Quantcast

1.5" headset

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Well I have broken my old frame and it looks like I can get a decent deal on a Banshee Legend, Only problem is I need a new headset. I have Boxxer teams so just a standard 1 1/8" steerer tube, whats my best bet? I had E13 cups when I had a Sunday but it doesn't look like I can get them any more so what is pretty much the same as them?

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Pffft! Even better:

Syncros FBI Internal zero-stack reducer. Designed on the Shore for the Shore (and Whistler).

Bottom bearing is a brute of a tapered roller (Timken - like the wheel bearings in your pickup). 20mm-deep cups.

From personal experience I have to say that head set is not worth the money for a few reasons. The lower cup will RUST and fast. The lower steel cup is not clear coated and will start to rust fast and make removal a pain in the ass. also they have a flimsy lower crown race. Gets beat up and bent really easy. Only really an issue if you plan on changing forks.

Save your cash and get something else. I've had good luck with Cane Creek's and FSA's reducer headsets.

Last edited:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
From personal experience I have to say that head set is not worth the money for a few reasons. The lower cup will RUST and fast. The lower steel cup is not clear coated and will start to rust fast and make removal a pain in the ass. also they have a flimsy lower crown race. Gets beat up and bent really easy. Only really an issue if you plan on changing forks.
My experience was quite different. I worried because the lower cup is all steel - - essentially a Timken outer race like you'd find in a car brake drum. BUT - - I greased the whole thing well before initial assembly and it never rusted the two years it was in my Blindside frame. I knocked it out a few weeks ago (methodically with a drift punch no less) to install in my 303R frame and it was still like new. Granted they are a b!tch to install: you need a real headset press, a lot of muscle and a few well-placed plastic mallet whacks to coax it along. But once it's in it will not let you down.

The part of the crown race that is fragile is not the race itself but the metal bonded to the rubber seal (Timkens are not cartridge). You CAN bugger it if you are trying to take it off to put on another fork - - especially if you ham-fist it with a screwdriver blade. You have to start it off with a very flat tool (putty knife or similar) and work your way around to ease it off. If you do dent it (I did), the metal is malleable and can be flattened back out so the seal will seat properly. Just takes a bit of patience.

You want your bike to be light right?
Point taken. FBI lower is heavy. But giving up a few ounces for no-holds-barred durability? I'll save weight elsewhere.