Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Last edited:

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
I've been hoping for a 5.10 with a lace cover for the last couple seasons. After seeing the karver, I'm going to continue to hope for something...else :)

Perhaps just take the covers off my shimano dx shoes and sew them on my 5.10s.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i love my early edition 5.10s...the allblacks when butch brought em back. they're simple, they work mint, and I've never had problems with dirt and grit. I am a huge fan of the single sided tongue but the the round laces leave much to be desired. Still, once they're double knotted they're fine. No problems with delamination either, but I'm not out every weekend.

Great shoes. I may buy a pair of freerunners because they're neat.

Don't dig the new styles, but that's mostly because black and red doesn't work...and the sam hills look like bowling shoes.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
The new Freeriders look great. They look like a re-worked BA51C. I had a lot of Vans previously and burned through the waffle bottoms quickly. I still have a pair of 1/2 Cab's that are brand new, just the waffles are shredded.

I bought 2 pairs of BA51C and I am still on the first pair. I use them only for DJ and keep my black Impact low's for the FR/DH.

I never thought of getting the kits and applying to another shoe. Which one of the kits in Bizutch's reference are the correct ones? What are the differenes in them? There are like 9 different kits...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I just noticed that the main difference between the carver and the low top is that it's basicly the 06 Mid-top with ankle protection from the crank. I love that feature of the mid-top. I gave the original sample pair to my buddy Greg and ride the low tops now. Wish I had those again in a way.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
All kind of ironic... given that 5-10 a few years back consciously stopped (for a while) supplying the UK importer and apparently didn't want anything to do with mtb.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I have a pair of the IMPACT Low. I like them alot. With 510's I've gone back to 100% Flat Pedals. I like the look of their 2009 line. :cheers:

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Any body seen the Red/Black Karver in person? Does the lace protector say "Karver" or "Korn"? My Impacts are about done and I like the looks of these, especially the low cut with added ankle protection. However, I'd rather just buy a new set of impacts than pay extra for a lame logo I will probably black out with sharpie.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
So you can really attach a stealth rubber sole to any other pair of shoes? Do you have to detach the original outsole first?

Also, to whoever said that a black/red colorway "doesn't work" you should know that it's perenially one of the most celebrated colorways of the jordan line, which is perhaps the most celebrated line of sneakers ever.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So you can really attach a stealth rubber sole to any other pair of shoes? Do you have to detach the original outsole first?

Also, to whoever said that a black/red colorway "doesn't work" you should know that it's perenially one of the most celebrated colorways of the jordan line, which is perhaps the most celebrated line of sneakers ever.
Ahhh....yes, the most celebrated sneaker for basketball players and sneaker collectors...made by a no longer active player who's only relevance comes from a yearly sneaker and hanes commercials....who's team colors were white and red (with a little black).

When stealth rubber shoes become collectible, maybe you'll have a point.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Ahhh....yes, the most celebrated sneaker for basketball players and sneaker collectors...made by a no longer active player who's only relevance comes from a yearly sneaker and hanes commercials....who's team colors were white and red (with a little black).

When stealth rubber shoes become collectible, maybe you'll have a point.
Well, my point is, is that there isn't a difference between a stealth rubber shoe and a basketball shoe that makes a red/black colorway work for one and not for the other. Right? Technology-wise, sure, they're very different things, made for very different purposes, but that has very little to do with the colors.

An mtb show should probably have darker colors since it's going to get dirty, so what's wrong with a black/red colorway?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Who the hell buys a set of shoes just because it has some dude's name on it? :crazy::crazy: Would you wear underwear with someone else's name on it too?

Ugly ones at that.

<====== Loves his pure black Impacts.
wUrd. I wish they'd focus on driving down the costs rather than driving up the colors (and gayness....)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well, my point is, is that there isn't a difference between a stealth rubber shoe and a basketball shoe that makes a red/black colorway work for one and not for the other. Right? Technology-wise, sure, they're very different things, made for very different purposes, but that has very little to do with the colors.

An mtb show should probably have darker colors since it's going to get dirty, so what's wrong with a black/red colorway?
hey man, i'm just ribbing you a little bit. I think red and black is an ugly combination (very mid 90s) but color choice is about as personal as it can get. A lot of people buy d2 helmets because they're pretty, and that's it. There are plenty of sneakerfreakers out there, but I'm not really one of them.

YMMV

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Haha, I had a feeling that's what it was.

I personally don't like black/red sneakers either, but I used to collect sneakers so I've seen that the black/red colorway is far from unpopular (even for non-jordans) which leads me to believe that a lot of people like black and red shoes.

Regardless, I'm stoked to get that resole kit and slap some stealth rubber on a nice pair of leather dress shoes. Don't think I won't do it (I won't do it).