Quantcast

100mm cranks on an 83mm BB?

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Is this possible?

I'm a bit stuck for cranks choices at the moment, everyone is out of 83mm 165's I want, but I can get the 100's.

I'm just a little concerned it might be too much, even with a spacer arrangement & potential chainline issues.

Anyone done it?

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
A little resurrecting. I am experiencing the same dilemma. I have a spare set of 165mm holzfellers and a 83mm howitzer laying around, but it is so tempting to take the 100mm Race Face FR's from CRC. The ankle clearance would be a big plus imo. Also I don't find the chainline a problem as I run a reduced 9-speed 11-23t cogset (11-13-16-19-23) + spacers on the upper side. The only real problem would probably be the chain device spacing. Anyone tried this (8.5mm offset) with an e13lg?

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how the does crank length effect the bottom bracket spacing?

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
bballboy388: He's talking about BB spacing, 100mm is also a BB-width.

I would suggest you wait until 83mm sets are available again, spacing the 100mm to fit (even if it may) will suck.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Hey miuan,
Your simplest option would be to mount the guide up with the included ISCG adapter, only you flip it outward. This will essentially start you off with 5mm of spacers. From there, just add two black 2.25mm spacers to get to 7.5mm, and then try to get ahold of some disc brake caliper spacers to fine tune the last little bit. Most bike shops should have a good number of these, or you can use M6 spacers.

Thanks!
-philip @ e*thirteen

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Not to go against e13's word, but a lot of us with ISCG mounts don't want to run our chainguides BB mounted.

So for miuan (if you're like this too), then I'd just space the 8.5mm directly from your ISCG mounts. You can use the disc brake caliper spacers as suggested above, and I'd definitely use longer bolts that engage all the thread of the mounts. The sunday uses about 4.5mm of spacing by default, so 8.5mm probably isn't ridiculous.

Keep in mind that some bikes have weaker ISCG mounts than others, specialized and ironhorse frames have reasonably beefy setups, while others (usually smaller brands) like intense/turner/santacruz have simpler and likely less durable implementations. It's up to you what you do. SC for example don't warranty their frames if used with a taco.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Yeah Udi, I heard the story about V10 for our local dealer. My frame is a 09 Wilson. The guide will come with the frame (ISCG05) so I'll have no bb mount adapter either. I will also get a taco stock but probably won't use it at all due to possible fragility of the mount. Although, being stock on the bike, I believe Devinci know what they're doing. Thanks for your help guys!