Quantcast

06' 888rc2x add air assist ?

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
My buddy has an 06'888 rc2x he weighs 315lb. He's running x stiff springs and heavier oil - still too soft. Anyone know if some sort of air cap retrofit / mod can be done ? Thanx

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
honestly sell the fork, go onto pinkbike, buy a super monster and use the extra cash to buy beefier parts. with a super monster the weight would cancel out the extra travel sort of, now you got a few inches of - travel. 315 seriously?

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
honestly sell the fork, go onto pinkbike, buy a super monster and use the extra cash to buy beefier parts. with a super monster the weight would cancel out the extra travel sort of, now you got a few inches of - travel. 315 seriously?
Ha Ha more comedians... I can go to mtbr for jokes :monkeydance:

You buddy wouldn't happen to be named keen would he

315 + gear is pushing it for air...

Not me, I am a svelte 195lb. I recomended the fork for a fellow rider and now he is complaining it is too soft. If air assist was an option i'd feel better about my advise in fork choice.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
call up phol springs and have custom ones made. i had to do this for a rear shock once and they are great quality and their turn around is fast as well.

probably cost like 60-70 buck for 2 springs or so. that is what is cost me for the 2 rear springs i got from them. this is probably your best bet for a guy that big.

i know how it is sometimes being about 260 lbs without gear. though i'm trying to loss some weight. seriously him lossing weight will help him in many different cases in getting/breaking parts. also he will become a faster rider because of it. not bashing or making fat jokes, being serious.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i'm 6'5" myself and i should be about 230 for my body type. i'm actually going to try to get there over the next couple of months. unless this guy is a body builder (most likely not) he has a good amount of wright that he could loss. though i know that there is atleast one body biulder that post here time to time and he is like 285 and not much fat on him. he was running into a similar problem himself

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Any of you ever met any pro football defensive linebackers ? They do pack some extra weight in the mid section but they have some serious mass. Not every bike rider is 5'6" & 150lb. The guy deffinitly could use to lose some mid-section weight but as a 44 year old adult it's his life. He is a fast rider (DH of course) and a really good guy. I myself am 6'4" and find the bike world is not sized around larger / taller riders.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I myself am 6'4" and find the bike world is not sized around larger / taller riders.
I'm 6'7" and haven't really had trouble finding bikes that are comfortable. Cannondale's and GT all seem to be sized comfortabley if u get the right ones. You just have to get XL's maybe. I'd say its more sized around bigger riders than smaller riders for sure.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
This should be a name your body specs so people like me know not to **** with you thread.
Just normal monsters would be a safe fork for him. he will probablly need heavier springs no matter what,or fill the inside of the springs with elastomers(check if suitable with oil first).

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the 888 is a strong enough fork for sure. i actually gave useful info on how to fix the problem (phol springs). i also know what you mean by having a hardtime finding a bike to fit right. the frame i have coming on the way has a 25" eff. toptube and should feel good to me. i was not trying to be rude about the fat thing just trying to be constructive. i would say that most people that post here have atleast 10 lbs that they should lose

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
call up phol springs and have custom ones made. i had to do this for a rear shock once and they are great quality and their turn around is fast as well.

probably cost like 60-70 buck for 2 springs or so. that is what is cost me for the 2 rear springs i got from them. this is probably your best bet for a guy that big.

i know how it is sometimes being about 260 lbs without gear. though i'm trying to loss some weight. seriously him lossing weight will help him in many different cases in getting/breaking parts. also he will become a faster rider because of it. not bashing or making fat jokes, being serious.
"phol springs" - Got a link ? Thanx

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I would have thought 2x heavy springs, heavy LSC + end stroke compression damping, and max oil height would leave the fork quite suitable for a heavier rider.

What exactly is the issue - is the fork bottoming out, or is it too soft in the initial part of the stroke?

One idea (if the custom spring idea falls through) is to use the air cartridge from the 888SL to replace the [fairly useless] end stroke compression cartridge, and run the maximum air pressure allowed as well as a hard spring in the rebound leg. I'm 90% sure that would allow a spring rate more than high enough for his weight.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
okai so your buddy has the two 3,5kg/cm springs installed.

that means 140 kilos or 300lbs roughly to compress the springs fully, he weighs 315 with gear, just guesstimating he would need a fork that took say 420lbs to bottom out the springs in.

that in turn would mean a fork with around 25lbs/in in each leg, 25*8=200 times 2 equals 400.

the old 2005 boxxer x-firm spring is rated at 25lbs/in!!!

great stuff because thats an easily available part and its cheap too.

now, the problem is that the boxxer spring is 90mm longer than the 888 spring, and that it will probably rub the inside of the stanchion, but both those things can be worked around.

the good thing is that you can even find ti springs for it.
now, to get it to work you will have to do some non-reversible mods to the spring preload sleeves, and also fashion some sort of silence for the spring, i had luck with a rubber stop around the cartridge rod.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
okai so your buddy has the two 3,5kg/cm springs installed.

that means 140 kilos or 300lbs roughly to compress the springs fully, he weighs 315 with gear, just guesstimating he would need a fork that took say 420lbs to bottom out the springs in.

that in turn would mean a fork with around 25lbs/in in each leg, 25*8=200 times 2 equals 400.

the old 2005 boxxer x-firm spring is rated at 25lbs/in!!!

great stuff because thats an easily available part and its cheap too.

now, the problem is that the boxxer spring is 90mm longer than the 888 spring, and that it will probably rub the inside of the stanchion, but both those things can be worked around.

the good thing is that you can even find ti springs for it.
now, to get it to work you will have to do some non-reversible mods to the spring preload sleeves, and also fashion some sort of silence for the spring, i had luck with a rubber stop around the cartridge rod.
Good info. but my buddy doesn't have the patience for such mods. His primary wrench probably wouldn't invest the time for that work.

{QUOTE}I would have thought 2x heavy springs, heavy LSC + end stroke compression damping, and max oil height would leave the fork quite suitable for a heavier rider.

What exactly is the issue - is the fork bottoming out, or is it too soft in the initial part of the stroke?

One idea (if the custom spring idea falls through) is to use the air cartridge from the 888SL to replace the [fairly useless] end stroke compression cartridge, and run the maximum air pressure allowed as well as a hard spring in the rebound leg. I'm 90% sure that would allow a spring rate more than high enough for his weight.

Problem is if the springs are not up to the task you are band-aiding everything else trying to compensate. Too soft of springs will sag too far into the travel (sustained load) irregardless of compression dampning or oil height. Air as a replacement spring offers little midstroke support - not good for heavier riders. Lets face it an X heavy spring was designed around a 225lb. rider.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
well thats the only real solution to his problem, save for maybe like the ffman said, the ATA cartridge, but i dont see that one being avilable for some time yet.
as for the air assist, maybe you can just ghetto rig a valve from a car, those tubeless thingies, make a hole in the top cap, remove the preload adjuster, dont quite know if there is space there, probably not, but that would be the only way to do it.