Quantcast

◇◇◇ it's Thursday, slackers! ◇◇◇

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
installed a new BB in the road bike then spent some time adjusting the the front derailleur. freaking drive train is now silent and the shifting is nice and crisp ( new chain and rear cassette and rear hub bearings installed a few weeks ago). Tonight i have a date to wrench on the mt bike.

Coffee is melting my mug..so good

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Today is the only sunny day of the week. Been quite grey and rainy for the last week and more in store for the weekend. So I also have my bike in my truck and will ride it in the woods after I earn my keep for the day.

I did bring a nice Ham and Cheddar sandwich for lunch.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Great ride last night. I was expecting two other guys to show up, but we had eight out there on the trails.

And now for epic amounts of rain...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

For the most part I have had pretty good luck with the crap I get off ebay. But the last couple things I have either bought or tried to buy have been a bit of a mess. Twice now an item I have bought and paid for was "not found" after auction close. One couldn't be found, the other was "no longer in inventory" and that leads me to wonder how you can offer something for sale you wither don't actually have, or don't know for sure if you have it? Another item only sort of half works (was a charger and 2 batteries, one battery doesn't change) that the seller gave me half a refund and keep the one that works. Not bad, but I am still in need of a battery. But now the latest, item not as described.

When you say an item is "not as described", that is pretty open for interpretation, But the whole reason I bought the item (Motion Plus built in) isn't. So while the item looks like the right one, it doesn't have all the features it lists and is missing the ONLY feature I bought it for (Motion Plus). The seller first says sorry, please keep and I can give you back $5 of the $25 you gave me. Problem is I paid $25 and can't use the item. So keeping it does me no good and losing $20 does me even less. Now the offer is for half what I paid with a sob story about how the ad was incorrect and they only make a small profit on each item sold plus they paid for shipping, blah, blah, blah.

Looking at the auction, 43 of these have been sold. Either I was shipped the wrong one, or they are selling these for $25, then offering $5 refunds to unload a bunch of old remotes nobody would otherwise buy. This looks a lot more like a scam than an "oops, sorry" to me.

/ebayrant

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Morning Monkeys.

For the most part I have had pretty good luck with the crap I get off ebay. But the last couple things I have either bought or tried to buy have been a bit of a mess. Twice now an item I have bought and paid for was "not found" after auction close. One couldn't be found, the other was "no longer in inventory" and that leads me to wonder how you can offer something for sale you wither don't actually have, or don't know for sure if you have it? Another item only sort of half works (was a charger and 2 batteries, one battery doesn't change) that the seller gave me half a refund and keep the one that works. Not bad, but I am still in need of a battery. But now the latest, item not as described.

When you say an item is "not as described", that is pretty open for interpretation, But the whole reason I bought the item (Motion Plus built in) isn't. So while the item looks like the right one, it doesn't have all the features it lists and is missing the ONLY feature I bought it for (Motion Plus). The seller first says sorry, please keep and I can give you back $5 of the $25 you gave me. Problem is I paid $25 and can't use the item. So keeping it does me no good and losing $20 does me even less. Now the offer is for half what I paid with a sob story about how the ad was incorrect and they only make a small profit on each item sold plus they paid for shipping, blah, blah, blah.

Looking at the auction, 43 of these have been sold. Either I was shipped the wrong one, or they are selling these for $25, then offering $5 refunds to unload a bunch of old remotes nobody would otherwise buy. This looks a lot more like a scam than an "oops, sorry" to me.

/ebayrant
Kill list?

Hi @Nick :wave:

It's payday and I brought my bike and intend to ride for the first time in weeks. Things are looking up!
Where you thinking of riding and what time?

edit:
Frame for sale and someone on Craigslist wants to pay via paypal.
My delivery man will be coming to pick it up once the funds clears so kindly get back to me with your paypal email for the transfer asap
KILL LIST

Tempted to take their transfer and then give them the local PD/Sheriff address or send them miles up into the mountains on a wild goose chase.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
edit:
Frame for sale and someone on Craigslist wants to pay via paypal.

KILL LIST

Tempted to take their transfer and then give them the local PD/Sheriff address or send them miles up into the mountains on a wild goose chase.
I do like to pay via PayPal when possible because o the protections it affords me and have had more good experiences than bad. But claiming you have "a delivery man" seems sketch. Or maybe they are just friends with @Uncle Cliffy . :rofl:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
soundgarden opened with incessant mace/all your lies....played about 2.5 hours...maybe one year they will bust out nazi driver...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Morning. Sore after yesterday's riding then yard work. Was going to hike today but my buddy bailed. So off to the Home Depot to pick up lumber and start digging holes for a fence..... Cause you know, my back doesn't hurt bad enough

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Slacker?? I still have to finish cleaning/clearing stuff taken out of bedroom when I painted it, pack for vacation/wedding trip this weekend (wife wants to make rehearsal dinner at 6:30 tomorrow night, in Burbank, and leave the house about 10-ish. I say we leave by 7. Which of us is right????), arrange for dogs to be fed while gone, get photo printed of granddaughters for my grandma, get swamp cooler up and running, and if I'm lucky, finally figure out why bathroom outlet does not work after swapping it out for a new one.

