Quantcast

12mm rear axle for Chris King conversion

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
I heared you can buy an 12mm axle to stick through a standard CK hub and turn it into a 12mm axle hub for 90 bucks. Now I thought it was at therapy components but they ask for 75 for the conversion itself and 100 for a new axle if I want to keep my old one. Are there any alternatives for 90 dollar or was I not well informed?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Why not buy a stronger more DH worthy hub? The King is nice but a hadley, ringle, hope, DT, etc would be much better for a DH type application.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
no, cause it requires you to drill out the inner axle that you have. and it voids the warrenty of your hub. it works just fine though.

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
I dont trust a DT hub for heavy duty. Hadley would suit better I agree but since I already have these I better use em. I think CK does not make weak hubs although they might ask servicing often than others.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
DukeNukem3d said:
I dont trust a DT hub for heavy duty. Hadley would suit better I agree but since I already have these I better use em. I think CK does not make weak hubs although they might ask servicing often than others.
hm, yes i use mainly hadley hubs. but Kings are meant to last, and DT has hubs that are burly as all hell.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
a friend of mine has a drilled out king for his DHR, it appears to work perfect.

I'd like one too because my hadley annoys me greatly, anyone elses come loose about every 5 rides?

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
360 said:
a friend of mine has a drilled out king for his DHR, it appears to work perfect.

I'd like one too because my hadley annoys me greatly, anyone elses come loose about every 5 rides?
What comes loose ??? I think you are alone on this one.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
take it apart and clean all the crap off the threads. its not suppose to have any lube or nothing on the threads. put it back together.
sometimes i have a little access hadley grease/lube on them, but no issues

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
Nice and it needs to be solved but I would really like some alternatives as 175$ for a modification sounds pretty expensive to me.
Thanks.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i had the conversion done to my hub so it would fit on my orange 223.

i would say its definatly worth it if you alredy have the hub but if you dont i think the hadley that DHS mentioned would be clutch.

also unless you want to switch the hub from bike to bike dont bother with the axle just pay for the conversion.

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
These things don't come second hand either I am afraid, haha.
175 by the way is for a new axle which is 100 and 75 for modifying it. I dont want to loose my QR axle so I would do that instead of wasting my own.

I might use the spacers to ride QR on the rear but I think for DH I should use 12mm instead...

Dilemma !

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
No alternatives or cheaper options? No one but them who makes em?
And does any one make 20mm to QR adapters voor King hubs?

Thanks.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
ok there is no other way but the brake therapy upgrade!!!!! there are no adapters spacers ect. what so ever.

i think if you've alredy invested the money in a king hub u might as well spend the cash and have a wheel that you can put on ither bike.

as you know i had the upgrade done, it was a super-fast turn around. i sent the whole hub and they just put it together. i think there might even be someone for braketherapy on the forums.

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
julian_dh said:
ok there is no other way but the brake therapy upgrade!!!!! there are no adapters spacers ect. what so ever.

i think if you've alredy invested the money in a king hub u might as well spend the cash and have a wheel that you can put on ither bike.

as you know i had the upgrade done, it was a super-fast turn around. i sent the whole hub and they just put it together. i think there might even be someone for braketherapy on the forums.
I live in Europe and shipping my hub is something I rather not do... I had some stuff lost in the post for 2 times now. But you are right, investing a bit is a good thing and does make the hubs more compatible for the future. These will fit an M3 with 135mm dropouts so riding with QR rear on it would be quite stupid.