Quantcast

12 Hours of Climbing...I mean Snow Summit

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego
Man, what a way to spend 12 hours! I saw somebody in an RM t shirt, but I was just starting the race so I couldn't say hey. I also read about shocktower's wreck and pissed off wife; sorry and heal quick.

The course was literally 80% climbing/20% downhill. I don't think there were any flat spots at all, except the flat I got on the first lap. What was really cool though, was that everybody that rode by asked if I had everything I needed, so on and so forth. Cool group of people. I ended up fourth in the solo single speed class. I also realized where my training was lacking.

24 Hours of Idyllwild is next.

:thumb:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Was it as hot as it was last year?? I was REALLY bummed I couldn't race it. If it makes you feel any better - I spent my Sat morning riding up and down all the different ways of Mt. Soledad. LOTS of climbing.

Congrats dude!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Are you sure you don't want to try the Big BEar 100 meil epic? That one isn't laps so it's better!

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego
Originally posted by Heidi
Are you sure you don't want to try the Big BEar 100 meil epic? That one isn't laps so it's better!
I really want to do it, but I think it's at the same time as my Sedona trip. I'll check the dates again though. As for BB being hot this weekend, it was mid 90's. The heat didn't bother me though, it was the six miles of climbing on my singlespeed at a cadence of 20.

Did you climb up the backside of Soledad? That last 500 feet is a real b!tch.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by monkeywrench

I really want to do it, but I think it's at the same time as my Sedona trip. I'll check the dates again though. As for BB being hot this weekend, it was mid 90's. The heat didn't bother me though, it was the six miles of climbing on my singlespeed at a cadence of 20.

Did you climb up the backside of Soledad? That last 500 feet is a real b!tch.
Oh, well shoot, it's NO match for Sedona, I LOVE Sedona!

Yep, every way up to that flippin cross. It was pretty nice at the beach - perfect for climbing. The six miles of climbing is kinda tough since it's all at the starting. That's good that it wasn't as hot this year because it can get BRUTAL up there.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
some pyscho (he's actually a cool guy my Manitou friends know) SS racer topped everybody with 13 (or 14) laps... He told us that he flatted halfway on one lap and had to ride that way back to the pit and ruined a rim. It cost him time to replace the wheel from his GF's bike and charged on... That's tough.
Heidi would have kicked butt...her usual competitor (Cara-the chich I thought who's cute) won it with 8 laps..Heidi would have easily slept through 10..
fun weekend....

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Orven
some pyscho (he's actually a cool guy my Manitou friends know) SS racer topped everybody with 13 (or 14) laps... He told us that he flatted halfway on one lap and had to ride that way back to the pit and ruined a rim. It cost him time to replace the wheel from his GF's bike and charged on... That's tough.
Heidi would have kicked butt...her usual competitor (Cara-the chich I thought who's cute) won it with 8 laps..Heidi would have easily slept through 10..
fun weekend....
Slept through??? I doubt it, but I did 5 laps last year on a 2 person team and felt fine. When I originally planned to race it, my goal was 10 laps. Who knows.