Quantcast

10 months to build, 10 days to destroy...

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
RIP to the spot. The cops rolled up last friday. Turns out building trails on federal property is illegal... We were told we had ten days to wreck everything and vacate the premises or face community service and tresspassing charges.

Before:

After:

some shots from the last few days of riding, plus some old ones. Everything pictured is destroyed as of this morning.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Its only illegal if you don't hve permission,going in renegade style like you did in the post 9/11 is just silly, you realize you could've had the book thrown at you.

Land access for trails is a serious issue, and doing it illegally hurts you and everyone one else looking for a place to ride, its illegal trails like yours that give Mountain bikers a bad rap. Going bandit style and land squatting in some federal trails will make you few friends within the local, state & federal land commisions

However if you take the time to organize and approach this issue as a block of voting taxpayers, you may actually have a chance to have some Federal land at your disposal (it can also work in local and state levels too.) I know here in Arkansas actually got approval to build a trail system on an active Army base! they are organized, and more importantly they have assumed accountability for there members.

While living in Chicago we where losing trail access left and right until a local riders club got organized, cleaned up their image a bit and started lobbying, within a few years trails started to re-open and a better cycling community evolved. I realize that politics probally aren't on your agenda, but it becomes neccesary to learn the dark ways if you want legal trail access.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
MunkeeHucker said:
Its only illegal if you don't hve permission,going in renegade style like you did in the post 9/11 is just silly, you realize you could've had the book thrown at you.

There's not enough people here to organize anything, not to mention there's no way we were gonna get permission to build trails on airport property. It was renegade trails or no trails at all. I'll choose the former.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
the Inbred said:
who alerted the pigs?

--edit--

MunkeeHucker posted what i was thinking.
We're not sure who alerted them, one of the businesses that's property bordered the spot I think. It was only a matter of time, I thought we were in the clear after this long though. The cops were reasonable and weren't dicks other than making us wreck our own stuff. I wish they just plowed it so as not to add insult to injury.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
the Inbred said:
who alerted the pigs?

--edit--

MunkeeHucker posted what i was thinking.
Prolly some groms mother after he/she crashed and injured themselves. Or the ambulance crew member that had to hike a mile into the woods to rescue that grom. Or maybe a surprised land manager that came across those stunts and was worried he would lose his plush job if he knowingly allowed those guys to continue building stunts in his juristriction. Maybe it was a concerned citizen that has respect for the land, something those guys obviously didn't have as witnessed by all those cut logs.

I am sure the land they selfishly altered was returned back to its original state...:think: IMO opinion they got off lucky by not going to jail. They however seem to have learned a lesson and prolly will not build anymore stunts without permission.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
jdcamb said:
Prolly some groms mother after he/she crashed and injured themselves. Or the ambulance crew member that had to hike a mile into the woods to rescue that grom. Or maybe a surprised land manager that came across those stunts and was worried he would lose his plush job if he knowingly allowed those guys to continue building stunts in his juristriction. Maybe it was a concerned citizen that has respect for the land, something those guys obviously didn't have as witnessed by all those cut logs.

I am sure the land they selfishly altered was returned back to its original state...:think: IMO opinion they got off lucky by not going to jail. They however seem to have learned a lesson and prolly will not build anymore stunts without permission.

Pretty much wrong on all counts. Nobody but me, james, and our personal guests rode at the spot.

Second, the spot was a dumping ground when we found it. A place for rednecks to dump their yardwaste....hence all the logs that we DIDN'T chop down, merely moved them from their piles into landings and takeoffs.

Third, no land managers ever found it, it was airport security, these trails are in the woods about a mile from the runway at GSP airport. The cops obviously had to do something about it once it was reported, which was most likely because of the increased traffic in and out of the woods as we were there more often. They probably thought we were growing bud or cooking meth or something.

If turning a landfill into bike trails is a crime....I'm guilty, but I didn't chop those logs and nobody ever got hurt on our trails. As far as a lesson, I learned not to get too attached to spots that can be taken away, but that doesn't mean I'm done building.

