Quantcast

☆☆☆●●●¿¿it is shaturday¿¿●●●☆☆☆

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
We rode from Turkey Pen, up to Laurel, across Laurel, down Pilot and were supposed to continue back to Turkey Pen, but we rode the highway back into Brevard due to the stupid sun setting. Coming down the road at speed was wild.
Talked to one of the locals I rode with last trip and he told me about a route that includes Laurel, Pilot, Squirrel from Horse Cove, and Bradley Creek rd. (not the trail with a gazillion river crossings) back to Laurel parking lot that takes five hours or so. I think it would take me a wee bit longer than five.

Heal up, com'on down and we can get a group together for some Pisgah stupidity. I recommend Farlow because who doesn't like being violently flung down a near vertical boulder field after a demoralizing two hour gravel climb, then twenty minutes of doubletrack, that makes you question why the fuck do you ride a god damn bike in the first place.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
How do you start the inner loop, from Pilot Rock trail or down 1206 a ways ?
inthink you finish pilot, and it's on your left (there may be two options within the inner loop).
i highly recommend the avenza maps app, then buy the pisgah ranger district map (pisgah proper) and the grandfather east district (wilsons)- both are marked with trails and show you where you are in real time.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
inthink you finish pilot, and it's on your left (there may be two options within the inner loop).
i highly recommend the avenza maps app, then buy the pisgah ranger district map (pisgah proper) and the grandfather east district (wilsons)- both are marked with trails and show you where you are in real time.
Doubly suggest those maps. They came in handy in conjunction with the paper ones.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
inthink (?) you finish pilot, and it's on your left (there may be two options within the inner loop).
One of the guys that I rode Farlow with reminded me of the map. I tried to set up an account and download the map but the confirmation email they sent me didn't get to me until I was back from my trip. But I have the Pisgah Map Co. Ranger District map nao.

There's an odd sense of comfort being able to walk around with a map of Pisgah in my shorts.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Talked to one of the locals I rode with last trip and he told me about a route that includes Laurel, Pilot, Squirrel from Horse Cove, and Bradley Creek rd. (not the trail with a gazillion river crossings) back to Laurel parking lot that takes five hours or so. I think it would take me a wee bit longer than five.

Heal up, com'on down and we can get a group together for some Pisgah stupidity. I recommend Farlow because who doesn't like being violently flung down a near vertical boulder field after a demoralizing two hour gravel climb, then twenty minutes of doubletrack, that makes you question why the fuck do you ride a god damn bike in the first place.
True description of Farlow. And yeah, NC monkies and whomever we should plan a "demoralizing ride" up Farlow

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
True description of Farlow. And yeah, NC monkies and whomever we should plan a "demoralizing ride" up Farlow
My next time on Farlow I'm going to treat the upper section like DH practice. A little course walking and studying lines couldn't hurt. Back when I was racing and 229 was not gated off, we did countless runs down that trail. But it has changed so drastically since then, that in a lot of spots it's completely new to me. And for as much as you have to work just to get to the trailhead now, why not hike back up and have at the first/upper section a few times ? Hell even the root cluster at the bottom could be sessioned. I barely had enough speed to pop off the 3-4 ft root drop and still nosed in. Never even saw the burly roll down to the right until I stopped and looked back up. Not going to lie, that one scared me a bit.

Never saw this guy's line, and the drop (rider's left) is now steep and lands on some greasy red clay.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Made some adjustments to my bike setup during the week. Hit my regular trails and pretty much PRd every descent I hit. Safe to say I think the changes were in the right direction.