AAANNNDDDD, get a good ride in........

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning. Crazy week here! Spring Concert for my 7-12 band students, and now I am working on Prom (which is this weekend) and Syd has her chorus concert tonight. At some point I would love to ride my bike, but it isn't looking likely with the monsoon that is approaching. This morning I got a flat....actually big hole in my tire so I had to nurse it back to my house (I wasn't far away....less than a half mile I think) and get that changed, but I decided to take the whole day off anyway (could probably have just taken a couple hours this morning but whatever). Mental health day will be a nice relief from the concert & prom craziness.

Still on the hunt for a new job and the prospects in my area are slim right now. There will be openings in the next 2-5 years as all of the other band directors are nearing retirement, but that doesn't pay the bills now either. We shall see!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I love me some unagi-donburi.

White Ranch today, lower lot at 10:15 for anyone available. One of my co-workers wanted to ride and has to be downtown by 1 so a short loop is in order.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. I've decided that I am going to pillage Wifey's bike for parts for get the HT running. She rode it twice last summer on the bike path. I might just get her a beach cruiser and sell off the Yeti frame. I don't think it's worth keeping at this point if she doesn't use it (and likely never will for anything beyond bike path).

@jonKranked 's box of chiles is going off today, finally.

Apparently RS won't cover the warranty on my post, as the original post purchased was an '02. Even though it's now gone through multiple replacements. The rebuild cost will be over $100, so I'm deciding whether to fix it and move on or just pay it and continue. Given it has a mid-season failure rate, I doubt it will survive long in my household.

Any CO monkey's have headset tools (press, race hammer, extraction pipe-thingey)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here. I've decided that I am going to pillage Wifey's bike for parts for get the HT running. She rode it twice last summer on the bike path. I might just get her a beach cruiser and sell off the Yeti frame. I don't think it's worth keeping at this point if she doesn't use it (and likely never will for anything beyond bike path).
Might be interested in it for Jessica. She's 5' 4.5" last I checked—appropriate size?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
does anyone remember how to get square taper spindles to stop creaking? My "new" commuter (I got it last october) has them, and I pretty much have to snug up the bolts every other ride to keep it quiet. Is it simply a question of putting loctite on the bolt threads? It's getting ridiculous. fucking square taper bottom brackets.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
does anyone remember how to get square taper spindles to stop creaking? My "new" commuter (I got it last october) has them, and I pretty much have to snug up the bolts every other ride to keep it quiet. Is it simply a question of putting loctite on the bolt threads? It's getting ridiculous. fucking square taper bottom brackets.
Replace with something not square taper. If single ring an Alfine crankset with BB is something like $80.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

First day out of the last 4 I haven't woken up hurting. I guess the last of the weather is behind us for a while? Anyway, shit do do around the house. Maybe ought to do something outside, it's a beautiful morning.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Any CO monkey's have headset tools (press, race hammer, extraction pipe-thingey)
Welcome to swing by (up?) and perform whatever surgery needs performing.

edit: Wife likes Holidaily IPA's or Omission IPA. ;)

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

I'd grease the crank/spindle interface, that's what likely creaks. Or the bearings do.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Semi-quiet day except the pooch thinks WFH means full time entertainment. I guess it could be worse, I could have an annoying little rat dog that yelps all the time. Instead I have a 66lb "lap dog" that doesn't like seeing the laptop get all the attention, or all the lap.

#firstworldproblems

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Might be interested in it for Jessica. She's 5' 4.5" last I checked—appropriate size?
It would probably work for her. Wifey is 5'6" and it's a tiny bit small for her. I can bring it on our next ride for you so that she can take it for a few rides. I don't have a picture of it, but it's this one

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Dab of grease on the axle too.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Replace with something not square taper. If single ring an Alfine crankset with BB is something like $80.

I'd grease the crank/spindle interface, that's what likely creaks. Or the bearings do.
Dab of grease on the axle too.
thanks guys. I'll try the grease on the axle thing first, and loctite the threads on the bolts. I'll also dig through the spare parts bin to find my old Hone crankset... it's so annoying to have to do this for a new bike. :monkey:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's a pretty fancy bike to ride on the bike path twice a year. :monkey:
She used to ride it on trails. She just had a kid and decided she didn't want to anymore. I took her to Green Mtn once and she wasn't having it, even around the lower base trail. I doubt Backcountry would be "acceptable" either.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
She used to ride it on trails. She just had a kid and decided she didn't want to anymore. I took her to Green Mtn once and she wasn't having it, even around the lower base trail. I doubt Backcountry would be "acceptable" either.
I took my wife to Green Mt decades ago... that was a mistake. She now mostly just rides with friends. :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife had a paved path comfort bike when I met her and I had no expectations for that to change. But she doesn't even ride that one much, mostly because she fails ti understand the gears. So I will likely get her a beach cruiser next because she enjoyed the one she rode on vacation and that bike was a turd.