Quantcast

06 V10 linkage issue?

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
So I got a 2006 V10 that was pretty hammered when I bought it. Bought a pro pack from SC and installed it exactly as per their instruction. made a huge improvement. My issue (if you want to even call it that) is with no weight on the bike, if you pick it up by the seat and just let it fall, it makes a sort of clank noise. When you're on it riding it's not an issue but even walking the bike up some uphill sections you can hear it. It's more annoying than anything.

I've check the shock, it's not that.

I've checked the lower link behind the BB and it's not that. It's solid and no movement/slop.

I've checked everything again in all the pivots and there is no movement/slop anywhere. What the hell could this be? Anyone have a similiar experience? maybe I'm missing the obvious. Thanks

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
I'll check it again but when I let the bike down I have my fingers on the shock where it bolts to the frame and the linkage and there is no movement. I guess the DU bushings are the ones that are pressed into the shock?

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
I found some DU bushings to order. Still not convinced it's them though. Wouldn't you be able to feel the shock moving when doing the ol garage test?

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
You usually have to replace the hardware as well, not only the bushing.

If you have your fingers placed on the spacer (running through the bushings) and the frame, you will not necessarily feel anything, try again and see if there is play between the hardware and bushing in the shock.

Have you checked that your spring is preloaded?

You said the bike clanks, but is there play in the rear end of the bike or just a sound?

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
You usually have to replace the hardware as well, not only the bushing.

If you have your fingers placed on the spacer (running through the bushings) and the frame, you will not necessarily feel anything, try again and see if there is play between the hardware and bushing in the shock.

Have you checked that your spring is preloaded?

You said the bike clanks, but is there play in the rear end of the bike or just a sound?
I had the shock out last night and the bolt actually needs a little force to go thru the shock bushings and there's no play.

My spring is preloaded as I set me sag already.

Although there is a clank there is no play or slop in the linkage. I'm starting to think I should just ride it. It's just annoying. When you pick up the bike by the seat and let drop to the floor it clanks. Strange.

The only thing I didn't replace was that lower rocker assembly behind the BB but I inspected it as per SC and there was no play with the pivot shaft in it. Also the pivot shaft was good as in it wasn't too long like SC say's may be the case so I didn't have to shorten it.

Thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate it!

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
If there is no play, it could be a large number of things.

Chainslap, rear mech slap, damper noises or just a small collection of gnomes in the swingarm.

With the rear suspension out of the frame, move it through the whole range of motion, check so the chain guide isn't hitting or rubbing anything.

If there is no luck with that, just ride. :)

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Hmm. all that checks out and I did the suspension out thing but I WILL check the rear dreall, maybe that's it. If that checks out I'm going with the gnomes.

I'll probably just end up riding it! Thanks for all the help guy's!

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
ok so I took the shock out tonight and you guy's were right, pretty sure it's the bottom shock bushing. It's kinda egg'd out. Don't know how I missed it but I did. Gonna order up 2 new ones