09 Session 88 build & questions

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Two for 1 special on this thread!

09 Session 88 FR medium
2010 40
Industry 9 wheels to 823s (silver/silver)
Sunline bars
Twenty6 Stem
ODI grips
Saint brakes, shifter, derailur, cranks, and chainring.
E13 Guide (on narrow setting)
High Roller 2.5 in the front, DHR 2.5 in the back, both set up tubeless
Stock post, WTB seat (its new!)
Sram chain (971?) cheapest 1
Straitline pedals (3 seasons old!)

39.39 pounds, kinda disappointed with the weight, but i didnt exactly do anything lightweight.

Now for help from the monkeys, in-between the flaming, i need to figure out a decent springrate. I am 210 before gear, which is leatt/helmet/knee pads/clothes. It has a 450 and it feels too light, i was thinking about a 500, which i would assume would be ideal, but i have heard of people my weight running 550s.

Also, this feels REALLY small(in the TT), even with a 55mm stem, this bike seems tiny. I have been a medium everything for about as long as i have been riding. I am 5 11 and have the fork almost topped out with a 55 stem and sunline bars (29s) Should i be looking for a new front triangle? I havent heard anything about these running super small, and before i invest anything or try to sell, i want to see what the general consensus says. Also, big stems are bad?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
steel springs are cheap. buy both and try them.

and now i don't want to hear any more complaining out of you about how you can't ride because you don't have your demo :busted:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
You could get that bike to drop 2 pounds with some lighter components, but yah I wouldn't call those components heavy or 39lbs. a heavy bike for a rider 200lbs. plus. You have a solid build that will hold up to you. 500lb. spring should be in the neighborhood of what you need. I run a 425lb. and weigh 170lb. in full gear.
My build is a med. Trek Session with Dorado, Elka shock Ti spring, Hayes brakes, Profile racing hubs and MTX Sun rims, Road Saddle, Thomson masterpiece seatpost (cut), lightweight answer stem and bars, Profile racing cranks w/ ti bb (about the same as Saint weight) kmc ti chain, Answer pedals (500 grams)Specialized Clutch 2.35 tires (equiv. to Maxxis 2.5s) and freeride tubes. Weighs in at 37.25lbs.
Size wise the Treks run a little small but, you shouldnt feel super cramped at 5'11" but that is preference, also depends on torso vs leg length. I am 5'8" and I would say in the middle of the med. fit range.
If you are coming off a Demo I would say they run long compared to other bikes. My buddy rides a medium demo and is like 6'2" but likes a small feel.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
You could get that bike to drop 2 pounds with some lighter components, but yah I wouldn't call those components heavy or 39lbs. a heavy bike for a rider 200lbs. plus. You have a solid build that will hold up to you. 500lb. spring should be in the neighborhood of what you need. I run a 425lb. and weigh 170lb. in full gear.
My build is a med. Trek Session with Dorado, Elka shock Ti spring, Hayes brakes, Profile racing hubs and MTX Sun rims, Road Saddle, Thomson masterpiece seatpost (cut), lightweight answer stem and bars, Profile racing cranks w/ ti bb (about the same as Saint weight) kmc ti chain, Specialized Clutch 2.35 tires and freeride tubes. Weighs in at 37.30lbs.
Size wise the Treks run a little small but, you shouldnt feel super cramped at 5'11" but that is preference. I am 5'8" and I would say in the middle of the med. fit range.
If you are coming off a Demo I would say they run long compared to other bikes. My buddy rides a medium demo and is like 6'2" but likes a small feel.
good call with the demo, my demo 9 was enormous as a M

anybody got a 500 by 2.8 spring

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yah man hope it works out for you! I never owned a Demo to compare it to but, I love my Trek! I would advise using some sort of protection on the downtube, I have 2" industrial velcro hard side on the bottom of mine and clear protective tape on the sides. The only one I have seen with problems was actually pierced but, it landed on a pointy rock in a crash so, may have happened to any frame.
They do have a rep for that problem and Trek has since thickend the downtube on the new frame. Besides that the bike is plush, light and turns quick etc.

Last edited:

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
what kind of protection is that on the downtube? can you order them somewhere or is it custom made? I have an 09 frame that already has some solid dents in it but would like to protect it from more..

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Its from the original owner, it is made by trek, and meant for the sessions, i havent ridden it much yet, but it will protect from things flying up, NOT from you hitting things. its as thick as 2-3 credit cards, and made from a rubbery plastic material. Worth getting IMO

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
the cockpit is pretty short/small on them, but its built to ride over the BB/back wheel, I'm 6'1" and I'm on a medium/like it alot. its slack enough and low enough it works.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have a 500x2.8 spring- do you have a 400x2.8 that you could trade for? PM me if you're interested.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
from what i know, there are 2 kinds, the new 1 does not fit onto the old sessions (there is 1 for them) mine zip ties on and fits like a glove. it is meant for the earlier ones.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
that is correct. the type for the 2011 88DH bolts on to the frame, and is built for the round downtube session. the others zip tie on, and are built for the square(ish) tubed sessions and scratches.