Quantcast

1.5" headset reducer removal

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Bought a used frame with a 1.5" HT. Numb-nuts who owned it before me pressed in a set of generic cheapo 1.5>>1-1/8" reducer cups. I can't use a standard headset with it because my steerer is too short. (have e.13 zerostack cups instead)

Tried this hitting it with a hammer and this:

but it refuses to budge.

Any tips?

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Btw... I don't have the 1-1/4"-1.5" Park headset remover. (Otherwise, I'd use that obviously).

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
Yo ray, i have always used the 1 1/8 removal tool for my 1.5's and have not had any probs.

But, i have always put the headsets i remove in myself, and greased them good (i think i learned that from you)

PO might not have been so smart

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
I had those style cups in my Banshee Rune before I got my current fork, and they were a BITCH, even with plenty of grease in there.

the remover is probably jumping around a bit when you smash it. Maybe a big drift and alternate sides?

I use a 1/18 removal tool as you have above but have splayed out the ends of it more so it's tight in the head set and bingo a few good knocks and it's out. Best way is to get some one else to hold the frame while you give it a few hits.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Thanks all for the tips.

I'm not entirely sure how much grease this guy put on these cups before he pressed 'em in... Fack, if anything, it feels like he doused it with loctite... :mad:

The hacksaw/dremel has been considered already. Seems a bit too risky... [for now]

I sprayed a little Liquid Wrench on it... maybe that'll help??

I figured this was a good time to order a Park 1.5" removal tool, so I'll report back once that comes. (it'll be another few days before I have the time to work on my bike again... :( )

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i usually get them out with the 1 1/8th park remover. Usually requires a lot of violence but they all give in in the end. You need to hold the frame against something solid. Our workbench in the shop has a pretty thick wooden edge which i usually park the frame against so it won't get marked. Don't think I've ever managed to get one out when the frame has been in a bike stand. They just move round way to much and all your energy is wasted on the frame moving.