Quantcast

12mm - noticable?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Anyone have experience of wheelbase-adjustable bikes? Do you find it makes much difference?

Just realised I can run a comp 32 up back (WOOT! :D) if I turn my dropout spacers around to give me a 12mm (1/2") longer wheelbase (this is on a DHi).

How much difference is 12mm going to make? I think the bike has a really short wheelbase in either configuration (measured at 44.5" and 45" - how does that compare to other DH rigs?)

Don't want to make it too long for the tight technical stuff, and have never felt "unstable" in the short wheelbase setting. Never run it long.

The bike's in pieces at the moment so I wont have the chance to ride it until I get to the Alps next week.

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaappppp!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
hey the wheel base on the dhi is short for a dh bike. but the 12mm will make a big differance. if will make the bike feel more stable at speed and handle a little more sluggishy. the biggest differance though is the way it will take drops. it will be much harder to get the front end off the ground. on my bike with horizontal it make a big differance even if i move it 3mm.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Sir_Crackien said:
on my bike with horizontal it make a big differance even if i move it 3mm.
Jeez!

As you say it will make the front end harder to lift, but I didn't think that much. I don't like the idea of the handling not being as sharp, and have never had any problems with the bike being "unstable" at speed.

Well I have a 2.5" comp 24 on the way, will probably put that up back instead.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
dropmachine.com said:
Its a simple slip of the spacer to find out. Try it. You may not notice it much at all.
Well if I decided to go out to the Alps with a comp32 up back then if I didn't like the longer setting I wouldn't be able to flip it back. And I won't get a chance to fly before I get on the plane. And I won't have the space or weight allowance to go lugging extra tyres out. That's why I asked on here you see.

not because I'm lonely and bored, honest ;)

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
hahaha. What I meant was, try it with your exsisting setup. If I am thinking right, you have what, a 2.3 on there or something right? Wont' be TOO much of a difference when you change the tire over....

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Actually what I had was a pair of 24" doublewides with 2.6" Gazzas on. What I have now is a pair of 26" EX823s with Comp32s on :) There's a couple of doublewides rims lying around, but I don;t really fancy building them back up :P

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I generally ran my DHi in the shorter position, because I thought it was more appropriate for my riding style. So yes, it is pretty noticeable.