Quantcast

'04 DJ III. Discuss!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Roasted said:
In buy and sell at the top of the first page of the forums.
Why? I'm not looking to buy or sell one. I already bought one, just looking for some TECH info on it from people that might be using one. Perhaps my original post wasn't clear?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The DJIII is a sturdy but "cheaply" dampened fork with no real adjustments to made to it. I have found that it can be made to feel pretty good by swapping the factory oil for 12 or even 15wt oil. This will significantly slow down the rebound and make the fork less "spikey". Also try adding maybe 3-5psi in the air assist to prevent bottoming out. Good Luck!

NOTE: Changing the oil in a DJIII is super duper easy so don't be scared to mess with it! just let the air out of the air assist and then unscrew the top caps. Remove the coil-springs and then use a long screw driver or something to stick down in the fork to see the oil level (mark the screw driver w/ a sharpie). Drain out the oil and replace with new heavier oil to the same level. Even if you are really light, 12wt will still feel really good and not too stiff. Unlike heavier springs, which will make the fork stiffer but more spikey feeling, heavier oil will make the fork stiffer but more controlled feeling w/ slower rebound.

spookymilk

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Salmon Arm, B.C.
The DJ3 is great for street and DH and that is it. It's stuff, burly and can take a beating but it's heavy and them damping is useless for trail riding, it's a pretty one-dimensioned fork.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Spooky,

Welcome to the monkey.

I hope you will find more engaging conversation here than on "other" forums...

spookymilk

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Salmon Arm, B.C.
haha, you referring to NSMB? Only reason I'm here right now is I got banned for defending someone in a stupid arguement :mad: . But this place seems so much more mature I figure I'll become a full-time member even when I'm un-banned. Also, alot less members and hey all seem older too :thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Yeah dude, we kinda had our differences if I remember correctly over the whole "UFC, Carlin is/isn't a dickhead" thing. Anyway bygones man...welcome aboard, there is a ton of great info here, the DH forum and the Lounge combined are similar to the shore forum on NSMB as far as the volume of posts is there...

spookymilk

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Salmon Arm, B.C.
yeah, I remember that, most people were against him for some reason too...how is Carlin doing though? He get any sponsers or going on any filming trips? I hope so, cause his riding was great but a little one-dimensional compared to Goss (IMO). He definately deserves something for his work....Wish him luck for me

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Actually he is doing really well! He placed first in expert DH at Big Bear (beating out super fast/talented Semi-pro Sanjay!) He also went out to Utah to film with Derek Westerlund for NWDV and nailed a sick big drop. He was just up at Whistler but he slightly tweaked his shoulder in a high-speed bail and came home for a week or two to let it heal up. He has been talking with Fox and they are in the process of working out a deal, he already is pimpin' their riding gear head to toe so it's looking good for him. Fox also arranged to tentatively have him film in Alaska with Derek later this year. I will be up at Whistler July 10th-20th and Carlin and Ryan Schnepf (UFC competitor and winner of the NSMB AIRprentice! ) are both tentatively going to stay at my condo for at least a few of those days. I love riding with those guys, they pump me up so much to try things. I agree that Wayne had some more versatility displayed in his UFC video, I am glad that Race Face is allowing two 1-minute videos for this years UFC. That will for sure help to really showcase a riders full abilities. Imagine if Carlin's first vid was followed up by a second 1-minute video of pure street/DJ's (all of which he is totally capable of) to show the disbelievers! I can't wait to see the new UFC videos, I imagine the level of riding will be unprecedented!!! Is Wayne making a big splash in BC? I haven't heard much about him stateside since the UFC winner announcement? Did he make it the John henry event like he was scheduled to? I am curious to get an update if you know.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Good news to hear about Carlin. Glad things are going relatively well.

I gave up on the Carlin argument on nsmb. Too much guessing. Reminded me of "Bender is untalented AND and asshole" arguments of past haha