Quantcast

1.125" Crown for a Breakout coming?

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I personally love riding a 6" single crown, a 2003.5 Z150. At the time it was my only option for a 1.125" headtube. In 2004 it's not much better with only the addition of the Z150SL but it appears that RS is coming out with a 5.8" SC for 2005 and I believe with a standard diameter steerer?

I can see the Breakout Plus needing the 1.5" but any possibility of either the standard Breakout in a 1.125" or the Firefly/Flick with increased travel over this year?

Z150 is a great fork and is the perfect geometry for my RFX but the fact that it's a true 7 lbs. and the ETA does nothing does not make it the best for long technical climbs and XC. The Breakout with SPV and almost 2 lbs. lighter sounds like a much better option for me but the steerer won't fit.:(

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
yesterday i weighed a z150sl, it was 2309g absolutely straight out of the box including axle and QR.

thats 5,09lbs and you can expect that to drop to 5 flat after cutting the steerer.

the only setback to me seemed to be the QR20 system (well that and the axle to crown but thats more of a personal preference thing)

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Originally posted by vitox
yesterday i weighed a z150sl, it was 2309g absolutely straight out of the box including axle and QR.

thats 5,09lbs and you can expect that to drop to 5 flat after cutting the steerer.

the only setback to me seemed to be the QR20 system (well that and the axle to crown but thats more of a personal preference thing)
That must be the 2004 version, I heard that was lighter than the 2003.5, mine's a true 7 pounder before I cut the steerer. Is yours a steel steerer or aluminum?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by DH Dad
That must be the 2004 version, I heard that was lighter than the 2003.5, mine's a true 7 pounder before I cut the steerer. Is yours a steel steerer or aluminum?

it was a 2004 version, remember its the SL, it was alloy steerer and stanchions.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Breakout with SPV and almost 2 lbs. lighter sounds like a much better option for me but the steerer won't fit.:(
Considering that the firefly 20mm is 5.4lbs, I highly doubt that.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by Jm_
Considering that the firefly 20mm is 5.4lbs, I highly doubt that.

rilly?

hm, that 150sl is tastier by the minute.
i checked the axle to crown and it isnt that bad if it has the 155mm travel its supposed to, my white is 500mm but has 30mm less travel so ithe 150sl at 536 axle to crown is only 6mm taller.

now if it werent for that stupid qr20thing...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by vitox
rilly?

hm, that 150sl is tastier by the minute.
i checked the axle to crown and it isnt that bad if it has the 155mm travel its supposed to, my white is 500mm but has 30mm less travel so ithe 150sl at 536 axle to crown is only 6mm taller.

now if it werent for that stupid qr20thing...
there's more than a few people on mtbr that have weighed them, even weighed z150sl forks on the same day and same scale, the Z150SL is about 2 oz lighter than the firefly.

If the firefly 20mm really was 4.8lbs, I'd be interested, but with that much beef on a fork (volume of material) it's pretty hard.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Jm_
there's more than a few people on mtbr that have weighed them, even weighed z150sl forks on the same day and same scale, the Z150SL is about 2 oz lighter than the firefly.

If the firefly 20mm really was 4.8lbs, I'd be interested, but with that much beef on a fork (volume of material) it's pretty hard.
I really want a 4.5(max) lb 20mm fox vanilla type of fork. Kind of like the older Z1s (2002 and before), but a big stiffer and more rigid chassi, hopefully they are just around the corner.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Does the ECC5 on the Z150SL actually work? What do the 5 different settings do? My issue with the ETA on my Z150 is that it doesn't seem to do anything at all on climbs but then when I forget to turn it back and take my first "hit" it finally engages, right when I don't want it to. As a result I never use the ETA anymore.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Does the ECC5 on the Z150SL actually work? What do the 5 different settings do? My issue with the ETA on my Z150 is that it doesn't seem to do anything at all on climbs but then when I forget to turn it back and take my first "hit" it finally engages, right when I don't want it to. As a result I never use the ETA anymore.
marzocchis air forks have a simpler setup that combines ECC with the damping cartridge. The ECC is the lock-down that is similer to what they had in 2002, the 5-position thing is the damping settings, so its not as adjustable directly as a Z1 or Z150 or Marathon S, but between the 5 settings and selecting the right oil weight, I don't think it would be a problem. Ask on mtbr, there are a good number of Z150SL users there.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
ETA is designed to be manually pressed down, you have to flick the lever then physically get up over your bars and press the front end down. It will lock into place and stay until you flick the lever. It works as a geometry fix, but the 30mm of top out spring travel is hardly useful. TALAS or U-Turn or Dial-Up are much more adjustable systems. I Would recommend you hold out and get a Manitou Nixon, it is their answer for 2005 to the 6" single crown. It is available in either 20mm or QR, and it has infinite remote handlebar mounted travel adjustability. It is supposed to weigh only 4.1lbs. It is basically what you are asking for, because it has 32mm stanchions like a Sherman but a 1.125" (1 1/8") steer tube. The lightest Nixon is going to run about $600. A coil sprung Nixon will most likely be offered also at a lower price.

has anyone thought about seriously dumping the DC fork for a 6"+ SC fork for DH racing???

i was thinkin about doing that this season...but went with a 1.125" headtube frame

but maybe when the nixon comes out, i'll try it. it seems to have better valving and weight to the Z150

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by GiantDHRider
has anyone thought about seriously dumping the DC fork for a 6"+ SC fork for DH racing???

i was thinkin about doing that this season...but went with a 1.125" headtube frame

but maybe when the nixon comes out, i'll try it. it seems to have better valving and weight to the Z150

umm i dunno about the nixon, its got that adjuster thingy that opens up the cartridges and thereby i think it has to live without pos/neg air adjustability which is a really cool feature about dual air forks.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
IMO, the Nixon is not really a comparable fork to the z150 (though maybe to the SL). Its an air sprung, 'long travel enduro' fork designed for an air sprung rear shock all-mountain bike. The z150 is more of a 'freeride' fork designed for bigger drops and more 'xtreme' riding. (the SL might bridge the gap, though). Not to bash the nixon at all, just saying that depending on what kind of riding you do it might not be the fork for you. Manitou alreay has the flick/breakout series, and from what I have heard the Nixon will be in a different vein. Personally, I am happy with my z150 FR, the ETA is very usefull on the not-so-technical fireroad climbs around hereabouts.