Quantcast

✈✈✈ The missing holiday GMT ✈✈✈

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have yet to work for a company that recognizes the MLK day. Happy MLK day!

I am gonna try to buy a Dunwich DA120 today, only a few pieces will be for sale and the list of buyers will be long... /coolstorybro

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My company recognizes the MLK holiday and it's a day off, but here I am working anyway. I don't mind...it's quiet here and I save the PTO day. I won't be working much beyond noon.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Working too, from a field that built it's premise off of MLK's work. Yay.

Did some assembly on DJ build with unrideabru 26" wheelz - fork, headset, bars/stem, Neighbor/sometimes riding partner sold me a Manitou Minute fork with 20 mm axle, just what I was looking for! Put 7" barz on cruiser, not happy with 12 degree back sweep for race position, though my tendonitis prefers it..

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Solid weekend here. Managed to not drive my truck once, which makes me vary happy. Went on a backyard bush whacking snowmobile trail exploring loop on Saturday with @Rockland. We didn't get that lost and made it out to the mountain/hill we wanted to climb. Then had a nice beer to reward ourselves.
Yesterday I went over to a friends house and we brewed some beer. He is a very accomplished home brewer and I am very accomplished beer drinking. We are making a 5gal batch of a dry hopped double IPA. Everything went well yesterday, so we should be drinking it in about 6 weeks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I work for the state yet MLK and Presidents Days both were deemed regular work days as of this year. The one upside of working this weekend is that I'm effectively off today, to think about research-y things.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin peeps!

Got in a dirt ride on Saturday, picked up a new GoPro for reaaal cheap, got rear ended, and yea, that's about it. In the office here on this snowy Monday, no MLK day for me!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Work today. This is going to be a long day. So many things are on the go.

Mr Adventurous reminded me of something; a Go Pro Hero 3 Black with LCD screen, remote and SD card has popped up on PinkBike in my local area for less than half the cost of whatever the newest one is. I'm tempted...does anyone have a good reason not to grab it? For what its worth, a new Hero 5 Black is $600 up here (plus 13% tax).

kid is sick, again. croup round 3. wfh.
Good luck.... I had croup all throughout my childhood and it was not fun in the least. Will never forget the one time that I woke up in the middle of the night, unable to breath and basically rolled off my bed and landed square on my nose. So not only could I not call for help, but was leaking blood everywhere. :rofl:

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
kid is sick, again. croup round 3. wfh.
:stupid: except it's RSV or some other respiratory viral infection. wife is wfh this morning, and it'll be my turn this afternoon.

3/4 weekend were good. Managed to get my oldest skiing on saturday, and he loved it. followed up with an awesome fatbike ride on sunday morning, and little aerobic exercise while the boys watched the Lego Movie, and then it ended... took the kids to the canal (longest ice skating rink in the world :blah:) and it was hell. fucking hell. my oldest doesn't seem to do well with failing at things, and he is a complete novice at skating. he was falling all over the place, flailing, bitching and moaning the whole time... took every ounce of self control not to smack him a few times. that carried over to the evening. all the while my youngest is hacking up a lung, practically choking on phlegm. The night was not a success.

edited to add: and to complete the misery, my phone bricked itself last night. LG G4. was streaming music on the Chromecast, went to skip a song, and the phone won't turn on. there was about a 45% charge so it wasn't the battery. took the battery out, put it back in, won't restart. so I ask google if there are solutions, and I try a hard reset, but nothing happens. the thing is totally dead. no lights, no vibrations, no nothing. I guess I'll be taking it to my carrier's store this afternoon and hoping it can still be warrantied. It's a year and two months old...

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Work today. This is going to be a long day. So many things are on the go.

Mr Adventurous reminded me of something; a Go Pro Hero 3 Black with LCD screen, remote and SD card has popped up on PinkBike in my local area for less than half the cost of whatever the newest one is. I'm tempted...does anyone have a good reason not to grab it? For what its worth, a new Hero 5 Black is $600 up here (plus 13% tax).

