Quantcast

10 speed?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It seems like Shimano is really pushing this. Perhaps Campy is too.

Why?

How many gears do you think is reasonable and sufficient? I have 8 and it seems fine by me.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The human body has a narrow power band. We feel good within a very narrow rpm range. The closer together you can get the gears the better for riding. For racing, it's even more important. If you ever raced back in the day of 5 speeds you'd know the pain of missing that certain gear. It's certainly less of a pronounced affect going from say 9 speed to 10 than 5 to 6 was. 7 was amazing as one could get a decent range and not give up top end or bottom end and sacrifice a couple large jumps between cogs.

Of course no one needs 10 speeds. Hell no one needs a fancy bike. We could all do fine with single speed coaster bikes. We just like to do better.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am a firm believer in the 10 speed cassette. I have an 11/21 for racing and an 11/23 for everyday riding. I still have a 6 speed from 1984 (Suntour Superbe Pro - yea baby!) and, while I am really not any slower on that bike (because of the 56 ring) it just tears my legs up if I race on it. The ratio transisition shreds your quads.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Serial Midget
The ratio transisition shreds your quads.
Seriously? The change is still too drastic on a 9-speed for you? If they came out with a 12-speed, you'd want that? Seriously, just asking.

Originally posted by Silver
That would give Opie....3x10, carry the one, divide by the square of pi....

30 gears! :devil:
I'm working on a quad-front in my workshop. Y'all be green with envy when I'm sporting my new set up :blah:

EDIT: 30 gears would be a misnomer... I don't cross-chain. And how do I educate my friends without sounding like an obnoxious know-it-all. One buddy regularly goes small ring to small ring :(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by LordOpie
Seriously? The change is still too drastic on a 9-speed for you? If they came out with a 12-speed, you'd want that? Seriously, just asking.
Um... I was referring to my old 6 speed freewheel VS my current 10 speed cassette. Prior to the 10 speed I had a an 8 speed cassette and yes - there is a difference. Maybe not for everyday riding but when it time to keep the hammer down you'd notice the difference.

The Jinx

I'm an angel
Apr 22, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
To me, as long as I have my sweet spot gears, it should work fine for me.

To some extend, if you have 1 wheelset, I strongly suggest for 10 speed as U will use your bike for all rounder.

I'm like Serial Midget, love the 10speed.

To Shimano and Campy ::: MORE GEARS PLEASE!!! :)

Regards
sbw

Nitromike

Monkey
May 14, 2004
Some ghetto in Houston
I'd be very happy with 9 speed if they would make a 11x21 and a 11x23 almost straight block like the 12x21 Dura Ace, as it is though I'll be swapping to 10 speed after this season.

-B-

Chimp
As a racer who started with 5 it is just a great thing to have 10 now. I can keep my cadence at a constant tempo. The riding of steep climbs with long stretches in the flats. Gone are the days of compromising on gearing for different terrain. One set of 10 now replaces 3-4 different combos for training and racing, it brings the KISS to gearing now.