Quantcast

12hr downhill race questions

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
wasn't there one held this year @ mt ste anne? did flipside or others race and/or help set this up? i seem to recall that, but a search yielded nothing.

anyway, this idea is being batted about on the bustedspoke forum, and i'd like to canvass ideas and/or experiences from people who have actually either raced in or setup one of these events.

post away.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
It's fun and a good test of how reliable your setup is. Big Bear has been doing it for some time now. I'm hopeful they will get their tallying system organized. I think there shld be more of this kind of event elsewhere like 12 hrs at Northstar...well, maybe not. That would hurt by 1PM....

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Orven said:
It's fun and a good test of how reliable your setup is. Big Bear has been doing it for some time now. I'm hopeful they will get their tallying system organized. I think there shld be more of this kind of event elsewhere like 12 hrs at Northstar...well, maybe not. That would hurt by 1PM....
12hrs at N*?

You are mad, MAD I say!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
This would be a wicked idea. Doing it relay style... fun. Whistler had a take on this idea with them having a most vert ridden in 4 hours on the Garbanzo area.

Glennder!!

Chimp
Jun 14, 2002
East Coast USA
Thanks for the post Narlus. I am the one trying to organize this up in the Northeast. We have some things in the works right now but am awaiting some final companies to sign on to the event. Once this happens you will all hear about the details.

Right now we are pitching it as....
12hr Event
Teams 4-6 people
3 Different coarses (split up through-out the day 4 hours a piece, less erosion)
1 team member on the mountain at 1 time. Including Lift!
Most Team runs in the 12 hour timeframe wins. We are going with a stagared start of say 3 minute intervals per team. Say if your team has a 705am start time, your teams last run down will be at 705pm. That way every team hs the same amount of time. less complaints.

There is some more but this is the basics. Thanks for the input.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Glennder!! said:
Thanks for the post Narlus. I am the one trying to organize this up in the Northeast. We have some things in the works right now but am awaiting some final companies to sign on to the event. Once this happens you will all hear about the details.

12hr Event
Teams 4-6 people
3 Different coarses (split up through-out the day 4 hours a piece, less erosion)
Most Team runs in the 12 hour timeframe wins. We are going with a stagared start of say 3 minute intervals per team. Say if your team has a 705am start time, your teams last run down will be at 705pm. That way every team hs the same amount of time. less complaints.

Glennder-

If you're looking for additional sponsors, please contact me. Provided this doesn't conflict with another major event to which we're already committed, we'd be all over sending the truck over to it and also entering a couple of teams.

Later,

John P.
e13/evil
207-772-3132
johnp@evilbikes.com

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
John P. said:
Glennder-

If you're looking for additional sponsors, please contact me. Provided this doesn't conflict with another major event to which we're already committed, we'd be all over sending the truck over to it and also entering a couple of teams.

Later,

John P.
e13/evil
207-772-3132
johnp@evilbikes.com
Depending on when this event goes down I may be able to make it out. Let me know if you need a slow Expert racer on one of your teams.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Damn True said:
Depending on when this event goes down I may be able to make it out. Let me know if you need a slow Expert racer on one of your teams.
LOL. We'd probably try put together one fast team (Heikki, Avery, Seth . . . Kyle would have been perfect for this :( ) and one slow team (Me, Weagle, Tobler, Jonas, etc.). I'm sure we'll be able to squeeze you in there too, if you can make it!

It will be tricky for all of us to race and then work the pits between runs, but I'm confident we're up to the task. Should be a blast.

--JP

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Ski-Bowl at Government Camp (Mt. Hood, OR) used to do a 100 miles of DH. Teams of 1 or 4 (at least one girl) would see how fast they could get in 100 miles. I think it was about 40ish runs.
I think they stopped doing it as no one showed up?

R

Rabie

Glennder!! said:

12hr Event
Teams 4-6 people

Having such large teams with only one team rider on course seems like it would eliminate much of the point of a 12 hour race. Say a team gets 40 runs in, that's only 10 runs per person, which is pretty weak unless they're all in a row, and in that case it becomes as much about how the other team members can endure the boredom of sitting on their asses in the pits waiting hours to ride. Big Bear runs it with two riders of each four-man team on course at a time, which seems to make more sense. Also makes the start order simple, as each team's first riders go off at normal intervals, and then the second riders go off in reverse order. The race finishes at the same time for everyone, with each team effectively getting the same time on course.

Glennder!!

Chimp
Jun 14, 2002
East Coast USA
Rabie said:
Having such large teams with only one team rider on course seems like it would eliminate much of the point of a 12 hour race. Say a team gets 40 runs in, that's only 10 runs per person, which is pretty weak unless they're all in a row, and in that case it becomes as much about how the other team members can endure the boredom of sitting on their asses in the pits waiting hours to ride. Big Bear runs it with two riders of each four-man team on course at a time, which seems to make more sense. Also makes the start order simple, as each team's first riders go off at normal intervals, and then the second riders go off in reverse order. The race finishes at the same time for everyone, with each team effectively getting the same time on course.

Makes sense Rabie. We will be discussing all of the possibilities over the next 2 weeks before we pitch the event to the venue. I actually only wanted 4 person team but people on another site complained so i was toying with maybe 6. I am going to call Big Bear this week and try and see if they will share some of their knowledge.

Thanks for the feedback I really appriciate it. I just want this to work. I am tired of all the fun races happening on the left coast! :D

flow

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Vancouver
MSA had a 12hr NIGHT DH relay the week before the WC this year.

Rules:
8PM to 8AM, most laps wins
You had to ride in pairs at all times in case of mechanical or crash.
Teams of 4, 6 or 8 were allowed.
You had to run lights on the helmet and bar.

Sounds mental but fun.

agaguq

Chimp
Apr 7, 2002
Québec
The race never started... not enough inscription. It should be repeat next summer for th 20th aniversary of mountain biking in Québec.