Quantcast

'03 Hayes Hydro's - What's up with the Tiny Plastic Piece

GoRoRo

Chimp
Jul 23, 2003
Santa Barbara
So this weekend I was riding at Big Bear with my new 03 Hayes Hydro brakes. When I got to the top of the chair lift and went to ride downhill I realized I had no front brake. All the fluid was leaking out of brake lever. When I took it into the shop they showed me that the tiny plastic piece that seals the hole had popped out. THey also told me that Hayes has not sent out any replacement parts. After alot of consulting with other mechanics they finally jammed the tiny whole with a cable. It seems to be working okay now. What's the deal with this???????

Any thoughts on how to get that tiny plastic covering?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
I dunno exactly, but the same thing happened to one of our guys on Saturday, it ruined the rest of his day. You have HFX-9s, right?

WTF was Hayes thinking when they replaced the bleed SCREW with a tiny plastic plug held in by nothing but friction????? That whole HFX series is one big pile of sh*t (what with the leaky master cylinders), you gotta get Mags these days (or find some '02 or older ones)............

An alternative would be to get a lever body from a 2002 or earlier, I'm pretty sure they'll work with those calipers. No point in just fixing this problem to have it happen again next weekend...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by sub6
WTF was Hayes thinking when they replaced the bleed SCREW with a tiny plastic plug held in by nothing but friction????? That whole HFX series is one big pile of sh*t (what with the leaky master cylinders), you gotta get Mags these days (or find some '02 or older ones)............

An alternative would be to get a lever body from a 2002 or earlier, I'm pretty sure they'll work with those calipers. No point in just fixing this problem to have it happen again next weekend...
That's exactly what I did to get my Scream up and running AGAIN. I used the old lever bodies w/Razor Rock Shorty from my '02s and just replaced the hose and caliper with the '03 HFX Mag HD8 version...the new lever and rotor from the kit are just sitting in the box as backup. I tried to use the old hose too but it doesn't attach to the caliper the same way as the old banjo sylee. I hope my new lever doesn't have a lame plastic plug. :(

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
from what I understand, the HFX-Mag (the new, expensive ones) are fine, since they pretty much have the old lever body. The HFX-9s have the little buttplug in 'em, and the HFX-Comps are made of plastic.

It's good that Hayes is pursuing the lower price-points, but they could REALLY do a couple of things better, Shimano XTs don't have ANY of those issues at ~$120 per wheel....

GoRoRo

Chimp
Jul 23, 2003
Santa Barbara
The HFX-9s have the little buttplug in 'em,

It's good that Hayes is pursuing the lower price-points, but they could REALLY do a couple of things better, Shimano XTs don't have ANY of those issues at ~$120 per wheel....
That's exactly what they are BUTTPLUGs. What a pain. You would think they would have thought about that. Riders I have talked with say Shimano is the way to go!

Thanks for the input!

GoRoRo

Chimp
Jul 23, 2003
Santa Barbara
Originally posted by sirknight6
the whole rebuild kit on the Hayes hydros are $20.00.

I know this because I had to by a set.
What exactly comes in this rebuild kit. All I need is that buttplug. It's worth probably 2cents.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by GoRoRo
What exactly comes in this rebuild kit. All I need is that buttplug. It's worth probably 2cents.
The linkage buttplug, clip on washer and spring. I ordered mine through the local LBS.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by GoRoRo
Thanks. I've printed myself a copy and will look over it this weekend.
That isn't going to help. He's talking about something else, unfortunately, the master cylinder rebuild kit, which is completely different.

What you need used be called the "bleed screw" and is probably now called the "bleed butt-plug" or something else similarly appropriate....:rolleyes:

ah - just looked it up, it's called the "reservoir plug". See here:
http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/BleedKit-45-14576A.pdf

I have a feeling that if you call Hayes they'll give you one for free. It seems like it's going to be a common problem since they fell out so easily.

BAC5.2

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
Originally posted by builder666
Call up Hayes. They're cool and will return your call within 24hrs. Glad I got my '02 Purples.;)
damn straight. I got one of the last few sets of the Purple's. That HFX system looks ridiculous. I have no problems other than the occasional noise.

Hayes took a wrong turn with the HFX system IMO.

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Construction in Subterfuge
Originally posted by BAC5.2
damn straight. I got one of the last few sets of the Purple's. That HFX system looks ridiculous. I have no problems other than the occasional noise.

Hayes took a wrong turn with the HFX system IMO.
Word... I'm trying to build another back-up set right now. Purchasing parts where and when I can. Purple Hayes Rule!

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
y'all. All Hayes did was add a couple of low-cost models to their line. The HFX-Comp is the ****ty plastic one. HFX-9 is okay but sucks in the end. HFX-Mag is the good one - it uses the old lever and updated caliper.

You aren't gonna get the old Mag quality at the new low prices, you still gotta shell out the big $$$ for the Mags.

btw I have sets of Purples and Mags and they both kick ass; I'm not going down the hfx-9 road ever...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
y'all. All Hayes did was add a couple of low-cost models to their line. The HFX-Comp is the ****ty plastic one. HFX-9 is okay but sucks in the end. HFX-Mag is the good one - it uses the old lever and updated caliper.

You aren't gonna get the old Mag quality at the new low prices, you still gotta shell out the big $$$ for the Mags.

btw I have sets of Purples and Mags and they both kick ass; I'm not going down the hfx-9 road ever...

...ducks and get the HFX Mag. My buddy at my LBS was gonna hook me up on some HFX-9s they had in stock, but I did the right thing and just ordered up the Mag for $149 even though my bike was out of commission for an extra week. I coulda save 40 bills but would've lost double that on frustration and brake fluid for re-bleeds down the road. Dodged another bullet! :eek:

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Construction in Subterfuge
Word... The calipers on the mags are great, but the handles just aren't as beef as the purples. Hayes shoudn't have stopped making them, IMO. I would rather build a set from replacement parts and bleed them myself, because places like N* love to reck your ****. I also leave my handles hand-tight to let them move when I crash.