Had we not ridden on these trails for the last 10 months, we probably wouldn't have ridden much at all. I guess we're criminals, but we probably rode a lot more than most of ya'll did.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
T-Pirate said:
There's not enough people here to organize anything, not to mention there's no way we were gonna get permission to build trails on airport property. It was renegade trails or no trails at all. I'll choose the former.
Come don't give up, your group doesn't have to by large, just organized, and if its well organized your numbers will seem larger.
The Trails in Arkansas are at Camp Robinson, oh and by the way some of the trails run parallel to an Army Airfield, so your point about the airport is moot. This is a time in yours and your friends life where you can make a stand and actually have a say in what goes on in your life or you can whimper, whine and sneak of in the middle of the night to find a new pissing spot (by you posts you seem to be in favor of the latter)

You mentioned how the area was a dumping ground, this is a very important point you could bring up, that having a biking presence would greatly reduce the negative traffic in the area, and you would also alert authorities if you came across a meth lab or whatever.
One of the major ways to get aproval in land use is for the governing bodies to see your group as an asset, not a liability.
Its your world your call......

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sorry Andrew,
I know exactly how you feel.
Its obvious these cats do not know exactly the kind of spot this place was. It was a junk field. If anything these guys cleaned it up and made it look better. It backed up to some industrial businesses and their was a ton of litter.
Anyway, I know how much time you guys had invested out there,
and it sucks. Feels the same way I did when they put a neighborhood my our trails.
Dude, I know it is not as close, but I have cleared some woods and cut the logs already for my "spot" that is on MY land.
It will be permanent. If you guys wanna help that is cool.
You can ride their whenever you want.
Its at the junction of I-26 and Hwy. 11
Later, JR

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
T-Pirate said:
Pretty much wrong on all counts. Nobody but me, james, and our personal guests rode at the spot.
I was clearly only speculating.

T-Pirate said:
Second, the spot was a dumping ground when we found it. A place for rednecks to dump their yardwaste....hence all the logs that we DIDN'T chop down, merely moved them from their piles into landings and takeoffs.
But it wasn't your dump. And you didn't have permission to move those logs or for that matter to even step foot on that property.

T-Pirate said:
If turning a landfill into bike trails is a crime....I'm guilty, but I didn't chop those logs and nobody ever got hurt on our trails. As far as a lesson, I learned not to get too attached to spots that can be taken away, but that doesn't mean I'm done building.
I think you need to go here before you even remotely consider building anymore trails or stunts. http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/Statutes/Statutes.asp It seems they take personal and private property laws a lot more seriously in NC then they do here in NY. You seem like a good kid and have a lot of talent with that camera and on your bike. You can do neither in jail or dead. Think about your future.

T-Pirate said:
Had we not ridden on these trails for the last 10 months, we probably wouldn't have ridden much at all. I guess we're criminals, but we probably rode a lot more than most of ya'll did.
I ride almost everyday. So I doubt that.....

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i've had to ditch trails i had spent lots of time on. basically when its not your property, and you don't have permission, you should expect to see the demise of your trails. It always sucks though. hope you get back to digging soon man

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
biker3 said:
****ty news Mueller. Keep on building, thats the only way to be a mutha truckin renagade. All these ultra conservative IMBA muthas can lick it long and righteously.
So your momma (maybe your foster momma) bought you video games instead of teaching you respect. So sad. After all she was busy working doubles down at dennys so she could have enough beer and cigarette money for your "uncles". Don't worry someone will come along and teach you some someday. I bet you and your homeys representin' in your housing tract/complex/trailer park are pimpin' it on your stylin' rigs. By the way when the **** goes down hot and heavy down in your hood do you nextel your moms to come and pick you up or do you just ride really fast away from the big kids so they don't see you crying again......

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Y'all got off lucky, you should be happy. Why didn't you buy a bulldozer to do the work. Oh yeah, bulldozers cost money.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Legal trails are easy to get and just as easy to build. Not only will they stay put, but you will get credit for the work as well.

