Quantcast

10 Speed X7 anyone?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i do admit it is interesting to see SRAM expanding their crank offerings.

And hubs too. Especially cartridge bearing hubs that this level.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think it's cool. It's funny how awesome this stuff (mid level) always looks when it first comes out, then you eventually start to see all of the little corners that have been cut. I'm not ragging on sram, it's just how the trickle down stuff works.

That being said, I'm getting stoked to try 1x10 with a 36 cog, I think all but the steepest climbs will be managable for AM. Not only that, I can try it cheap(er)!
Any word if 11x36 will be offered (at any level)?

PS- those cranks look cool

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
As its posted, in the DH forum, I'll make the obligatory "for DH? retarded." statement.

But seriously, its not marketed for that, and it looks fycking rad. entry level 10 speed is sick for XC and AM. 1x9 is radder then 2x9, and 1x10 is radder then 1x9 for pedal bikes. Props to sram, looks good.

And that carbon caged der looks steezy as hell

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
SRAM stuff is cheap. I have a brand new x-9 derailleur with a bent limit screw. Really? How do you bend a limit screw?

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
When will this hit the shelves at my LBS? I think I'll be building a trail bike this summer anyone want to guess if the E.13 guidering that I already have will be compatible with a 10 speed chain? I'm thinking 1x10 drivetrain on a 5 inch bike will be a nice all-rounder to compliment the big bike.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
SRAM stuff is cheap. I have a brand new x-9 derailleur with a bent limit screw. Really? How do you bend a limit screw?
Are you sure its not a fudged up plastic insert that the limit screws into? I've seen that before on one of my rear mechs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd consider that a feature. Stick or rock grabs derailleur and slams it into the limit screw. Would you prefer to have something not really cheap and easily replaced bend?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Nope
Nope
and Of course.

Its the upper limit screw that is bent and its bent inside the cage. Not where it sticks outside the cage towards the screw head. The plastic insert is straight. I've fudged those many time before.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
"available in short cage". now that right there would make it relevant for DH. Will it accept a 9 sp. chain though?

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
relevant for dh...nothing with 10speeds and a carbon cage is relevant for DH besides fanboys drooling on the internet. no thank you, ma'am.

I took my 8 speed bike out for a ride the other day. cleaned the dirt off, shot some lube on, and it shifted quick and crisp up and down. No adjustments since it was first set up a year ago. Good luck with this piece...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I'm getting stoked to try 1x10 with a 36 cog.
Cuz removing a 26T ring from the low, central, suspended part of your bike and adding a 36T ring to the end of the swingarm will make it better? The reasoning behind these big cassettes is just stupid. Run 2 or 3 chainrings if you need a gear spread and keep your cassette as small and light as possible.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Cuz removing a 26T ring from the low, central, suspended part of your bike and adding a 36T ring to the end of the swingarm will make it better? The reasoning behind these big cassettes is just stupid. Run 2 or 3 chainrings if you need a gear spread and keep your cassette as small and light as possible.

LOL :rofl:

Keeping the added weight difference between a 36t and 26t cog off the end of my swingarm is a weaksauce argument against the bigger spread.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Still not convinced of 10speed's benefit to me, but hoping that crank implies that SRAM will be making 2-piece, external BB downhill cranks soon.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Why? 2 rings, each used with half the cassette, results in a better chainline & wider gear spread. The E13 DRS holds the chain as well as single ring guides.
Also the above mentioned placement of weight.
1x10 for the type trail riding I do will be perfect.

When I started MTB riding in 17 years ago we used get ear plugs, push a hole through them length ways and zip tie them inside the cage of the mech. The chain wouldnt fall off and it was much quieter.

I hate front mechs, granny gears and 2x9.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
LOL :rofl:

Keeping the added weight difference between a 36t and 26t cog off the end of my swingarm is a weaksauce argument against the bigger spread.
You failed at reading comprehension.
It's not the weight difference of a 36 & 26 since you're not removing anything from the cassette, it's the weight of the 36 that you're adding.
Also, you get LESS spread running an 11-36, 38 than an 11-32, 26/38.

The point is that adding big gears to the cassette so that you can remove small ones from the crank is dumb and counter productive. Why the hate for front derailleurs? The only argument I've heard for 10spd is reducing the number of chainrings but without explaining why you'd want to remove chainrings.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
It's not the weight difference of a 36 & 26 since you're not removing anything from the cassette, it's the weight of the 36 that you're adding.

The point is that adding big gears to the cassette so that you can remove small ones from the crank is dumb and counter productive. Why the hate for front derailleurs? The only argument I've heard for 10spd is reducing the number of chainrings but without explaining why you'd want to remove chainrings.
All I can say is... Stop hating it untill you put some miles on it. Its a pretty damn good AM setup actually.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've dropped chains on multiple occasions with the following dual ring guides:

E13 DRS
Blackspire stinger
LRP

I also hate stomping on the pedals out of a corner and finding the chain isn't the right place.

I really like the idea of a guide in front (or HS) and NOT having a front der.

If you've had good luck with them, cool, good for you, but I have not, and want something different.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

The point is that adding big gears to the cassette so that you can remove small ones from the crank is dumb and counter productive.
You know what else is dumb? Overlapping gear ratios and two completely seperate shifting mechanisms. I'm pretty sure the weight difference of a 26t vs a 36t is less than the weight of a front derailleur. Rear mechs shift faster, more reliably than fronts, and not having to make decisions about which mechanism to use or which equivalent ratio to ride is pretty damn nice.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Well, that's a great point. I'm sure my suspension will stop working from all of that unsprung weight. But I don't think that you are completely aware of why one would go 1x10. First, I like the idea of simplicity. Second, it's one less thing to go wrong on the bike (front der.) Third, I would be reducing my gear spread slightly, but i think it's worth it for the simplicity and reliability. Fourth, I like how chainguides are generally quieter on the trail. If my bike is clanky from a front derailleur, it makes my ride feel crappy (even if it's all mental). Fifth, I don't think anyone knows for sure (yet) the exact weight gains/losses by doing this setup, but I'm not too worried about that. As far as I know, the high end 10 speeds are at least competitive with high end 9 speeds.
And finally I want to do this just to make people like you mad:rant::thumb:

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
12-36 cassette has less range than 11-34 cassette. 11-36 or they can keep it, though I would prefer 8 or 9sp than 10.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Is there an issue with the chain strength? Are the 10-speed chains thinner (weaker)?
roadies have been using 10speed for years with no problems. granted, they are riding on the road, but they still see more usage than most mtb chains
Nothing wrong with strength with ten speed, jus tlike there was nothing wrong with strength on nine speed, its the same deal as when we went from 8 to 9 speed... the links are the same, the rollers are a bit narrower, pins are a bit shorter, overall, its just narrower, strength will be the same.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
May I remind you, this is the DH section.
On that note, more gears has no bennefit for DH, and for trail riding, more gears also is'nt needed, I ride 8 or 6 speed, the 6 surely doesn't always have the perfect gear, but it still has as much range as this ten(11-32 or 34), my 8s 11-34).
Give us a good 6 speed FFS.