Quantcast

10mm X 135 QR or Axlw through???? What preference!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Im looking to buying an AM/FR rig at some point and have some questions considering I havent run this and its one of the questions that will eventually come into play!

With a 10x135 rear is it better to have a designated axle through (limit wheel possabilities) or is it better to do a 10x135 QR and I can always use funn bolt through to straigh axle the rear this way Id have the option to run alot more readilly available wheelsets and have the option for a lighter AM build!

So QR or axle through, I want it to be more freeride but light all mountain build possabilities.

Thanks and reasons why is appreciated..:thumb:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well, I have a 10mm 135 QR solid axle system.... Put the bolt on through axle on, and with this one... no difference, so I went back to the QR TA

Transition revolution hub if you care

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I have the 10mm version of the DT RWS on my Double with a Hope 10mm through axle, it works great. Also they make it in a standard qr version. If you go with a Hope Pro2, Hadley, Chris King you can easily convert them from qr to 10mm through axle. Also with a through axle you can use a Hadley 10mm bolt on axle with many different hubs, it fits qr dropouts and can be lighter then a qr setup. I use the Hadley axle with DT/HUGI hubs, Hope Pro2s and of course a Hadley hub.
I have used the Hadley axle on my SXT, Demo7, Commencal Absolut 4x and my Double.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I have the 10mm version of the DT RWS on my Double with a Hope 10mm through axle, it works great. Also they make it in a standard qr version. If you go with a Hope Pro2, Hadley, Chris King you can easily convert them from qr to 10mm through axle. Also with a through axle you can use a Hadley 10mm bolt on axle with many different hubs, it fits qr dropouts and can be lighter then a qr setup. I use the Hadley axle with DT/HUGI hubs, Hope Pro2s and of course a Hadley hub.
I have used the Hadley axle on my SXT, Demo7, Commencal Absolut 4x and my Double.
Cool I didint realize alot of them converted so easily! Thats a huge bonus.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Oh I forgot to mention the DT 440/Hugi Fr is also an easy conversion. I have personally converted the Hugi, Hadley and Hope from qr to the 10mm through and always use the Hadley axle it works great. All 3 of those hubs are easy. I recently switched the Double to that 10mm DT RWS so far works nice but a little heavier the the Hadley axle.
I only use qr on my road bike.

gav_dub100

Chimp
Aug 26, 2009
Dublin
My AM machine has a another system, Syntace X12, that works really well. Not sure how many frame manufacturers use it but it works great, all the stiffness of a regular thruaxle but with ease of use of QR. It uses a standard 135mm spacing hub but with end caps that are 3.5mm longer each side (making it 142mm, i can add me!! :weee:). Anywho, here's a link to more details on it and a pic of my yoke.

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

Attachments

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
10mm thru-axle FTW. Using a Allen key on one bolt is not much slower, and a thru axle is stiffer/stronger.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
You still need another tool on the other side to prevent it from turning, don't you? Unless you want to have it be snug.
Nope. My Hadley thru-axle has a tab on the nut that keeps it square in the drop out. My azonic thru-axle has a nut on each end but I only put a wrench on one side to tighten it. Come to think of it I've never seen one that you needed a wrench on each side.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Nope. My Hadley thru-axle has a tab on the nut that keeps it square in the drop out. My azonic thru-axle has a nut on each end but I only put a wrench on one side to tighten it. Come to think of it I've never seen one that you needed a wrench on each side.
That is why I only use the Hadley axles....On Hope, DT 440/Hugi, and of course my Hadley.
I have one of the DT RWS 10mm axles,.strong as a 10mm thru, tooless but slightly heavier then the Hadley.
Only thing I am not sure what kind of hit the lever can with stand.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
I think Hadley is unique with those tabs. All the other axles that I have had like Intense, Azonic, etc. you need 2 tools to tighten/remove properly, especially if it comes with a lock-nut.

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
That is why I only use the Hadley axles....On Hope, DT 440/Hugi, and of course my Hadley.
I have one of the DT RWS 10mm axles,.strong as a 10mm thru, tooless but slightly heavier then the Hadley.
Only thing I am not sure what kind of hit the lever can with stand.
I bought one without reading reviews and sent it back after reading them. The DT Swiss 10mm system's handle and ratchet interface break apart at bad times.

Avoid this one if you can. I like the Transition Rev 10mm QR axle, but is not sold separately.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
I ran one of the DT RWS 10mm for over a year without any issue. I imagine in the right circumstances I could break it, but it didn't happen. I now prefer the looks and smaller form factor of the Hadley system.

Bullcrew, I'd recommend narrowing down to what frames you want and go from there. 10mm thru axle / thru bolt hubs will work across the board. It is the 12mm thru axle frames than might get you into headaches, a bit less selection there.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I think Hadley is unique with those tabs. All the other axles that I have had like Intense, Azonic, etc. you need 2 tools to tighten/remove properly, especially if it comes with a lock-nut.
The bolt on TA I had for awhile was straight, no tabes or anything like that, it had a nutt on each side. Had an allen key in the end of each side, and a 15mm nut, Never has to use more than just the 15mm wrench. most of them will have neough resistance to turning to be able to use just one tool.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I ran one of the DT RWS 10mm for over a year without any issue. I imagine in the right circumstances I could break it, but it didn't happen. I now prefer the looks and smaller form factor of the Hadley system.

Bullcrew, I'd recommend narrowing down to what frames you want and go from there. 10mm thru axle / thru bolt hubs will work across the board. It is the 12mm thru axle frames than might get you into headaches, a bit less selection there.
I hate the DT system, way to finnicy and fragile. Broke three in a year from impact.