Good luck.... I had croup all throughout my childhood and it was not fun in the least. Will never forget the one time that I woke up in the middle of the night, unable to breath and basically rolled off my bed and landed square on my nose. So not only could I not call for help, but was leaking blood everywhere. :rofl:
The only objection I would have is size, I choose the entry level hero model, you cant preview your footage or watch as you film butso far that has not bothered me. I just turn it on, ride and do the edits at home.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
he's quite a trooper about it. thankfully he responds well to the nebulizer, but we still need to get him the steroid dose.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I'm tempted...does anyone have a good reason not to grab it?
Nothing wrong with that deal, but my general objection would be that most people i know end up using their action cams very sporadically once the initial excitement has subsided. On the rare occasion that i do actually bother to take it along, i usually don't do anything with the footage unless it shows me almost dying or absolutely nailing a section. And even then i can't convince my gf of what a badass i am since that trail somehow doesn't look as steep on wide angle video as it did the moment i almost shit my pants.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

There is still a sh!t ton of ice downtown. It's been sunny all weekend, but was 20 degrees so nothing will melt. Supposed to be 40's and rain by Wednesday, so flooding and slides are expected. Yay, weather. Got my bike on the trainer since the wife will be out 6+ weeks. At least I will get some miles in and hope for much Spring ride time.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nothing wrong with that deal, but my general objection would be that most people i know end up using their action cams very sporadically once the initial excitement has subsided. On the rare occasion that i do actually bother to take it along, i usually don't do anything with the footage unless it shows me almost dying or absolutely nailing a section. And even then i can't convince my gf of what a badass i am since that trail somehow doesn't look as steep on wide angle video as it did the moment i almost shit my pants.
Which is why I don't want to blow half a grand on a camera. That's two trips to Bromont!

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Which is why I don't want to blow half a grand on a camera. That's two trips to Bromont!
Even with an app and a screen at the back i think that the user experience still leaves a lot to be desired and is too disruptive during a ride unless you are just riding downhill. And as i said, i think it gets old pretty fast. We went on a fantastic riding trip to Italy last year - 4 guys with a GoPro each. Honestly, the only time we ever looked at the footage was when comparing lines and looking at crashes once we returned to our apartment. I still look at all the pictures i took during that trip but can't be bothered to ever sort through the hours of riding footage i recorded.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm tempted...does anyone have a good reason not to grab it?
Won't work with Karma Grip. Also tops out at 48 fps in 1080p SuperView, which is the mode you'd want to use. (That might even be a 3+ update.)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Even with an app and a screen at the back i think that the user experience still leaves a lot to be desired and is too disruptive during a ride unless you are just riding downhill. And as i said, i think it gets old pretty fast. We went on a fantastic riding trip to Italy last year - 4 guys with a GoPro each. Honestly, the only time we ever looked at the footage was when comparing lines and looking at crashes once we returned to our apartment. I still look at all the pictures i took during that trip but can't be bothered to ever sort through the hours of riding footage i recorded.
Yeah - I think, like anything, there are "Gopro" folks and "IDGAF" folks in this camp. I mean - the only person in the end that is going to give a shit about this footage is yourself. And if *you* don't give a shit... there's precious little point having one of those things.

I'm definitely in the IDGAF camp. Fortunately, I identified this prior to actually buying one. :D

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Where'd you go and which one did you get?
Hero 5 Black through LL Bean. Had a bunch of stuff to return to them and put the store credit towards the camera so it was $175 after all was said and done. Now I want the Karma Grip too, was gonna check in and see what happened with yours.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah - I think, like anything, there are "Gopro" folks and "IDGAF" folks in this camp. I mean - the only person in the end that is going to give a shit about this footage is yourself. And if *you* don't give a shit... there's precious little point having one of those things.

I'm definitely in the IDGAF camp. Fortunately, I identified this prior to actually buying one. :D
:stupid:

My cheap knock off was like $30 and riding behind my daughter was fun to watch her line choice and we would watch it afterwards and laugh. It also worked well on the boat, but I didn't shoot a lot other than the little monkey on the tube.

But I know how slow I am, I don't need to relive it. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Now I want the Karma Grip too, was gonna check in and see what happened with yours.
They told me how to hard reset it so I did that plus recalibrating yet again. I'll give it a workout skiing later this month and thus will be able to tell if it worked then.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
VTL Tube amps overheat often. Never use one in a Rack Mount System. Yamaha Amps do everything the VTL does for half the costs. Calibrating tubes sucks....