Quantcast

'06 Marzocchi All Mtn 1 oil levels

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Anyone know what the oil levels are supposed to be in an '06 Marzocchi All Mountain 1 with the 130-150mm adjustable travel? I followed the specs on the manufacturer's Web site and I think they're wrong.

I've had the fork for about a year and it's never felt quite right, but I dealt with it. It rebounds way too fast over small bumps. I've got rebound damping set two clicks from slowest, and it works fine over larger bumps, but with small ones it's always been too fast.

The last week or so, it's gotten even worse and now has a harsh clunk at the end of the rebound. Researched it on Marzocchi's Web site and found that this could be caused by improper oil levels or that it may just need an oil change.

Web site says for the 130-150mm adjustable model to put 180cc in the right leg and 50cc in the left. I measured the oil as I removed what was in there - 50cc in the right and 100 in the left. Huh?!? That doesn't make any sense.

I figure, ok I'll go with what the Web site says. I try putting 180cc in the right leg and it overflows. Most I can fit seems to be about 150cc (which is what it lists for the 150mm model without the travel adjustment). I put 50cc in the left leg as recommended, put it all together and try riding. I get almost NO travel at all, so I figure it's too much oil.

Take it apart again, drain, re-measure and add 130cc to the right leg, leaving the left leg un-touched. Put it backtogether and now I get about half of the available travel.

Before I continue my trial-and-error method of determining how much oil I should have, does anyone else know? Anyone ever run into this before?

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Two things. First are you making sure to cycle out all the oil from the cartridges when you drain the fork. If you're not, that may explain the locking up of the fork you are describing. Second, did you install heavier weight springs? If you did you may have to up the weight of the oil in the fork to compensate for the extra force contributed by the heavier springs.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Two things. First are you making sure to cycle out all the oil from the cartridges when you drain the fork. If you're not, that may explain the locking up of the fork you are describing. Second, did you install heavier weight springs? If you did you may have to up the weight of the oil in the fork to compensate for the extra force contributed by the heavier springs.
1 - Yep, I made sure to cycle the cartridges while draining.

2 - Nope, did not change springs. Using 7.5 wt oil, as recommended in their tech manual.

Thanks for the reply though.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Well you still may want to give heavier weight oil a shot. If it's rebounding too fast and your adjuster is already almost maxed out....heavier oil will slo down the rebound even more.
Hmm ... good point. If I use heavier oil I can use less rebound damping and maybe it will fix the small bump problem I had originally. Over the weekend I had experimented with different oil volumes (testing 100cc R and 100cc L on tonight's ride after work) with mixed results. I got it back to where it was before it got really bad.

Oh, I also got a response from Marzocchi telling me to call them. I'll have to do that as well.