterdays storm mostly tracked south of us and with the exception of 3-4 hours of nasty wind it was mostly a non event. Need to start stocking up the camper for a 2 day medical standby gig, leaving Frida afternoon.

Espresso is kicking in nicely this morning

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Taxes done. Went from owing $5k to getting $12k thanks to solar panels.

Up early, so studying until everyone wakes up.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Taxes. . . Ya need to work on that.
Didn’t get up as early as I should have. Oh well sleep is good too.

Busy day, doubtful I’ll get everything done today that needs to be.

@johnbryanpeters that will be quite an adjustment to your daily life. Hopefully it gets easier as time passes.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Taxes done. Went from owing $5k to getting $12k thanks to solar panels.

Up early, so studying until everyone wakes up.
I need to find some money for solar, I think there's 30% incentive from the IR Act based on the link @Changleen posted a couple of days ago...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I need to find some money for solar, I think there's 30% incentive from the IR Act based on the link @Changleen posted a couple of days ago...
I did the long math on it and ended up with a super low rate, long-term loan - 25yr@1.9%. I ended up with a fixed $140/m cost, but when I look at the saved growth on my principal vs. a 5- or 7-yr loan or large payment, it made absolute sense. Plus, if we end up moving, we get all of the initial home appreciation with none of the loss to investment capital growth (you need years to break even if you're not leveraging). And with the Xcel price increases this year alone, we're already ahead of the first 3yrs I had assumed for energy inflation, so we're break even monthly from where we were before. The whole thing makes absolute sense.

Sunrun was an absolute pain in my ass, but the super discounted price through Costco is really hard to argue though. I did shop around a ton still before I got to that one and ended up negotiating a low rate with them, because that wasn't one of the term/rate combos that had initially offered.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

I woke thinking it was Tuesday. I feel better knowing it's Wednesday, but now I'm concerned where Tuesday went. Payday is Friday, that's all that matters.

Trying to explain to the wife how "my" check (the portion of it I see) has been reduced $100 a check because of the new pay schedule. I get a fixed $1200 out of my check, she gets the bulk. Because I'm now paid twice a month vs twice a week, I now get 2 less checks. She just knows "her" check has gone way up because no 401k for 90 days, a small bump up from last gig, and the new 16 day cycle. It's not major, it's just $200 less I have to spend on crap. But it's an adjustment. My hope is that extra is going into savings and not to Amazon. :rofl:

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
Cleaning out from a past life - emptying the liquor cabinet - there's a whole room in the basement with unopened stuff that's also going to go:

View attachment 191654
bye bye booze!

currently doing the Mass backhoe license course so I can get a temporary permit. Dad wants to dig trenches in the garden and we are renting a piece of equipment.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Anybody selling a med, modern geometry trail bike in good condition for around $3000 dollars? Buddy's son is diving head into riding and he's looking to get him onto a bike. I'm helping them go through all the gear he needs to get, but it's hard to get him set up on a used bike when he's in SF and I'm here, and I can't do a check over of the bike or repairs when he gets it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I did the long math on it and ended up with a super low rate, long-term loan - 25yr@1.9%. I ended up with a fixed $140/m cost, but when I look at the saved growth on my principal vs. a 5- or 7-yr loan or large payment, it made absolute sense. Plus, if we end up moving, we get all of the initial home appreciation with none of the loss to investment capital growth (you need years to break even if you're not leveraging). And with the Xcel price increases this year alone, we're already ahead of the first 3yrs I had assumed for energy inflation, so we're break even monthly from where we were before. The whole thing makes absolute sense.

Sunrun was an absolute pain in my ass, but the super discounted price through Costco is really hard to argue though. I did shop around a ton still before I got to that one and ended up negotiating a low rate with them, because that wasn't one of the term/rate combos that had initially offered.
Man, I wish that making sense of solar panels didn't require a finance degree and years of research. Would love to get them on the roof, but having to create several spreadsheets just to figure out if it's a solid investment isn't worth it for me.

Tax-wise, my wife added some extra withholding so we no longer owe 5k ourselves. She is smrt.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Tax-wise, my wife added some extra withholding so we no longer owe 5k ourselves. She is smrt.
Not sure if that means there's another mini-sandwich just become a dependent or not...

Edit: also what cranks did you accidentally?

:D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not sure if that means there's another mini-sandwich just become a dependent or not...

Edit: also what cranks did you accidentally?

:D
no mini sandwich, she just added additional withholding to her paycheck. Could be the same in the end, but not having a large lump sum owed is nice.

cranks; I got 105 5 arms. They will fit my chainring based power meter and the shimano bb86 works perfectly and will fit my frame. I was tempted to buy more weird shit from china, but boy do shimano cranks just work.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning. Working on site today and have so much shit going on that I don't know who to answer or what to work on first. So, popping into the GMT and bitching about it seems like a good place to start.

Re: solar, we had a consultation and got a quote. It's not worth it for us financially to make that change.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Did the budget exercise last night with the wife. She was not pleased with the outcome. Easier than explaining why we don't have the money to drop $10K willy nilly on house stuff this year though.

You have to get a license to rent a piece of machinery? That’s wild.
In theory, you need to have a license to operate the machinery. Some places are stricter than others about proving a licensed operator will be the one operating before they'll rent it to you.

slept great and woke up without a care in the world!

Fuck.
fuck-jon-stewart.gif

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We have not done taxes, the W2's are buried on the table somewhere. The wife took a few days off next week and it's on the to do list. She also claims she will get the spare room organized so she can move her office. I'm not holding my breath.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Re: solar, we had a consultation and got a quote. It's not worth it for us financially to make that change.
Probably the same four us, with just the two of us we use very little utilities.

But I like the idea of not relying on the grid given the few outages we have each year. Plus future ev charging and a desire to move away from our gas cooker and heating.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Coffee. No rain at the moment, but there's a little in the forecast for this evening - Southern Sierra snowpack is currently around 282% of average. Carotid ultrasound this afternoon, should be fun.

Speaking of taxes; we received our refund crazy quickly this year - less than 2 weeks from filing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
just signed up to do the Bike MS Charity ride again. this year i'm gonna do the 100 mile route. last year a number of monkeys donated, which is much appreciated (all donations go to to the MS Society). link is in my sig if anyone would like to donate this year.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
You have to get a license to rent a piece of machinery? That’s wild.
Mass requires a license for certain types of machinery. California does not appear to (though I never rented anything on the larger side). In Mass the licensing appears to be focused on machines that can lift heavy objects and machines that dig. Training consisted of
  • watch a video about 811 (dig safe) - approx 10 minutes
  • read (or skim) a bunch of legalese - approx 3 minutes
  • read (or skim) about various safe operating practices for the type of machine you are renting (in my case a tractor with a loader bucket and a backhoe) - approx 10 minutes
  • 10 question quiz that felt very easy - approx 2 minutes
cost me less than 30 minutes and $25 fee

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Man, I wish that making sense of solar panels didn't require a finance degree and years of research. Would love to get them on the roof, but having to create several spreadsheets just to figure out if it's a solid investment isn't worth it for me.

Get a bunch of estimates. I'll help with the projections. Tesla tend to be the least efficient since you have to front the principle that should be getting invested.