Quantcast

06 Boxxer Races - slurping ???

SKT

Chimp
Dec 29, 2004
Wodonga, Australia
I had a bit of oil escaping the left leg through the oil seal on Saturday, and after a few runs I noticed a bit of a slurping/air sucking noise starting, like I've heard in other forks but not in these until Saturday. I knew the left leg had lost a fair bit of oil (the left leg only holds 30ml now and a greasy spring) and when pulling the leg down I found that the rebound valveing exactly the same as in my '04 Boxxers, including the Black Box red base valve was in the left staunchion. Odd really, I was told by a SRAM mech at the Nats that there was nothing bar 25ml of oil and the spring, although the service guide says otherwise.
Anyways, I figured once I'd replaced the seal and 30ml of oil all would be back to normal and no more slurping/sucking.

Not to be.......still slurping/sucking.
To be specific, it is more of a puffing noise..... fffffffffft......happening on the compression, getting more distinct with increase of compression via hte blue adjuster.
I've heard it before in other forks and rear shocks and it was a fairly normal sound, but not in these Boxxers before and they are only about 2 months old.

As I said, the slurping increases when I increase the Compression so I am convinced it's in the right leg with the Motion Control gizmo.
They feel ok around the street and the compression and rebound responds to the individual adjusters as per normal so I am fairly content with that. Just that this fffffffffft has appeared and I can't quite work it out.

I'm not sure if anyone has worked on there Races or Teams yet but this is a little bit curious. Anyone got any clues or ideas as to what may be going on here??

Cheers