Quantcast

'03 Z1 Question

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I've been running a Z1 FR for 2 seasons, and it's never really felt right. It feels a bit too stiff and seems to ramp up too quickly. It's never had that plushness that I'm used to from Marzocchi forks. I originally had it on a Chameleon, so I actually sort of liked the extra stiffness. However, it's now on a full squish bike, and I feel like the front end is negatively affecting the performance of the bike as a whole.

I changed the oil and put the minimum recommended level in. That helped, but barely. I'm thinking the springs are too heavy for my weight (~160 lbs, geared up). I've had no luck finding any solid info on spring weights by color, so I thought I'd ask. They appear to be a dark silver color (almost titanium). One spring has a streak of red on the top of the coil, but I'm not sure if that's significant...my understanding was the springs were a solid color (all red/yellow/etc.).

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
bagtagley said:
I've been running a Z1 FR for 2 seasons, and it's never really felt right. It feels a bit too stiff and seems to ramp up too quickly. It's never had that plushness that I'm used to from Marzocchi forks. I originally had it on a Chameleon, so I actually sort of liked the extra stiffness. However, it's now on a full squish bike, and I feel like the front end is negatively affecting the performance of the bike as a whole.

I changed the oil and put the minimum recommended level in. That helped, but barely. I'm thinking the springs are too heavy for my weight (~160 lbs, geared up). I've had no luck finding any solid info on spring weights by color, so I thought I'd ask. They appear to be a dark silver color (almost titanium). One spring has a streak of red on the top of the coil, but I'm not sure if that's significant...my understanding was the springs were a solid color (all red/yellow/etc.).
I believe the stock springs in the '03s are x-firm. They work great for me, and I weigh 215 lbs. I'd give Marz a call and see what the other options are. They used to have a really handy spring chart on their site for older Z1's, but no more.

Also, after 2 seasons a new set of seals might make it feel less sticky.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Summit said:
Your fork clearly doesn't like being in Utah. The Crest hates it. Go back to West Vuginia, kook! ;)
STALKER! (Very sneaky w/ the name change. I should take a lesson from your book. See you in PC at 5 Brotha!)

H8R: X-Firm eh? If that's what's in there, then that's definitely my problem. My skinny ass needs some softs...thanks.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Hehe. Word, tomorrow it's ON. Stoked for the first Empire ride...

So my Z1 is an '03...but it's not overly stiff--I can bottom it pretty easily on the ladder drop at I Street. Ahh but mine isn't the FR (it's a regular QR axle), mebbe that's why.