That sucks that you got shut down. But the Blackrock Freeride Association started out as 3 dudes and look at what they have started in Falls City. Size doesn't matter, organization does.

http://blackrockfreeride.org/mx/index.php

Here in Forest Grove, the city dedicated an area (and dirt too) for building dirt jumps next to the skate park. There is also a spot in Beaverton that was sponsored by the city. it's easy to do and will pay off when you don't have to tear it out 10 months later.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
biker3 said:
****ty news Mueller. Keep on building, thats the only way to be a mutha truckin renagade. All these ultra conservative IMBA muthas can lick it long and righteously.
hey and while you guys are at it, why not get imba and all mountain biking organizations shut down! that way you are free to build where you like until we lose all of the trails we know and love to motorized vehicles and developments! man you guys are just such badasses! :rolleyes:

biker3

Turbo Monkey
gnurider1080 said:
hey and while you guys are at it, why not get imba and all mountain biking organizations shut down! that way you are free to build where you like until we lose all of the trails we know and love to motorized vehicles and developments! man you guys are just such badasses! :rolleyes:
HAHAHA, it was a joke you fool. You and JDcamb should get a grip and relax.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
if that was a joke, it's not a funny one.:mad: At least not to those of us who spend hours in meetings, writing letters, kissing butt to government officials and doing what ever else it takes :banghead: :banghead: to keep trails open, promote legal trail building, getting legal free ride parks in ad nausuem, so that ****ers like you have a place to ride that won't get torn up. What have YOU done lately to promote legal trails?

gg

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
biker3 said:

Couldn't of said it better myself.

I can't speak for the rest of ya'll but I would much rather build some pirate trails then sitting in a meetings for three years to get one trail approved.

Plus, if you live in rual ass area with a few heads that ride, you don't have to worry about losing trail access because you don't have any trails. Its the same deal here.

We have a conservitive bunch of ridemonkey, dont we?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
conservative, i don't know. older and not so prone to making stupid decisions that screw up trail access for the community at large, yes.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Toshi said:
conservative, i don't know. older and not so prone to making stupid decisions that screw up trail access for the community at large, yes.
wah wah, don't try and tell me T-pirate building however many thousands of miles away from you in Gville will have any effect. It was on a POS piece of land owned by the airport. We aren't talking National Forest or a state park or something. It wasnt even "trail" per say, it was a few jumps and berms in MAYBE a total of 2-3 acres. I've ridden there and it was by no means an elaborate bench cut, runoff prone, wooden stunt fest with trees being cut down. He accepted the consequences and took responsibility by dealing with it? Its not like he's begging for sympathy.

Too many people on here have no lives, and love to jump in on everyone else's to get their Cop Boner fix.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, I guess I dont see the big deal. A couple kids building bike jumps in the woods. Thats what kids do.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
chicodude said:
Couldn't of said it better myself.

I can't speak for the rest of ya'll
That would primarily be because you can't speak.... Stay in school is my advice. Atleast until the 8th grade Skippy. Your so ghetto by the way. :think:
That and I would sorta have to agree with you on one point. You might not get very far in any sort of meeting.

chicodude said:
We have a conservitive bunch of ridemonkey, dont we?
It kind of counters the idiots we have on here from time to time....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, I guess I dont see the big deal. A couple kids building bike jumps in the woods. Thats what kids do.
kid eats ****, breaks arm, parents get pissed at City...what would the end result be, versus a legal trail?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
jdcamb said:
That would primarily be because you can't speak.... Stay in school is my advice. Atleast until the 8th grade Skippy. Your so ghetto by the way. :think:
That and I would sorta have to agree with you on one point. You might not get very far in any sort of meeting.

OOhhhh, I used slang on the internet, thus I must be retarded.

Whatever. That was a brillant show of how much of a tool you are.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I can understand why you built those trails, and I understand why you had to tear them down. What I don't understand is why some of you are being so pissy about it. Its just kids being kids, come on lets face it if you don't have much pull in a community you probably aren't going to take the initiative to try and get legal areas to build. What are you going to say, you aren't a tax payer so that angle is out of the question. They didn't tear up some nice hiking trails, they didn't make it too trafficed, and they cleaned it up when asked. I don't see much of a story here, maybe its just me.