Quantcast

1 and 1/9th steerer tube?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
ok so i bent the steerer tube on my 66VF, i got it replaced. i rode it for about 2 days before the stem started slipping on every single bump i hit. it wasnt bad so i put up with it for a day, i tightened it and its not better, it wasnt even loose... so i try another 2 stems, same thing, wtf?

am i stupid or is this not supposed to be possible?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Strange, no problems with mine, did you tighten it up by hand, or use a torque wrench? also might want to try cleaning the steerer with some type of degreaser to make sure there is no grease on the steerer itself before putting them stem on.

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
actually im pretty sure your top picture is metal "stock" anyways the persuader isnt anywhere near as thick as your metal bar

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I've seen that happen quite a bit actually. Almost always with Thomson stems (sometimes others). To solve it you can rub the inside of the stem in vertical strokes with 80 grit sand paper, but don't get crazy, you just want to rough it up. In addition you can use a razor to score vertical lines on the inside of the stem.

be350ka

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
Well, I think it is safe to say that it was a little joke since his stem was slipping on a 1 1/8 steerer. For ref. 1 1/9 is smaller than 1 1/8:lighten: Thus the joke.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
the stem is moving side to side, (think x up with the wheel not moving), the top cap is on and it is not hitting the steerer. what i just do not understand is the slipping, i mean that stem is really kcufing tight!

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
did you ever think that you might have stripped out the clamping bolts on your stem. i mean using a cheater bar to tighten those things down is deffinatly a recipe for disaster man. if that isnt what it is then try all the abbrassion techniques the other guys gave you.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Without having it in front of me i do not have a good "Answer" for why your stem keeps coming loose, specially seeing how its been more than one stem. My only suggestion would be to rouch up the steerer and the inside of the stem, USE A TORQUE WRENCH and other than that, make sure you havent stripped the stem

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Also check that the new steerer is not spinning in the crown. While it's unlikely since it was just replaced, it can happen. If it is, I would play it safe and just replace the entire steerer/crown/stanchion assembly rather than risking having another faulty steerer pressed in.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
ok, the stem is not stripped that is the first thing i checked, i will see if its spinning because i could see that happening, also tomorow ill get it rough

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You never said what type of stem you had. Is it a pinch bolt type with a slot? My bet is that it is. The slot on the stem is too small and the 2 sides are touching, making the bolt feel tight without clamping the steerer.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You never said what type of stem you had. Is it a pinch bolt type with a slot? My bet is that it is. The slot on the stem is too small and the 2 sides are touching, making the bolt feel tight without clamping the steerer.
or the stem is stretched/bent from over-tightening..causing the same issue.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Alloy or steel steerer tube? There is the possibility that you've crushed the steerer tube after tightening down the stem so much. Grab a micrometer and go to town checking diameters. Compare to another fork that you know isn't crushed.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
yeah, what the last two guys said. Another trick on Thompson stems is to smear a little loctite on the steerer tube, then slide it on.
And damn, dude. You don't need a cheater bar to tighten anything on a bicycle! You've def got a crushed steerer tube(or is a "bar" since it's bored out, Pinkshirt?) and/or a stretched stem. Shame on you for killing innocent bike parts!

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
its a deity stem, forgot to mention that, the other stem i tryed was a truvativ. i did not use the cheater bar until after dealing with the problem for 2 days. *i was not the original person to put this stem on this bike* my bike shop did, i am not denying that i could have broken it-i just do not think i did

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I had a Deity stem slipping like hell. I had accidentally gotten some grease on the thing. Just go de-grease the stem and steertube (while its on the bike, so you don't grease it up again going thru the frame) and then rub the stem gently with some sandpaper and wipe it clean.

That fixed it for me.

EDIT: Also, you def don't need a beater bar to tighten the stem, so make sure you haven't stretched your stem shut. People do it to forks all the time.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I had a Deity stem slipping like hell. I had accidentally gotten some grease on the thing. Just go de-grease the stem and steertube (while its on the bike, so you don't grease it up again going thru the frame) and then rub the stem gently with some sandpaper and wipe it clean.

That fixed it for me.

EDIT: Also, you def don't need a beater bar to tighten the stem, so make sure you haven't stretched your stem shut. People do it to forks all the time.

There isnt a part anywhere on any bike that would require a cheater bar, or even very significant manual effort for that matter.

This really sounds like a goofed up steerer tube - wither undersized to begin with (WTH?!) or crushed somehow. Stop messing with it and get it replaced again!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Imagine Arnold S say 'Micrometer'

hysterical

MYKWOMMEDDUH!

How much is a decent one? BAH, enough with the tool lust until I have a garage (or a basement) - Ill just use the one in the shop.