Quantcast

10 speeeeeeeed

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Yo guys,

I'm trying to figure out this whole 10 speed phenomenon. I see that they're made with short, medium and long cage offerings which is nice, but the cranksets are what confuse me. Do the cranks need to be 10 speed specific? I want to use a double on the bike I'm building in a couple weeks, but those don't accomodate bash guards because they're double ring specific. Getting a triple would require me to buy a bash and middle ring separately, which would suck. Let me know what others are/are planning on doing.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
the rings need to be 10sp, as they are narrower to accommodate the narrower chain

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Or..... You could order a ten speed set with two rings and a bash.... they are available now, just need to call around a bit see what people have for an offering.

Like Joker said though, its about the rings, not the cranks....

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The rings are the same. They say they are specific, but they are the same.
Besides, we all ran 9sp on 8sp rings for years in the late 90's.
Edit, get the SLX with the bash and 2 rings. The gearing is perfect. A first for Shimano.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
according to Shimano here in the UK, the 10 speed Shimano mountain bike "Dynasys" has a unique chain pitch which also means the cassette, chainrings and derailleur

this means you cannot use 10 speed Shimano Mtn groupset parts with 10 speed Shimano road or 10 speed SRAM anything...and 10 speed Shimano Mtn will not work with current chain devices if the chain device has a pulley wheel

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I asked about this over in the e.thirteen forum and Phil said that some of the WC racers were running 10spd gear on their bikes last year with the regular e.thirteen guiderings.

If it's good enough for Peaty, it's good enough for me!

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I asked about this over in the e.thirteen forum and Phil said that some of the WC racers were running 10spd gear on their bikes last year with the regular e.thirteen guiderings.

If it's good enough for Peaty, it's good enough for me!

this is where SRAM will win the 10 speed war?

any of the guys like Peaty sponsored by SRAM and running 10 speed have no issues

its if you try and run Shimano Mountain Bike 10 speed on current 9 speed components, you will have the trouble, according to UK shimano importer Madison Cycles

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
screw it, is 10 speed really worth it? Projected availability date is August 18th, and i just can't decide if the additional cost will really make for a "better experience". has anyone ridden this stuff yet?

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
yes. and i think that you don't need a double setup with a 10spd rear. unless of course you have some really gnarly climbs.

get a 12-34 cassette and run a 34 or 36 ring. 1x10 should provide you with plenty of gears and then you can run a normal crankset with lg1 type protection.

but this is just my opinion.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
been to a shimano night about all the new 10 speed stuff and yes you do need new cranks for the shimano 10 speed stuff, even the derailures are specifc 10 speeds as they use different tensioning or something. The whole groupset has been redesigned with different pitching etc.
Sram on the other hand, im pretty sure can use any type of ring.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I guess this also means you can't do the usual and run a SRAM chain with a Shimano cassette if you want 10 speed, bit of a failure on Shimano's part then.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I have been on an XX 12-36 cassette, XX derailleur, and a 10 speed X9 shifter for a couple months and you really need to keep your stuff running perfect or it skips a lot. I am not convinced but I like the cassette.