Quantcast

◇◇ Saturday MT ◇◇

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Whatever Giant paints with is damn neat indestructible. I'm two coats into paint remover and only the joints have given in. The Trek gave up almost entirely after the first coat.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had not attended the hot sauce expo in Portland because I was afraid it was like some other "festivals" here that seem good on paper, but fail in execution (see Taco Fest as example). I was wrong.

Lots of amazing flavors and cool folks. The 3 food trucks were pretty sad compared to what is here in town, but I spent a lot more than I thought I would on sauces

IMG_20190817_152849.jpg

The doubles are in the back. :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Keystone or Trestle?

May I join you guys next time? I've been trail riding all year, haven't been to the park yet!!
Heck yeah. Today was Trestle and despite the huge number of rental people trying to kill you when you came across them standing in the middle of the trail while doing mach chicken or dropping down something steep...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Heck yeah. Today was Trestle and despite the huge number of rental people trying to kill you when you came across them standing in the middle of the trail while doing mach chicken or dropping down something steep...
Downhill you say? I think I should try this ...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Do you pedal or fork up for the shuttle to the top?
We’ve always had two vehicles but I’d trade my firstborn before pedaling up that road. On a busy day I’m sure you could get a free lift up.

There’s a new area of trails beyond the pump track, can’t remember the name. Pedal up and a bunch of fun down options. Rode that in downpour last year and it ran well in the rain.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Having spirited debate this evening with Wifey about Haley's participation in the Winter Park All-Terrain Devo program this year. She wants to get Haley into a sport, but Haley has also shown zero interest in any other sport (climbing and bike more than anything else summer), but keeps asking when ski season starts again and if she is doing the Devo program.

She's very timid and doesn't want her to get hurt, due to the end results of my hurting myself over the years. I argue she's more likely to get hurt worse later by learning bad habits and skills now. Plus, the likelihood of her getting to the level where I was, where the consequences of a crash were that high, are probably pretty low. She just says "she's not going to the Olympics. Why not just have family ski days?" Because you're too slow and won't ski anything over green, while we're working on blue/black and I can't teach the anything else...

Anybody ever have this kind of split regarding kid's sports before? How'd you sort it out? She'll disregard Haley's opinion on age, so that won't work.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Having spirited debate this evening with Wifey about Haley's participation in the Winter Park All-Terrain Devo program this year. She wants to get Haley into a sport, but Haley has also shown zero interest in any other sport (climbing and bike more than anything else summer), but keeps asking when ski season starts again and if she is doing the Devo program.

She's very timid and doesn't want her to get hurt, due to the end results of my hurting myself over the years. I argue she's more likely to get hurt worse later by learning bad habits and skills now. Plus, the likelihood of her getting to the level where I was, where the consequences of a crash were that high, are probably pretty low. She just says "she's not going to the Olympics. Why not just have family ski days?" Because you're too slow and won't ski anything over green, while we're working on blue/black and I can't teach the anything else...

Anybody ever have this kind of split regarding kid's sports before? How'd you sort it out? She'll disregard Haley's opinion on age, so that won't work.
Ah the you are too young and inexperienced and I'm the mommy and I say so, bullshit argument. Blow off any recognition that the kid might be capable of rational cognitive thought. My mom pulled that shit all the time. It's the main reason I didn't talk to her for 25 years after I moved out

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@stoney - best advice i can give in this situation is for you to say: listen to what the kid is passionate about and let her follow it however far she wants. and of course, if you're backing it, say you'll take her to all lessons, events, etc.

finally got brakes re-dialed on new front wheel. tire wasn't holding air well so i added more sealant and reinflated and shook. if still grumpy tomorrow will hit it with the compressor to make sure bead is fully seated. interested to try new fork tomorrow on goof-around ride with vinnycactus.

oh...and i may have just bought a new rear shock...DAMMIT BEER.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@stoney - best advice i can give in this situation is for you to say: listen to what the kid is passionate about and let her follow it however far she wants. and of course, if you're backing it, say you'll take her to all lessons, events, etc.
I think this is part of the problem. She doesn't enjoy skiing as much as we do and it's a full day every weekend from beginning of Nov-March. But that's less than swim or soccer when you add up all the practices and games, so...

Something, something, who's watching kid 2? Can't say "this is exactly why I told you to think real hard about whether you wanted another, because you just reset yourself backwards 6 years". That's a surefire way to get into sleep in the guest bedroom for weeks shit.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I think this is part of the problem. She doesn't enjoy skiing as much as we do and it's a full day every weekend from beginning of Nov-March. But that's less than swim or soccer when you add up all the practices and games, so...

Something, something, who's watching kid 2? Can't say "this is exactly why I told you to think real hard about whether you wanted another, because you just reset yourself backwards 6 years". That's a surefire way to get into sleep in the guest bedroom for weeks shit.
yeah...kid 2. what is she (wife) doing? wanting to ski? if not, maybe this is time for her to find something cool to do with/have bonding time with kid 2 at home. if so, offer to hang with kid 1 at the lodge while she skis. we've found that "divide and conquer" is a useful and typically good thing to do with our kids. question: when she'd be doing the ski program, are you skiing too? or could you occasionally hang with kid 2 while kid 1 skis?

also @eric strt6 - sorry man-hang in there. sounds like you're ok with how it's winding down, and like he had a good run. everyone should be so lucky.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
She's not a skier, which doesn't help. She's got her pass for this year though, which does help. While Haley's skiing, I'll be skiing with Wifey, and other friends who are up there. MIL should be in CO by then, so she'll get Hannah on a lot of the days we go up, which she's already volunteered for.

On a side note, I just found a parter on the M board and got all of the parts I need, code tested before removal, from low mileage cars, for 25% of new px. Fuck. Yeah. He's a regular on the board, so established and known for good stuff. I still need to sort the cat out, but I might just do a Magnaflow pair and call it a day. It doesn't need to be CA legal for me, so I don't care.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@stoney one of my co-workers had his two kids in the Devo program last winter. They loved it and progressed a lot per him. His kids are a wee bit older, though.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

Maybe pick up a M5 wagon to show that you're a family man.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We’ve always had two vehicles but I’d trade my firstborn before pedaling up that road. On a busy day I’m sure you could get a free lift up.

There’s a new area of trails beyond the pump track, can’t remember the name. Pedal up and a bunch of fun down options. Rode that in downpour last year and it ran well in the rain.
Well easy decision here, the road and summit trails are closed for some sort of private event. Car race?

Will check out those other trails. Apparently some others near the campground are closed too.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I had not attended the hot sauce expo in Portland because I was afraid it was like some other "festivals" here that seem good on paper, but fail in execution (see Taco Fest as example). I was wrong.

Lots of amazing flavors and cool folks. The 3 food trucks were pretty sad compared to what is here in town, but I spent a lot more than I thought I would on sauces

View attachment 136416

The doubles are in the back. :rofl:
Secret Aardvark... I've only had the regular habanero stuff, but it's so good. My bottle is almost empty, unfortunately.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Secret Aardvark... I've only had the regular habanero stuff, but it's so good. My bottle is almost empty, unfortunately.
They are local, but I had not seen the jerk sauces and the wife dug the black bean, so we got 3 bottles of that.

They now make the OG in a large jug.